Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Mustang Mach E Needs a Rethink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a Ford Mustang Mach E in June 2022. 6 months later, trading it in for a MYLR.

Looking back, this car needs to be rethought. Ford's custom configuration / dealer purchasing model creates huge disadvantages for buyers, the features / pricing isn't well thought out, the charging situation is patchwork at best, and the software is inferior to a linked cell phone. It strikes me as first generation technology that would benefit from substantial innovation.

For those considering buying one, educate yourself thoroughly before proceeding. There are many pitfalls along the way.

Purchasing Process - Never Buy from a Dealer

Let's dispel the myth the MME is a "hot" car. Scarcity on dealer lots results from the delivery process. This perception is used against buyers to justify additional dealer markups.

Typically, people reserve a Mach E and receive it 6 - 12 months later. Dealers get these cars when buyers refuse delivery on a reservation.

The trouble with this model is reservation fees are fully refundable. It costs nothing for a buyer to refuse delivery, which creates a situation where dealers are mostly stocking base configurations or maxed out feature packages no one actually wants. When I was buying, it was almost impossible to get a mid-range configuration package (called a Premium,) while Selects and top of the line GTs were abundant.

You start to see the problem when you consider someone buying from a dealer probably hasn't done any research on the full line. In my situation, my old car died and I had about a week to make a decision. I test drove an MME Premium on a Saturday and left without buying. Checked in the next day, the car I drove was already sold but the salesman said there would be another later in the week. He would not be able to hold it, but told me exactly when to be there to make sure I was first in line. Arrived at the dealership, after a brief inspection I moved forward with the purchase.

In retrospect, this was a mistake. The car I test drove was a Premium, the car I bought was a Select. In terms of differences, there was no 360 degree camera, no power lift gates, no heated seats, no front-facing camera, and more. My fault for not thinking this through, but I really wasn't aware of the differences between a Select and a Premium at the time. The lack of those features was consequential. Ford has an autopilot clone called BlueCruise, the lack of a front-facing camera means the car can never take advantage of this feature (incidentally, Ford advertised BlueCruise as a standard feature on all MMEs.) The hardware can't be upgraded.

The price was above MSRP. Had I reserved it, the price would have been $46k. With dealer add ons and optional service packages, the total price was $52k before delivery, taxes, title, and fees. While some of this could be chalked up to urgency, I spent about $6k more than I needed by going through a dealer. Had I custom ordered, the additional features in the Premium would have cost less than the difference.

Never buy an MME from a dealer. If you are forced to, educate yourself on the line beforehand. The Select is a technological dead end.

The MME was Subject to Recall

The day before I purchased the MME, Ford recalled it. While selling a new car subject to recall is illegal, they did it anyway.

I got a call 3 days after purchase telling me the car can brick when I charge it. Don't charge it and bring it back to the dealer until it can be fixed. They had no timeframe for a fix.

As it turned out, the fix took a week. I did receive a loaner during that time so it wasn't a complete inconvenience. But it was unsettling, buying a car and not being able to enjoy it for a week.

The Battery and the Patchwork of Chargers

Ford marketing gives you the impression the range is fine and you're well supported by a nationwide network of fast chargers. That's misleading.

The standard range battery for an MME is rated at 220 miles. The extended range for an MME is rated at 270 miles.

My experience was range did not translate well into miles travelled, my guess is it was about 10% lower on average in the summer. In the winter, the standard range battery drops to 160 miles, lower on really cold days. There were days this winter I was getting 1 mile per percent of range. Creates a massive amount of anxiety getting into your car and wondering what the numbers are going to look like today.

The charging network is a patchwork between Electrify America, Chargepoint, EvGo and a few others. You can find them in any dense urban environment, but they are few and far between as you get away from the coast. Ford offers a navigation app, superficially similar to Tesla's. It will list the closest chargers to your location, even if they are beyond the maximum range of your car. We relied instead on a mobile app called ABRP when we were away from home, which had a more complete list that includes chargers not in the network.

The time to charge is an issue. The maximum charge rate for the MME is 70kw. Even if you are on one that goes 300kw, the best you will ever do is 70kw. But I don't believe I ever saw the full 70kw, typically I was charging at around 40kw max.

Can't overstate how complicated the charger situation made road trips.

