Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found iPad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might also try letting Tesla know, just in case the owner contacts them. Hopefully, the owner has iCloud and "Find my iPhone" active and can track it down as well as send you a message on the screen with their contact info.

I don't know your iPad knowledge, but a few things you can try to do (some only work if the device doesn't have a passcode on it):

- make sure Wi-Fi is active, hopefully, it's got the "join new wi-fi networks" option set, but this is the first item to make sure that Find my iPhone has a chance of working. If it's a cellular model (black band on the back of the case along the top edge), the system doesn't need Wi-Fi for Find my iPhone to work.

- If the iPad is unlocked, see if mail is configured. Send an e-mail from the iPad to itself to let the person know you have it, obviously, they'd be reading it with a different e-mail client.

- Even if the iPad is locked with a passcode, as long as they haven't disabled siri on the lock screen, try using siri to get in contact with the person. A couple suggestions would be: "facetime myself", "facetime my wife", "facetime my husband", "text myself call me at 555-1212 to get your iPad back", "text my wife ...", "text my husband ..."

- Even if the device is locked with a passcode, you could hook it up to computer and iTunes might give you their name ("John's iPad" or "John Doe's iPad")

The best thing to do is keep it charged and on the Internet if at all possible, so the Find my iPhone feature has a chance to work.

Since you're not familiar with iDevices:

To activate Siri, it's either to say "Hey siri" or hold down the home button on the faceplate for ~1 second, it will beep and show a mic on the screen if Siri activates. At that point, you can give it a request through siri. These activation options could be disabled...

For the wi-if to be active, swipe up from the bottom of the screen (brings up control center) and verify that the wi-fi symbol is lit.

Swiping down from the top of the screen brings up the Notification Center, which may have some indications as to the owner...

• Informative
Reactions: DaddyP713
This thread is a good reminder to put an label on the back of an iPad or iPhone with your email address.

One location where Wi-Fi may work with a locked iPad is at an Apple Store. Too bad Apple wasn't any help on the phone.

Wired internet is possible with modern iOS devices. Connect an Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with both an Apple USB Ethernet Adapter (connected to wired Ethernet) and the iPad charge cable (required to power both adapters and charge the iPad).

ios-ethernet.jpg

Photo and details at: Use Wired Ethernet On Your iPad or iPhone