Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Focus EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the new SW update for my FFE. I had to go to the dealer for it and they had issues but I got my car back the day after I dropped it off and the new SW is great. It fixes a number of issues and adds more EV features.

The Nav system has been upgraded quite a bit, it now shows blink, chargepoint and other charging stations with their respective icons. I get map updates via Sirus now which is new. The traffic is better and updates properly. The nav rubberbanding is much improved.

All in all, very nice and it feels like a major upgrade to the software.

Ford Focus Electric 2014 pricing

Ford's announced price drop for the 2014 Focus Electric, while welcome, is less than the unofficial price drop of the 2013 model - they have been offering -$12,500 manufacturers incentives on leases for several months, and several thousand discount purchase.

The FFE is now available in VT. There is one dealer who is keen on selling it. I'm going to visit them in the next few days (50 mi away). It will be impossible to find the $200 lease deals but $300 is possible and these cars come pretty much loaded. The FFE works way better than a Leaf when temps drop below 0 deg F. Not a Tesla by any measure but not just an econobox either.

My wife just bought one! It's funny my first impression was "It has no power!" My wife's first impression was "Wow it has lots of power!" I drive a Roadster, she drove a Toyota. LOL.

Next thing I noticed is the battery gauge is insanely stupid. Just one of many things that Tesla implemented really well in both the MS and Roadster that Ford got wrong.

The FFE is now available in VT. There is one dealer who is keen on selling it. I'm going to visit them in the next few days (50 mi away). It will be impossible to find the $200 lease deals but $300 is possible and these cars come pretty much loaded. The FFE works way better than a Leaf when temps drop below 0 deg F. Not a Tesla by any measure but not just an econobox either.

My wife just bought one! It's funny my first impression was "It has no power!" My wife's first impression was "Wow it has lots of power!" I drive a Roadster, she drove a Toyota. LOL.

Next thing I noticed is the battery gauge is insanely stupid. Just one of many things that Tesla implemented really well in both the MS and Roadster that Ford got wrong.
you can change the left hand display in the FFE. There are much better ones than the default option. I use a semi-custom display myself.

you can change the left hand display in the FFE. There are much better ones than the default option. I use a semi-custom display myself.

I finally got some time to play around with the left display. What did you do? What do you mean by semi-custom? My wife mostly drives the car and she likes where I left it which shows budget mode. It's still fairly stupid. Tell me if I'm wrong but it appears the range display is calculated based on the last 6 miles of driving? And there is no way to display "ideal" or "rated" range as Tesla calls it?

Maybe some of you know how to indicate how many amps the car is charging at. It would be really helpful to display that.

Driving in "L" is so much better than "D". It would be much smarter if they just put the L driving mode where the D is now. The only difference is the amount of regen on the accelerator pedal.

My wife likes the car. I think it's going to work out well for her.

I don't have the manual in front of me. But I use the display showing my Braking, Acceleration and Cruising efficiency combined with energy expenditure of climate control, as well as the other systems marked. Finally there is a expected range and budgeted range all on screen at once.

Note you can hit the left dpad while looking at some of the displays to show a more nuanced view of each of the last N minutes and its usage. The left display is pretty interactive.

It doesn't have a way to display the ideal or rated range. But as I am not used to that I don't miss it. It does show anticipated time to recharge inside when you are charging though not amps. So once you connect if you open the car door and sit down you can see the time it will take to recharge given the current connection. That is going to be on the right display.

I completely agree regarding L vs D. I drive in L almost all the time. It is easy to bump the stick up to get into D as well and I do that sometimes when at a light on an freeway onramp and I think I might have to punch it hard to deal with some idiot.
djw

I completely agree regarding L vs D. I drive in L almost all the time. It is easy to bump the stick up to get into D as well and I do that sometimes when at a light on an freeway onramp and I think I might have to punch it hard to deal with some idiot.
djw
Actually the D and L settings are identical except when braking. One does not give you any more power or speed than the other. The only difference is that L gives you stronger regen when you let your foot off the accelerator. It's one of those things that reminds you that this is not an EV from the ground up, but rather a converted Ford Focus.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife just got her plates for the FFE. The plate reads: GAS 332

She wants to send it back to the DMV and let them know that you don't put "GAS" plates on an EV! My 18 year old son feels differently. He thinks it's so ironic and funny that we should keep it.

I'm not sure what to think... Would like to get the opinions of you folks on TMC. Should we keep these plates? Or send them back to the DMV?