Travelling in rural PA, there were no chargers in the network anywhere near us. One morning, I had to get up at 2 while the family slept to charge on a level 2 charger behind a car dealership. It was the only one for 50 miles, and it took 15% off the battery getting there and back. On a trip to West Virginia, we found ourselves in a charging desert, again with no chargers for 50 miles from our cabin. To ensure we would not run out of juice, we just parked and didn't use the car. Anything beyond a few miles walking was out of reach for us.

For both trips, even when we found fast chargers, The amount of time spent at chargers dragged things out. In one case, a 4 hour drive turned into an 8 hour drive. My wife frequently asked what the point of a road trip was in this car.

Ford's Inadequate Technology

Ford overpromises with the technology. It's present, but we found it to be lacking.

The MME comes with dongles for different drivers to offer some personalization features. It has an interior camera which (I believe) does facial recognition. It also has an app that allows remote start and recognizes when you are present to automatically unlock the doors.

This never worked for us. Despite the fact we created individual profiles tied to each dongle / cell phone, the MME only ever recognized my wife as the driver. If I wanted personalized settings, I had to manually select them from the tablet. We devoted a fair amount of time to this feature before deciding it was unimportant because the only thing you can really personalize is drive modes. It's easier to just select a different one when you get in the car.

The MME comes with a number of apps. Most of them proved inferior to their counterparts on our cell phones.

The navigation app is the big one, it's supposed to give you directions and guide you to chargers. The directions suffer from the lack of real time information on traffic. The shortest route is often the most heavily trafficked, but also the maps did not reflect new development and road closures. The first time I tried using it, I was sent to a road that had been blocked off for construction for months. The charger listings are overwhelming. You either get a list of their in-network charging partners - who are often no where near you - or you get to sort through a list of every level 1 and level 2 charger by distance. This is probably the area with the most room for improvement in the whole car.

The energy app is the only one that doesn't replicate something from our phones. It breaks down how much power is being consumed by different activities. We found we didn't have much of a use for it, primarily because the range was so short. We were more interested in finding the next charger than optimizing our battery usage.

The voice command system is very basic and needs some improvements. First off, there are some commands it would suggest, like changing the volume, but not recognize. But the big issue was when the voice command entry would be triggered by someone speaking on a podcast. This happened frequently enough to be a problem, someone would say something and the screen would switch off the maps to a full screen voice command interface. To clear it, I would need to interact with the screen. When the podcast would start up, it would rewind a few seconds and repeat the process.

As I mentioned, BlueCruise is Ford's autopilot equivalent. There's no way to use it on a Select because you don't have the front-facing cameras. What you do get is Enhanced Cruise Control, which gives you lane assist and automatic breaking. This was not bad and the feature I used most often.

I could go on, but basically: we rarely used the voice commands and the only apps we really used were on our phones. Other than the enhanced cruise control, this car didn't do much for us from a technology standpoint.

2021_Ford_Mustang_Mach-E_EXT_Range_AWD.jpg

"2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EXT Range AWD" by Calreyn88 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog feed thumbnail.

The reality is the MYLR (with AB) is faster than the MME GT on the highway (not from a dig). So unless you care about 0-60, comparing a MYLR to a MME GT is actually closer. I dont race ppl from stoplights these days, but I DO pass people on the highway, and to me, thats where you really want the power.
If the battery isn't about 80% or they're running hot, the Mach-E isn't going to get the rated acceleration. They're more sensitive to heat and SOC than Teslas. So, you might be surprised when you match or take one even from a stop light. Can't beat Ford's engineering!

IMO, even when you consider the better suspension and features like magnaride, there's just no point in getting the GT or GTPE trim. It's a waste of money.

Wife has range anxiety ( i don't)

With 40 miles we could do EV 95% of time with full charge overnight. Gas for trips w/o stopping for charge. Maintenance apparently is minimal similar to EVs
Again still doesn’t compute. How can you say “maintenance is minimal similar to EV”. Now you have all the maintenance of an ICE engine And potential future EV maintenance?? An engine (ICE) v8 or 3 cylinder still has maintenance so this makes no sense to me. Going through the motions of charging every night to get a few dozen miles just to save 1 Gallon of gas??? Confusing to me sorry.

