Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 decision time: used now vs new later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the difference? And I think I'd be fine with older console.

You're suffering from analysis paralysis. Just drive over to the dealership, check the car to make sure it's as described and you enjoy driving it, and buy it if everything checks out. If you want to get a Model Y, you won't get a better deal than this.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Model 3 decision time: used now vs new later

Personally, the most important criteria for making such choice are:
- the battery capacity, or left of it, and
- the daily range that you need if you can charge at home, or
- the weekly range if you need to use a public L2 charger.
and also the battery and power drive warranty, or left of it.

For a used Model 3, having EAP or FSD included could be something to consider,
but I think the transfer is only possible from direct third party sale and not from a dealer,
unless getting a pre-own from Tesla.

If not in hurry, I would wait to know more about the coming Model 3 Highland update,
in particular regarding a possible new battery capacity and range.

Best of course regarding battery capacity and warranty,
would be getting a new Model 3, especially if you can get any tax incentives.

Last edited:
So I'm planning to go out tomorrow and pick up the Model Y. However, it's a four drive for me. I'm renting a car one-way, and will drive the Model Y home.

I had a friend warn me that the price is so low it could be "blacklisted" by Tesla and you can't supercharge it? How would I check that?

I ran the number through the VIN Recall Search tool at Tesla.com, it doesn't show any issues.

Any other suggestions on what I should do?

So I'm planning to go out tomorrow and pick up the Model Y. However, it's a four drive for me. I'm renting a car one-way, and will drive the Model Y home.

I had a friend warn me that the price is so low it could be "blacklisted" by Tesla and you can't supercharge it? How would I check that?

I ran the number through the VIN Recall Search tool at Tesla.com, it doesn't show any issues.

You can ask over here Bought a model Y that I thought had clean title and found out it was salvage

That search tool does not tell you if it is salvage. Many of the cars with too good of a price are red flags because they are salvage and may lose supercharging as soon as ownership changes (sometimes Tesla does not check until owner changes so the car may still have it working now and then fail as soon as you take over) as well as have a void warranty. Tesla does now have a salvage recertification program to regain supercharge network, but you have to pay for it.
Tesla to allow salvaged vehicles back on Supercharger network

You would need to run the VIN through some vin check websites to actually check the history:
Research Vehicle History

So, for those of you that are curious, here is how this landed: the dealership advertising that Model Y doesn't have it. They claimed they sold it already (but it's still advertised on their website, along with quite a few others under $40k).

I drove out and checked out what they have. The cheapest Y they had was this 2021 Model Y performance for $45k. Probably a fair price, but more than I wanted to spend.

So that brings me back to the Model 3 I mentioned when starting this thread. I've gone back and forth about this, but here's my situation: I need a car for my line of work (I'm a Realtor), and I put about 22k miles per year on my vehicle. My current vehicle (2014 Chevy Traverse) has transmission problems and electrical problems the dealer can't figure out, and it's at 183k miles. There's a chance I could nurse it along and maybe get a better price on a Model 3 next year--but there's also a chance that the Traverse will have a catastrophic transmission failure and I'll be forced to buy something fast.

I don't like that uncertainty. And the sooner I can get into a Tesla, the sooner I'm starting to save money on fuel.

So, I just bought the Model 3. I really would prefer a Y, but this car will suit me just fine for 98% of what I need and it's much cheaper than a Y. For the other 2% of my needs, my wife has a full size SUV that I can use (e.g., if I need to haul more people or things than the Model 3 can fit).

So that's in. I guess I'm officially in the Tesla Motors Club now ;)

So, for those of you that are curious, here is how this landed: the dealership advertising that Model Y doesn't have it. They claimed they sold it already (but it's still advertised on their website, along with quite a few others under $40k).

I drove out and checked out what they have. The cheapest Y they had was this 2021 Model Y performance for $45k. Probably a fair price, but more than I wanted to spend.

So that brings me back to the Model 3 I mentioned when starting this thread. I've gone back and forth about this, but here's my situation: I need a car for my line of work (I'm a Realtor), and I put about 22k miles per year on my vehicle. My current vehicle (2014 Chevy Traverse) has transmission problems and electrical problems the dealer can't figure out, and it's at 183k miles. There's a chance I could nurse it along and maybe get a better price on a Model 3 next year--but there's also a chance that the Traverse will have a catastrophic transmission failure and I'll be forced to buy something fast.

I don't like that uncertainty. And the sooner I can get into a Tesla, the sooner I'm starting to save money on fuel.

So, I just bought the Model 3. I really would prefer a Y, but this car will suit me just fine for 98% of what I need and it's much cheaper than a Y. For the other 2% of my needs, my wife has a full size SUV that I can use (e.g., if I need to haul more people or things than the Model 3 can fit).

So that's in. I guess I'm officially in the Tesla Motors Club now ;)
Congrats

Right now, Tesla is discounting current Model 3's for around $39,000 with immediate delivery. (need to check and see what might be available from your nearest delivery center. This is to clear the decks prior to the release of the upcoming refresh.

If you can quality for the $7,500 Federal Tax credit that would make a new one close to the price of the used one. Need to wait until January to get Credit, but hopefully you can figure out a way.

You can also now sell your current car now for some cash plus referral for $500 and it would be your best financial deal. ($31,000)

If you have State or Utility rebates, that would make it even sweeter.

As you found out, many dealerships advertise a super low price on a desirable vehicle to get you into their dealership. Once you get there the car is conveniently "Sold", but they have others (with more profit) to sell you.

I'll keep an eye out for discounted current year AWDs. I just checked and there's nothing under $45k--and I really do need a car now. My Traverse has been in the shop for 4 out of the last 10 weeks!

You can also now sell your current car now for some cash plus referral for $500 and it would be your best financial deal. ($31,000)

Not sure I'm following, where would I sell my current M3 for $30,500 and get a $500 referral fee? Trade-in on my M3 is, I think, only about $22k.

I'll keep an eye out for discounted current year AWDs. I just checked and there's nothing under $45k--and I really do need a car now. My Traverse has been in the shop for 4 out of the last 10 weeks!

Not sure I'm following, where would I sell my current M3 for $30,500 and get a $500 referral fee? Trade-in on my M3 is, I think, only about $22k.

Try to sell your car privately. This forum has a section for this.

Me neither. That's why I was confused by Unclepaul's saying I could "sell your current car now for some cash plus referral for $500."

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for a rock bottom new M3 priced at $39k. After tax credit and referral fee that would be only $31k. I would certainly go for that if it does become available. But if that doesn't surface I've got an M3 to drive 😁

Reactions: ModelX
Me neither. That's why I was confused by Unclepaul's saying I could "sell your current car now for some cash plus referral for $500."

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for a rock bottom new M3 priced at $39k. After tax credit and referral fee that would be only $31k. I would certainly go for that if it does become available. But if that doesn't surface I've got an M3 to drive 😁

Good luck! I’ve seen new Model 3’s for $38k in LA inventory. If you one day decide to give up your current M3, lmk. I’m always looking for a used Tesla for family. I’ll give you more than what Tesla offers you for trade-in :)