Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forward collision warning - false alarms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else noticing more frequent false alarms on forward collision warning lately? I've had it happen a few times now when entering my garage, or the parking garage at work. The screen will show one or two phantom cars in front of me highlighted in red, then they disappear. They tend to alarm my passengers so it's not a good look.

This happened to me today on the way home in residential streets around 6pm.. not dark at all. I was following a big white truck which seemed to be floating/jerking back and forth on the screen (though driving pretty steadily in "real life"). The parked cars on the right side of the street seemed to float/jerk a little back and forth and triggered collision warnings. Firmware updated yesterday as well (2018.18.3).

I've got my forward collision warning on late, which helps to decrease the false alarms. I've been tempted to turn it off completely as the previous car I drove for over 10 years didn't have a collision alarm. The car doesn't like how fast I come to a stop sometimes and the collision warning scares the hell out of me when I'm not expecting it.

My wife just now avoided wrecking the car because of this safety feature. She would not have been able to stop in time if not for that warning. I will deal with the occasional false alarms, thank you very much.

In my current car, when my wife is driving I am the collision warning alarm....it never ends well for me to alarm her that she is approaching a slowed/stopped car at like 40mph because apparently a high speed crash is better than being told she is a horrible driver.

I can't wait to have collision warning so that the car can tell her that she sucks (which will reinforce that all of my worries were justified).

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and TT97
In my current car, when my wife is driving I am the collision warning alarm....it never ends well for me to alarm her that she is approaching a slowed/stopped car at like 40mph because apparently a high speed crash is better than being told she is a horrible driver.

I can't wait to have collision warning so that the car can tell her that she sucks (which will reinforce that all of my worries were justified).
I need a fully aware system that can tell her:

1. You just went through a red light
2. You pulled out in front of that car without even looking
3. There was a person behind you, but he jumped out of the way so you wouldn't hit him
4. That's not considered a "Stop"

I'm really tired of being that system.