Again still doesn’t compute. How can you say “maintenance is minimal similar to EV”. Now you have all the maintenance of an ICE engine And potential future EV maintenance?? An engine (ICE) v8 or 3 cylinder still has maintenance so this makes no sense to me. Going through the motions of charging every night to get a few dozen miles just to save 1 Gallon of gas??? Confusing to me sorry.

Apparently (don't own a "high" range PHEV yet) the ICE part doesn't get used as much if you charge every night. See @Tha_Ape post for actual user data.

The Ford dealer I bought it from had me convinced the Select was the middle-tier. I was also told this was the most popular configuration in the US.

First-time EV buyers with a short timeframe to purchase are at a disadvantage in a dealership. While this decision is ultimately on me, I can see so many ways for things to go wrong unless you do a lot of research before talking to a salesperson.

First time meeting someone with 4 EVs + other ICE cars for personal use. You must be a dealer.

You believe dealer lies? Selects were never that high in demand and were available at MSRP during the crazy shortage era. Order banks never closed for them in 22. Premium and CR1 closed first and very early which signified major demand for them.

As for the cars I’ve owned… not at the same time. I rotate often.

Nowadays availability is pretty good for RAV4 Prime compared to a year ago. I thought they were overpriced back in 21 and 22 but now without the tax credit they are vastly overpriced. I said the same thing about Teslas back in 21/22. Now at $52K with tax credit, the Model Y is correctly priced.

I think PHEVs are perfect for single car families with access to charging at home or work. I’m borrowing a friend’s Wrangler 4xE this week and am impressed by the powertrain. It’s a fun peppy little Jeep that is throughly enjoyable and not a soulless appliance.

I spent this weekend driving 150+ miles on gas on Saturday then 200+ miles with my Mach-E on Sunday. Saturday was stress free (attended event in morning ) and I roamed around with 450+ miles of gas range and stations everywhere. Sunday required one pit stop because I only charged my Mach-E to 80% that night (so 224 miles of range) and my pit stop was an Tampa EVGo station kept failing to initiate a charge. I had enough juice to return home but I wanted to roam around Tampa after picking up an E-bike from a friend… but without chargers I could only make limited side stops and had to return to specific areas with charging. I can see families not wanting to spend the extra time planning their life around chargers and wanting a PHEV. The RAV4 Prime would have been perfect for the Sunday trip. 500+ mile of gas range and enough cargo space to haul that e-bike.

Reactions: vickh
Nowadays availability is pretty good for RAV4 Prime compared to a year ago. I thought they were overpriced back in 21 and 22 but now without the tax credit they are vastly overpriced. I said the same thing about Teslas back in 21/22. Now at $52K with tax credit, the Model Y is correctly priced.

I think PHEVs are perfect for single car families with access to charging at home or work. I’m borrowing a friend’s Wrangler 4xE this week and am impressed by the powertrain. It’s a fun peppy little Jeep that is throughly enjoyable and not a soulless appliance.

I spent this weekend driving 150+ miles on gas on Saturday then 200+ miles with my Mach-E on Sunday. Saturday was stress free (attended event in morning ) and I roamed around with 450+ miles of gas range and stations everywhere. Sunday required one pit stop because I only charged my Mach-E to 80% that night (so 224 miles of range) and my pit stop was an Tampa EVGo station kept failing to initiate a charge. I had enough juice to return home but I wanted to roam around Tampa after picking up an E-bike from a friend… but without chargers I could only make limited side stops and had to return to specific areas with charging. I can see families not wanting to spend the extra time planning their life around chargers and wanting a PHEV. The RAV4 Prime would have been perfect for the Sunday trip. 500+ mile of gas range and enough cargo space to haul that e-bike.

Good pts. I might just put in a $40K offer for this ;) before accepting my SR Y delivery

Last edited:
You believe dealer lies? Selects were never that high in demand and were available at MSRP during the crazy shortage era. Order banks never closed for them in 22. Premium and CR1 closed first and very early which signified major demand for them.

As for the cars I’ve owned… not at the same time. I rotate often.
This was my first time going through that experience, it does disarm a person.

My OP details the situation. You might want to read through the Mach E Forums, there's more than a few others who also fell for a dealer's pitch. You could drive a fleet of cars between what they say and the reality of the situation.

