Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found out what’s causing undercarriage composite to break apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 371044 View attachment 371045 View attachment 371046 View attachment 371047 View attachment 371048 View attachment 371049
Build date was December, 2018. Here’s a few pics. Not sure how many bolts it’s supposed to have. I also noticed some strange round marks on the underside on left and right sides where it wraps under the bumper, not sure what those are from.

This is truly impressive. You are missing what is called the “M3 Mid Aero Performance” cover. It is typically held on by 13 bolts. I can only see the location of three of them in your pictures easily, and they are all missing. Presumably most of the rest are missing too.

Unless there was sabotage, this is Tesla’s fault.

Separately, your rear diffuser (this is the black plastic bit with the ribbed pattern on the inside, which is attached to the bumper cover (you can’t see the attachments)) is hanging on by just a couple bolts. I would pop the rear plastic covers and make sure those remaining 2 bolts are tightened right now. There are 5 bolts that are missing (at least). Two are shared with the mid aero cover (which are missing as previously mentioned). One goes in that middle missing bolt hole. The last two are a little further back in obvious bolt holes (the middle one of these holes does not have a bolt anymore in recent builds).

This is all Tesla’s fault unless there was sabotage. I would drive to a service center (slowly) and complain. If you cannot avoid freeways I would recommend mobile service for the 5 missing bolts before driving. It is probably possible to get a matching bolt (and washer) from Home Depot for *temporary* attachment for driving to service. You can take out one of the remaining two bolts behind the plastic covers and use it to get the appropriate size and thread pitch bolt at Home Depot, if you want to go that route with your $60k vehicle.

The aero cover does not need to be in place for short freeway runs though it will reduce loads on the rear bumper cover. That’s why that (the diffuser) must be properly attached before driving at speed.

This is an issue Tesla should give you a loaner for or fix immediately. I’m a little concerned the bumper cover may be warped now, but it might be ok. Just have to make sure it has all the attachments (there are two Torx screws and 6 clips in the wheel wells).

This is all something that can be fixed by a pro in less than an hour. Not major.

Your entire rear bumper cover and diffuser is in danger of falling off.

You can use this opportunity to take a picture of the plate on your motor (it is obscured in your picture, the square metallic plate on the left side of the rear motor). What is your build date? Which type of Model 3? :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
This is truly impressive. You are missing what is called the “M3 Mid Aero Performance” cover. It is typically held on by 13 bolts. I can only see the location of three of them in your pictures easily, and they are all missing. Presumably most of the rest are missing too.

Unless there was sabotage, this is Tesla’s fault.

Separately, your rear diffuser (this is the black plastic bit with the ribbed pattern on the inside, which is attached to the bumper cover (you can’t see the attachments)) is hanging on by just a couple bolts. I would pop the rear plastic covers and make sure those remaining 2 bolts are tightened right now. There are 5 bolts that are missing (at least). Two are shared with the mid aero cover (which are missing as previously mentioned). One goes in that middle missing bolt hole. The last two are a little further back in obvious bolt holes (the middle one of these holes does not have a bolt anymore in recent builds).

This is all Tesla’s fault unless there was sabotage. I would drive to a service center (slowly) and complain. If you cannot avoid freeways I would recommend mobile service for the 5 missing bolts before driving. It is probably possible to get a matching bolt (and washer) from Home Depot for *temporary* attachment for driving to service. You can take out one of the remaining two bolts behind the plastic covers and use it to get the appropriate size and thread pitch bolt at Home Depot, if you want to go that route with your $60k vehicle.

The aero cover does not need to be in place for short freeway runs though it will reduce loads on the rear bumper cover. That’s why that (the diffuser) must be properly attached before driving at speed.

This is an issue Tesla should give you a loaner for or fix immediately. I’m a little concerned the bumper cover may be warped now, but it might be ok. Just have to make sure it has all the attachments (there are two Torx screws and 6 clips in the wheel wells).

This is all something that can be fixed by a pro in less than an hour. Not major.

Your entire rear bumper cover and diffuser is in danger of falling off.

You can use this opportunity to take a picture of the plate on your motor (it is obscured in your picture, the square metallic plate on the left side of the rear motor). What is your build date? Which type of Model 3? :)
Thanks for the information. Build date was December, 2018. Drove slowly to service center this morning using back roads, so we’ll see what they say. Again, thanks for the feedback. Cheers.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Bolt installers trying to keep up with the Model 3 production ramp / end of year rush:

Thanks for the information. Build date was December, 2018. Drove slowly to service center this morning using back roads, so we’ll see what they say. Again, thanks for the feedback. Cheers.
Forgot to add that it’s a dual motor long range model, not the performance.

Did they end up fixing it up for you today or did they give you a loaner?

When I went to get some of these bolts that I was missing, they said they didn’t have any (very odd!)...so maybe you’ll have to wait...

