Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forward screen depiction useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t see the point of the screen space used to model what is in front of the car. All I have to do is raise and center my eyes and I have a much more detailed, clear and three-dimensional view of what’s ahead of me. And if I don’t look at that view, with my eyes out the front windshield, the car tells me to. What I can’t see easily, especially with the small rear window, is what’s going on behind me. A depiction of that would be useful. The current view shows only about 6 feet behind the car. The useless forward view now takes up about 2/5 of the screen to no benefit.

I don’t see the point of the screen space used to model what is in front of the car. All I have to do is raise and center my eyes and I have a much more detailed, clear and three-dimensional view of what’s ahead of me. And if I don’t look at that view, with my eyes out the front windshield, the car tells me to. What I can’t see easily, especially with the small rear window, is what’s going on behind me. A depiction of that would be useful. The current view shows only about 6 feet behind the car. The useless forward view now takes up about 2/5 of the screen to no benefit.

There are three mirrors available for rear viewing.

Viewing the rear camera on the screen is easily done, but it tends to make people car sick, because it is going backwards.

I have been experimenting with the driving visualization, in regards to blind spot detection of other vehicles, since the visualization was improved in one of the recent updates. I have found that if I minimize the entertainment display at the bottom, I can see cars about a car lenght to the rear of my car. I would also like Tesla to adjust the visualization further to the rear. Such a change would make it more useful and improve driving safety.

I have been experimenting with the driving visualization, in regards to blind spot detection of other vehicles, since the visualization was improved in one of the recent updates. I have found that if I minimize the entertainment display at the bottom, I can see cars about a car lenght to the rear of my car. I would also like Tesla to adjust the visualization further to the rear. Such a change would make it more useful and improve driving safety.
But again all that space wasted showing what’s easily seen in front of you.

Reactions: philw1776
There are three mirrors available for rear viewing.

Viewing the rear camera on the screen is easily done, but it tends to make people car sick, because it is going backwards.
Yes but there is a big windshield showing what’s in front of you! What’s the point of showing that? I think they’re just showing off that they can do it and don’t care about wasting space. I’d rather see more map.

Reactions: philw1776

I think that visualization is meant, more-so, to build trust in the FSD/Autopilot system. It explicitly shows you cars/pedestrians/street signs/and the tentacle to let you know what the AI of the car is seeing and planning on doing. If you had no feedback loop, especially while using FSD/AP, I imagine it would be quite alarming.

Its also a neat party trick and can be useful occasionally, but I tend to agree that your eyes out the windshield work much better.

I think that visualization is meant, more-so, to build trust in the FSD/Autopilot system. It explicitly shows you cars/pedestrians/street signs/and the tentacle to let you know what the AI of the car is seeing and planning on doing. If you had no feedback loop, especially while using FSD/AP, I imagine it would be quite alarming.

Its also a neat party trick and can be useful occasionally, but I tend to agree that your eyes out the windshield work much better.
I agree, and I don't think the visualization is intended to be a driving aid. I don't think you can rely on it / trust is for that purpose - just because it's not depicting a car near you doesn't mean that there isn't a car there.

I agree with wishing it displayed more behind the car. I do think there is some value to displaying cars/objects in front of you. I think there's room for improvement and the utility isn't a ton....but I think there is some value.

First it can help the driver monitor autopilot and FSD. It can/could give you a sense of why the car is doing what it is doing and give you a heads up that the car will make a mistake in the future...for example if it doesn't display a car/pedestrian/stop sign up ahead to the right where there actually is one. This could be a big help for monitoring a L2 system. I think it's poor in that I get phantom braking from time to time and the display doesn't show a reason why...did it think it saw a car stopped up ahead etc.

Second, your usuable field of view outside isn't as much as you can simultaniously view and process on the screen. You can't really monitor the car on your left, the car in front of you and the car on your right simultaneously looking outside. Your eyes only accuratly focus on about 20 degrees at any given time. You can see more in your pariphary but your ability to accuractly see outside of that is quite limited compared to within the 20 or so degrees. That's one reason why some drivers "just didn't see you". They may have been overrelying on their periphial vision. The visual allows you silultaniously see you entire surroundings to a certain extent. Also, the visuals have the potential to highlight (turn red and flash etc.) to the driver predicted threats which could help catch your eye and help you take corrective actions sooner.

Not saying it's super great, but it's also not worthless.

I wholeheartedly agree.

IMO, rear and side visibility in Teslas isn't as good as it could be and there's an opportunity for the UX to be rethought from the ground up (taking advantage of all tech in these cars). Consider the every day maneuver of changing lanes on a freeway:

- you put your blinker on
- then you need to be monitoring the target lane in front of you, the two lanes to directly beside you, and high speed approaching traffic behind you
- Well, you should be. Most drivers are sloppy.
- in a Tesla you have no less than 5 different tools to consider using: side mirror, FSD visualization, fender camera, the blind spot indicator light, and a good old fashion shoulder check (actually turn your head and look)

I personally don't find that any one of those options quite works as well as I'd like.