I still don't know why Ford considers their dealer network a strength, other than from the standpoint of predatory capitalism.

Reactions: vickh
This was my first time going through that experience, it does disarm a person.

My OP details the situation. You might want to read through the Mach E Forums, there's more than a few others who also fell for a dealer's pitch. You could drive a fleet of cars between what they say and the reality of the situation.

I still don't know why Ford considers their dealer network a strength, other than from the standpoint of predatory capitalism.
Ford doesn't admit to any detriment.

Ford put out a press release the day they announced their earnings. Interesting reading, worthy amount of doublespeak.

This part in particular stood out:

They make a car that loses 30% of battery capacity in the cold. They tout their success as declared by industry publications.

That last one made me chuckle. CR's review made a big deal out of driver attention, as though that made BlueCruise able to navigate roads in North America. Just their basic maps directed me to closed roads and heavy traffic, was this not part of the CR review?
Why were the Ford's drawbacks not part of CR's review? Because it is not in CR's interest as a subsidiary of the Ford Foundation.
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is # 3 on the list. Bill is a known Tesla detractor and short seller, probably taking every opportunity for a needle prick against Tesla by elevating reviews of competitors' ADAS.

CR is owned by Consumers Union. Here are the grantors according to Google/Bard:

"Consumers Union has received grants from a variety of foundations and individuals, including:
  • The Ford Foundation
  • The Rockefeller Foundation
  • The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
  • The Carnegie Corporation of New York
  • The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
  • The Open Society Foundations
  • The Kresge Foundation
  • The Hewlett Foundation
  • The Packard Foundation
  • The Annie E. Casey Foundation"
Let's now compare these results to the consumer testing that is performed by some where Tesla sits on the board of grantors. Oh wait, there is none.

Then let's see another consumer test where Tesla's PR department has spun all the background stories, given journalists free cars for three weeks of personal use, then flown them to a luxury resort for some whining and dining. Well, Tesla doesn't have a PR department. They spent the money on making better cars instead, how unsophisticated ;)

My wife really wanted a Tesla. I was hesitant, mostly because so many of our friends own Teslas. They tend to obsess over them, every time the topic comes up I have to sit through 10 - 20 minute speeches about why I should get one.
:eek::D:D Not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. I find this hilarious, especially since I have been partly guilty of this.:D
Distinguishing us from them was an important part of any new car purchase. Also, Teslas all kind of look like large wheeled eggs to me.
:D
So I took her on a test drive of an 8-speed manual Dodge Challenger Hellcat. The interior is imposing, coming up to my shoulders when seated. The cabin really only has room for 2 occupants, the backseat is very constrained. When turned on, it constantly rumbles, even in park. The entertainment panel had USB slots for connecting storage / MP3 players and I was not sure there was a way to connect a cell phone. None of that mattered.

What impressed me was the performance, 0-60 in well under 2 seconds
You're joking, right?

Here is what Bard had to say tonight:
"An average driver can expect the Dodge Challenger Hellcat to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in around 4.5 seconds on a real road. This time can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the driver's skill level" Then I asked what it would cost to get in under 3 sec: "The cost of getting a Hellcat under 3 seconds will vary depending on the specific modifications that are made. However, it is generally possible to get a Hellcat under 3 seconds with a few thousand dollars worth of modifications."

Now that I own a MYLR, tho, would advise no one buy any of these cars. Let me tell you at length about all the things the Tesla can do.
LOL!!

Reactions: scratch
This seemed more like a charging infrastructure (or charging hardware on the Mach-E) problem rather than a problem with EVs in general. I can almost guarantee your MY would have been a lot less stressful.

Driving a Mach-E is not a good barometer of EV life. It has iffy charging hardware and software, depends on iffy charging networks (until Tesla's become more open), and there aren't enough of them on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
Purchased a Ford Mustang Mach E in June 2022. 6 months later, trading it in for a MYLR.

Looking back, this car needs to be rethought. Ford's custom configuration / dealer purchasing model creates huge disadvantages for buyers, the features / pricing isn't well thought out, the charging situation is patchwork at best, and the software is inferior to a linked cell phone. It strikes me as first generation technology that would benefit from substantial innovation.

