Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forget Everything I Have Said... I’m Now Totally In!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very, very interesting Randy, very suspicious too at that they had just a pair of DRIVER SIDE DOOR GLASS just waiting to go! ... lol... and nothing else, no body panels... just side glass... lol.

I really don't know why you all keep saying this? The event was hosted at the TESLA DESIGN STUDIO.. hello?? That's where the CT was designed, prototyped, and built. OF COURSE they would have lots of spare parts on the campus. As @MorrisonHiker and Abstract Ocean showed, it was at more than an hour before we saw them carrying over the two replacement panes of glass across the back lot. They absolutely were NOT sitting backstage with replacement glass and techs at the ready to replace the glass. It had to have been at least 90 minutes if not two hours before the CT rolled out for test rides. If the entire thing was planned, they would have had all those parts and people to swap out the glass and not make hundreds of people, employees, event staff, catering, and security staff wait around for hours for rides to start.

I was way back in the line and got a test ride just around midnight -- because the staff was marking each badge with the date to show you already took a test ride, and we were joking with them that they have to start writing the next day on there pretty soon. And there were still lots of people behind us. I don't know when they shut it down. But I'm sure everyone involved would have liked to go home two+ hours earlier.

Yes, I'd bet real money that it wasn't staged, but there's no way to prove (or disprove) it, so it's pointless.

Oh, and another thing probably nobody else noticed.

The little "ball drop test rig" they had to demonstrate the CT glass? That was rigged. My friend and I went over to look at it, and despite being "shooed away" by a teenage rent-a-cop (we didn't leave).. the clamps holding the CT glass to the frame were quite flexible (not sure how to describe it). So when the ball dropped, the glass had quite a bit of room to move to absorb the force of the ball. The non-CT glass was clamped down hard to make sure it would break.

Oh, and another thing probably nobody else noticed.

The little "ball drop test rig" they had to demonstrate the CT glass? That was rigged. My friend and I went over to look at it, and despite being "shooed away" by a teenage rent-a-cop (we didn't leave).. the clamps holding the CT glass to the frame were quite flexible (not sure how to describe it). So when the ball dropped, the glass had quite a bit of room to move to absorb the force of the ball. The non-CT glass was clamped down hard to make sure it would break.

Please allow me to clarify... this is what the bet is riding on... from my first post:

"Remember these words after the windows broke?...
Elon = Well there’s room for improvement!” My prediction will be once this baby is ready for prime time production, Elon will have another event where hundreds of large steel balls will rain down from above while air cannons fire even more from the sides but NOTHING WILL BREAK this time.... Elon will then step to the mic with that huge Musk grin of his and say... “Ummm... I guess we improved it!... now come and get it!!!” ... or something to that effect!"

Agreed, no way to PROVE the glass incident was staged or not (I was only asking for opinions based on observation of Elon's business practices) ... so staged or not, I believe Elon will exploit the broken glass incident in some way to establish his "room for improvement" remark once the CT is ready for Prime-Time with a second even more elaborate demonstration. So, are we on?

If you watch bullet proof glass get shot, it cracks but it stops the bullet. When I initially saw the Cybertruck presentation, I was amazed the ball didn’t go through the glass; I didn’t think it was a failed demo. Any normal piece of automotive side glass would’ve shattered into a million pieces and the ball would’ve gone through.

"Remember these words after the windows broke?... Elon = Well there’s room for improvement!” My prediction will be once this baby is ready for prime time production, Elon will have another event where hundreds of large steel balls will rain down from above while air cannons fire even more from the sides but NOTHING WILL BREAK this time.... Elon will then step to the mic with that huge Musk grin of his and say... “Ummm... I guess we improved it!... now come and get it!!!” ... or something to that effect!"

I'm not sure how that proves anything other than a brilliant marketing plan to take advantage of an unfortunate accident. The past is the past.. nothing wrong with moving forward with a good plan to exploit that. Doesn't mean for a second that the CT demo was staged.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
If you watch bullet proof glass get shot, it cracks but it stops the bullet. .

This is the problem with human memory. There was, in fact, no bullet-proof glass demo or video. The glass was never claimed or demonstrated to be bullet-proof. The video you're thinking of was the stainless steel skin being shot at with a 9mm round. NOT THE GLASS.

Start video at about 8m15s:

Also, at around 11m20s, you can see when the ball is dropped from the top of the drop tube on to the CT glass -- ALL of the red clamps holding the glass break loose. At lower drops on the CT glass one or two clamps would break loose. But at the highest drop, they all did... which dissipated A LOT of the force from the ball drop preventing the glass from breaking.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
This is the problem with human memory. There was, in fact, no bullet-proof glass demo or video. The glass was never claimed or demonstrated to be bullet-proof. The video you're thinking of was the stainless steel skin being shot at with a 9mm round. NOT THE GLASS.

Start video at about 8m15s:

Also, at around 11m20s, you can see when the ball is dropped from the top of the drop tube on to the CT glass -- ALL of the red clamps holding the glass break loose. At lower drops on the CT glass one or two clamps would break loose. But at the highest drop, they all did... which dissipated A LOT of the force from the ball drop preventing the glass from breaking.

This is the problem with human reading comprehension. There was, in fact, no ‘a Cybertruck has bulletproof glass’ statement in my post. The reference was an analogy (def: a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification). Typical automotive glass shatters. Bullet proof glass breaks, but it still performs its function of stopping a bullet. I was amazed that the Cybertruck glass didn’t break similar to, but not exactly like, bullet proof glass. Therefore, that’s why I didn’t think the demo was a failed demo.

What else in my post(s) need clarification?

I didn’t think the demo was a failed demo.
I'd stepped out of the room for a minute during that fiasco. Came back in, saw the break, saw Elon rolling with it, figured it was a planned part of the show. Had seen the "bounce" tests, understood the physics involved, thought the point was the ball still hadn't gotten thru the glass; if it could stop that, I'm fine with it.

BTW a small stone hit our non-transparent-aluminum window last week; very annoyed by the crack. Were the projectile a 4" steel ball, I'd be mourning my wife. Give me the CT's window already.

This is the problem with human reading comprehension. There was, in fact, no ‘a Cybertruck has bulletproof glass’ statement in my post. The reference was an analogy (def: a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification). Typical automotive glass shatters. Bullet proof glass breaks, but it still performs its function of stopping a bullet. I was amazed that the Cybertruck glass didn’t break similar to, but not exactly like, bullet proof glass. Therefore, that’s why I didn’t think the demo was a failed demo.

What else in my post(s) need clarification?

Ok, accept my apology for misreading your post. I misread it as "If you watch the bullet proof glass get shot..."

But I have seen dozens of other posts on TMC, Twitter, Facebook and reddit where people really think they saw a bullet-proof GLASS demo (video) during the CT reveal.

Reactions: Black306
While the above posters saying that Elon "is a magician" are literally far more correct than many people realize, I lean towards not planned also.

His face was completely flushed with embarrassment and his body language which was also telling, was hard to fake. He raced through the slides and it was obvious he planned to go into more detail but he didn't want that truck with busted windows sitting behind him any longer than absolutely necessary. I also believe they would've swapped the windows out faster if it was planned.