For those considering buying one, educate yourself thoroughly before proceeding. There are many pitfalls along the way.

Purchasing Process - Never Buy from a Dealer

Let's dispel the myth the MME is a "hot" car. Scarcity on dealer lots results from the delivery process. This perception is used against buyers to justify additional dealer markups.

Typically, people reserve a Mach E and receive it 6 - 12 months later. Dealers get these cars when buyers refuse delivery on a reservation.

The trouble with this model is reservation fees are fully refundable. It costs nothing for a buyer to refuse delivery, which creates a situation where dealers are mostly stocking base configurations or maxed out feature packages no one actually wants. When I was buying, it was almost impossible to get a mid-range configuration package (called a Premium,) while Selects and top of the line GTs were abundant.

You start to see the problem when you consider someone buying from a dealer probably hasn't done any research on the full line. In my situation, my old car died and I had about a week to make a decision. I test drove an MME Premium on a Saturday and left without buying. Checked in the next day, the car I drove was already sold but the salesman said there would be another later in the week. He would not be able to hold it, but told me exactly when to be there to make sure I was first in line. Arrived at the dealership, after a brief inspection I moved forward with the purchase.

In retrospect, this was a mistake. The car I test drove was a Premium, the car I bought was a Select. In terms of differences, there was no 360 degree camera, no power lift gates, no heated seats, no front-facing camera, and more. My fault for not thinking this through, but I really wasn't aware of the differences between a Select and a Premium at the time. The lack of those features was consequential. Ford has an autopilot clone called BlueCruise, the lack of a front-facing camera means the car can never take advantage of this feature (incidentally, Ford advertised BlueCruise as a standard feature on all MMEs.) The hardware can't be upgraded.

The price was above MSRP. Had I reserved it, the price would have been $46k. With dealer add ons and optional service packages, the total price was $52k before delivery, taxes, title, and fees. While some of this could be chalked up to urgency, I spent about $6k more than I needed by going through a dealer. Had I custom ordered, the additional features in the Premium would have cost less than the difference.

Never buy an MME from a dealer. If you are forced to, educate yourself on the line beforehand. The Select is a technological dead end.

The MME was Subject to Recall

The day before I purchased the MME, Ford recalled it. While selling a new car subject to recall is illegal, they did it anyway.

I got a call 3 days after purchase telling me the car can brick when I charge it. Don't charge it and bring it back to the dealer until it can be fixed. They had no timeframe for a fix.

As it turned out, the fix took a week. I did receive a loaner during that time so it wasn't a complete inconvenience. But it was unsettling, buying a car and not being able to enjoy it for a week.

The Battery and the Patchwork of Chargers

Ford marketing gives you the impression the range is fine and you're well supported by a nationwide network of fast chargers. That's misleading.

The standard range battery for an MME is rated at 220 miles. The extended range for an MME is rated at 270 miles.

My experience was range did not translate well into miles travelled, my guess is it was about 10% lower on average in the summer. In the winter, the standard range battery drops to 160 miles, lower on really cold days. There were days this winter I was getting 1 mile per percent of range. Creates a massive amount of anxiety getting into your car and wondering what the numbers are going to look like today.

The charging network is a patchwork between Electrify America, Chargepoint, EvGo and a few others. You can find them in any dense urban environment, but they are few and far between as you get away from the coast. Ford offers a navigation app, superficially similar to Tesla's. It will list the closest chargers to your location, even if they are beyond the maximum range of your car. We relied instead on a mobile app called ABRP when we were away from home, which had a more complete list that includes chargers not in the network.

The time to charge is an issue. The maximum charge rate for the MME is 70kw. Even if you are on one that goes 300kw, the best you will ever do is 70kw. But I don't believe I ever saw the full 70kw, typically I was charging at around 40kw max.

Can't overstate how complicated the charger situation made road trips.

Travelling in rural PA, there were no chargers in the network anywhere near us. One morning, I had to get up at 2 while the family slept to charge on a level 2 charger behind a car dealership. It was the only one for 50 miles, and it took 15% off the battery getting there and back. On a trip to West Virginia, we found ourselves in a charging desert, again with no chargers for 50 miles from our cabin. To ensure we would not run out of juice, we just parked and didn't use the car. Anything beyond a few miles walking was out of reach for us.

For both trips, even when we found fast chargers, The amount of time spent at chargers dragged things out. In one case, a 4 hour drive turned into an 8 hour drive. My wife frequently asked what the point of a road trip was in this car.

Ford's Inadequate Technology

Ford overpromises with the technology. It's present, but we found it to be lacking.

The MME comes with dongles for different drivers to offer some personalization features. It has an interior camera which (I believe) does facial recognition. It also has an app that allows remote start and recognizes when you are present to automatically unlock the doors.

This never worked for us. Despite the fact we created individual profiles tied to each dongle / cell phone, the MME only ever recognized my wife as the driver. If I wanted personalized settings, I had to manually select them from the tablet. We devoted a fair amount of time to this feature before deciding it was unimportant because the only thing you can really personalize is drive modes. It's easier to just select a different one when you get in the car.

The MME comes with a number of apps. Most of them proved inferior to their counterparts on our cell phones.

The navigation app is the big one, it's supposed to give you directions and guide you to chargers. The directions suffer from the lack of real time information on traffic. The shortest route is often the most heavily trafficked, but also the maps did not reflect new development and road closures. The first time I tried using it, I was sent to a road that had been blocked off for construction for months. The charger listings are overwhelming. You either get a list of their in-network charging partners - who are often no where near you - or you get to sort through a list of every level 1 and level 2 charger by distance. This is probably the area with the most room for improvement in the whole car.

The energy app is the only one that doesn't replicate something from our phones. It breaks down how much power is being consumed by different activities. We found we didn't have much of a use for it, primarily because the range was so short. We were more interested in finding the next charger than optimizing our battery usage.

The voice command system is very basic and needs some improvements. First off, there are some commands it would suggest, like changing the volume, but not recognize. But the big issue was when the voice command entry would be triggered by someone speaking on a podcast. This happened frequently enough to be a problem, someone would say something and the screen would switch off the maps to a full screen voice command interface. To clear it, I would need to interact with the screen. When the podcast would start up, it would rewind a few seconds and repeat the process.

As I mentioned, BlueCruise is Ford's autopilot equivalent. There's no way to use it on a Select because you don't have the front-facing cameras. What you do get is Enhanced Cruise Control, which gives you lane assist and automatic breaking. This was not bad and the feature I used most often.

I could go on, but basically: we rarely used the voice commands and the only apps we really used were on our phones. Other than the enhanced cruise control, this car didn't do much for us from a technology standpoint.

View attachment 898916
"2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EXT Range AWD" by Calreyn88 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog feed thumbnail.
its ugly...it needs a new name too...it is a cut on the actual real mustang style. WHY name it mustang? its an suv...it really hurts the mustang name. they should have just released the actual mustang style in ev...awd...would have been way better

This seemed more like a charging infrastructure (or charging hardware on the Mach-E) problem rather than a problem with EVs in general. I can almost guarantee your MY would have been a lot less stressful.

Driving a Mach-E is not a good barometer of EV life. It has iffy charging hardware and software, depends on iffy charging networks (until Tesla's become more open), and there aren't enough of them on the road.

Even if it was a Tesla... it's not care-free.

This weekend I went to Starke, FL to race my Ioniq 5 at the FIRM. It added about 2 hours extra because I had to detour to Gainesville to an EA charger, charge, then drive to the race track. I could have driven straight to the track with a gas car in 2 less hours total instead of 4 hours and having to wake at 4am to reach the track around 8am (130 miles to EA charger plus 35 miles to track) - which I did with my Bronco for an Overland Expo through the scenic(ish) Ocala forest.

I would have to make a detour with a Tesla too. Superchargers aren't everywhere like gas stations.

I'm 100% buying another Bronco and driving it with the top down - everywhere. There's something amazing about care-free driving and not needing to plan and having cool breeze over you as you drive. EVs are far from that. You have to be an anal planner who hates life.

I spent this weekend driving 150+ miles on gas on Saturday then 200+ miles with my Mach-E on Sunday.
I can see families not wanting to spend the extra time planning their life around chargers and wanting a PHEV. The RAV4 Prime would have been perfect for the Sunday trip. 500+ mile of gas range and enough cargo space to haul that e-bike.
Mr. Voxel: Thank you for your post and very sorry about your Mach-E experience.

According to ABPR, if you leave Altamonte Springs, FL in a model YLR with 90% charge, you arrive in Starke with 37%. On the way back, you stop in Ocola, FL at 16%, charge for SEVEN MINUTES to get to 43%, then you return home with 10%. That's rather easy, stress-free, and fast, no?

-------------------

Perhaps I didn't understand your route? If so however, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding your wholesale condemnation of EVs. I think other posters have pointed out here that even in a Mach-E, very soon your car will have an adapter provided to use Tesla SCs. (I have no idea about "magic docks" but that may be a possibility as well.)

If we are to avert climate catastrophe, we need to drastically reduce our carbon emissions *immediately*. Most non-crazy BEVs (i.e. not an e-hummer or e-GMC truck) not only have no direct emissions but they use of order 4X or less equivalent energy to do the same drives as an ICE car. This is because of thermodynamics; only a tiny amount of combustion has ever, after like 150 years of development, been converted to motion.

PHEVs are a really good solution for many families - but they are USELESS when it comes to long road trips. After the electric range, they use MORE gasoline than non-PHEVs. Look up the freeway mpg of the RAV4 with and without the plug-in feature: the freeway mpg is lower for PHEVs. So, I have to clarify that 500 mile road trips are where PHEVS are NO good. Back to the family choice: PHEVs are only good if the family takes few road trips beyond their electric range; but most do not, most take mostly very short trips. (Saving the extraction energy and damage by having only a small battery pack is a GOOD thing climate-wise, but again, doesn't work if you do significant highway driving. Also, weirdly, studies show that people with PHEVs don't plug them in very much - so go figure, a short-range BEV is what they should really get if they want to recoup savings and minimize emissions.)

So like I said, maybe I did not understand your route, but elsewhere there are plenty of SCs. In CA there is almost nowhere you can go without plenty of superchargers on the route. I looked at trips to remote national parks, remote backcountry destinations, and I found there was a cleverly placed SC in the "gateway" city to all these destinations. I also checked routes to popular national parks starting in CA going as far as UT - same deal. I did this after I took an ICE car on a UT parks tour and saw Teslas in these places. I couldn't believe they could get there, then talked to the owners and they said "no problem".

I'm getting to loathe Musk, I am not a fanboy (fanbois?) of Teslas and you can read my list of objections and shortcomings to Tesla elsewhere on this site. At the risk of getting attacked here, I stand by these- PLENTY of imperfections in Teslas. Plenty of things to like in non-Tesla BEVs. Well, I bought a Tesla anyway thinking, "it's the right thing for the climate, I'll grit my teeth". I'm totally surprised, and I'm eating a bit of humble pie, but I'm rather enjoying my "lowly no extras" MYLR. I've never had any problem getting to the most remote backcountry destinations. The car will get you there and back. Now that SCs are opening up for other cars, that should change things for them as well.

I think you should consider getting a MYLR, perhaps used on the cheap (there is such a thing now, with all the discounts and the plentiful supply) for a couple years, then later you can go buy the next model year mustang if you prefer that. Fiskars will let you ride around with the top down. But please don't get an ICE car. People like me say that you owe it to future generations, just as many generations before you sacrificed for people in their future. Getting a nice BEV is a pretty minor sacrifice compared to say, my father's generation, who fought in WWII for future generations.

-TPC

lowly, boring, pearl 2023 MYLR no options

Reactions: alexgr and WADan

Mr. Voxel: Thank you for your post and very sorry about your Mach-E experience.

According to ABPR, if you leave Altamonte Springs, FL in a model YLR with 90% charge, you arrive in Starke with 37%. On the way back, you stop in Ocola, FL at 16%, charge for SEVEN MINUTES to get to 43%, then you return home with 10%. That's rather easy, stress-free, and fast, no?

-------------------

Perhaps I didn't understand your route? If so however, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding your wholesale condemnation of EVs. I think other posters have pointed out here that even in a Mach-E, very soon your car will have an adapter provided to use Tesla SCs. (I have no idea about "magic docks" but that may be a possibility as well.)

If we are to avert climate catastrophe, we need to drastically reduce our carbon emissions *immediately*. Most non-crazy BEVs (i.e. not an e-hummer or e-GMC truck) not only have no direct emissions but they use of order 4X or less equivalent energy to do the same drives as an ICE car. This is because of thermodynamics; only a tiny amount of combustion has ever, after like 150 years of development, been converted to motion.

PHEVs are a really good solution for many families - but they are USELESS when it comes to long road trips. After the electric range, they use MORE gasoline than non-PHEVs. Look up the freeway mpg of the RAV4 with and without the plug-in feature: the freeway mpg is lower for PHEVs. So, I have to clarify that 500 mile road trips are where PHEVS are NO good. Back to the family choice: PHEVs are only good if the family takes few road trips beyond their electric range; but most do not, most take mostly very short trips. (Saving the extraction energy and damage by having only a small battery pack is a GOOD thing climate-wise, but again, doesn't work if you do significant highway driving. Also, weirdly, studies show that people with PHEVs don't plug them in very much - so go figure, a short-range BEV is what they should really get if they want to recoup savings and minimize emissions.)

So like I said, maybe I did not understand your route, but elsewhere there are plenty of SCs. In CA there is almost nowhere you can go without plenty of superchargers on the route. I looked at trips to remote national parks, remote backcountry destinations, and I found there was a cleverly placed SC in the "gateway" city to all these destinations. I also checked routes to popular national parks starting in CA going as far as UT - same deal. I did this after I took an ICE car on a UT parks tour and saw Teslas in these places. I couldn't believe they could get there, then talked to the owners and they said "no problem".

I'm getting to loathe Musk, I am not a fanboy (fanbois?) of Teslas and you can read my list of objections and shortcomings to Tesla elsewhere on this site. At the risk of getting attacked here, I stand by these- PLENTY of imperfections in Teslas. Plenty of things to like in non-Tesla BEVs. Well, I bought a Tesla anyway thinking, "it's the right thing for the climate, I'll grit my teeth". I'm totally surprised, and I'm eating a bit of humble pie, but I'm rather enjoying my "lowly no extras" MYLR. I've never had any problem getting to the most remote backcountry destinations. The car will get you there and back. Now that SCs are opening up for other cars, that should change things for them as well.

I think you should consider getting a MYLR, perhaps used on the cheap (there is such a thing now, with all the discounts and the plentiful supply) for a couple years, then later you can go buy the next model year mustang if you prefer that. Fiskars will let you ride around with the top down. But please don't get an ICE car. People like me say that you owe it to future generations, just as many generations before you sacrificed for people in their future. Getting a nice BEV is a pretty minor sacrifice compared to say, my father's generation, who fought in WWII for future generations.

-TPC

lowly, boring, pearl 2023 MYLR no options
um.. I went to a race track to autocross my EV… why would I do that with 37% SoC?

I burnt 15-20% SoC just at the track alone. I also would not drive a MYLR on a track either. MYP with track mode and better tires or bust.

Consider getting a MYLR? Lol. I’ve owned 4. I’ve owned 2 RAV4 Primes, MINI electric, BMW i4, four Mach-Es, ID.4, Model 3 RWD, and now an Ioniq 5 Limited. I’ve test driven almost everything EV/PHEV including a BMW XM to the lowly Bolt. I’ve pretty much tracked all my EVs too.

My favorite EV to date is my former BMW i4. It’s truly a luxury cruiser with range and premium features. I stupidly traded it for the worst car I’ve ever owned - a 23 Sequoia TRD Pro.

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr
Consider getting a MYLR? Lol. I’ve owned 4. I’ve owned 2 RAV4 Primes, MINI electric, BMW i4, four Mach-Es, ID.4, Model 3 RWD, and now an Ioniq 5 Limited. I’ve test driven almost everything EV/PHEV including a BMW XM to the lowly Bolt. I’ve pretty much tracked all my EVs too.

My favorite EV to date is my former BMW i4. It’s truly a luxury cruiser with range and premium features. I stupidly traded it for the worst car I’ve ever owned - a 23 Sequoia TRD Pro.
So, you OWNED 15 EV or PHEVs, huh. This sounds as aggravated promiscuous relationships. No offense, but if you are not a dealer or a youtuber, and you really have money and time for all that, then you are perhaps one of the most miserable rich people I could imagine.