Anyway let us know when it is all fixed up.

When I went to get some of these bolts that I was missing, they said they didn’t have any (very odd!)...so maybe you’ll have to wait...

A bit late on the reply but yes, they ended

Hey Alan. Just now got around to replying...anyway, they did fix everything so I’m good to go. Great service all around, no issues. They gave me a loaner Model S (I like my M3 way more lol), took about three days to fix. I’m assuming because the parts had to be ordered. Thanks again for the feedback. The car is amazing, really enjoying it! Cheers. - Ricky

A bit late on the reply but yes, they ended

Hey Alan. Just now got around to replying...anyway, they did fix everything so I’m good to go. Great service all around, no issues. They gave me a loaner Model S (I like my M3 way more lol), took about three days to fix. I’m assuming because the parts had to be ordered. Thanks again for the feedback. The car is amazing, really enjoying it! Cheers. - Ricky

Great to hear. Hopefully they will get word back to the factory that they need to tighten those bolts. Who knew that would be necessary?

Reactions: dhanson865
@ricardo_1 I have the exact same problem! Although now that I've taken a look I realize I don't have anything cover both the rear and front motors! Were you only missing the rear composite material?

I got the car a few weeks ago and was hearing weird noises coming from rear from the day I got it. When it snowed the past couple days, there was a clear ground-scraping noise. I looked under, and the black plastic piece under the bumper had been scooping snow off the road and was being weighed down enough to touch the ground. The snow was super compacted in there.

@AlanSubie4Life ricardo showed a pic of his bumper cover coming off at the seam near the wheel well. Do you think there could be any damage there, e.g. the separation is stripping some threading?

@ricardo_1 I have the exact same problem! Although now that I've taken a look I realize I don't have anything cover both the rear and front motors! Were you only missing the rear composite material?

I got the car a few weeks ago and was hearing weird noises coming from rear from the day I got it. When it snowed the past couple days, there was a clear ground-scraping noise. I looked under, and the black plastic piece under the bumper had been scooping snow off the road and was being weighed down enough to touch the ground. The snow was super compacted in there.

@AlanSubie4Life ricardo showed a pic of his bumper cover coming off at the seam near the wheel well. Do you think there could be any damage there, e.g. the separation is stripping some threading?

The snowpocalypse in Seattle claims a Model 3 victim! Sorry to hear it.

Based on what you say: probably your aero covers fell off nearly immediately because they weren’t properly attached. Stunning, but definitely not unheard of.

Sounds like your rear diffuser was acting as a scoop for the snow since the mid aero cover was no longer present. Absolutely there could be damage (bent brackets, ripped out plastic attachments, etc.). You can probably look once all the snow melts out if you don’t mind sliding under the vehicle (use clothes you don’t care about and a bright flashlight). Sounds like your aero covers were not attached properly, and it likely was not your fault, if you are missing both. You could just not bother with inspection and just take it to Tesla. They should repair it under warranty (whether they will...YMMV). You probably do not need a new bumper cover (good to avoid having to paint match anything), but it depends - there are attachment points in the wheel wells that could be damaged.

It’s also possible that the aero covers were partially attached and the snow finished them off.

One way you can tell is to look for the bolts...if all the bolt/washer combos are still present (13 in the rear, 8+ in the front) it might be “your fault” (drove through a bunch of heavy snow and high centered or whatever - you could certainly argue this should not cause failure though) - if there are a minimal number of bolt/washers remaining, probably not your fault.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's about the right place to drill it appears, if you feel it's necessary. I'm not going to worry about it, but in freezing/wet climates I might think about it. Overall I'd be pretty loathe to drill it though! I've attached a picture of the upper side of where you drilled; you can see there is a lip which would definitely accumulate a little water (which you have eliminated). I suspect eventually a small hole will get plugged by dirt and rocks though (same issue as the undercover will have - you bring up a good point - it may be that if these drain holes get plugged that the water weight would be too much - I'm not sure).

In wet conditions, yeah, it's really hard to predict exactly how these things will behave, it's very hard to know exact how water will be splashed & channeled. All you can do easily is make sure you have all the bolts! Note that for the bumper cover, there is actually one bolt that you can't see, which is located on the forwardmost edge (middle hole in the picture below), underneath the undercarriage cover (this one is unlikely to be missing though since I don't think it can fall out even if it loosens). So there are 7 (2+2+3) (or 8 (2+3+3) for some early cars) attachment bolts on the bottom side of the rear bumper cover. This is explained in most hitch install videos, though sometimes it isn't obvious.

View attachment 359936

I'm considering drilling this hole. Is it still agreed that this is the best spot? And just to confirm, this is slightly on the passenger side of the center line, correct?

I'm considering drilling this hole. Is it still agreed that this is the best spot? And just to confirm, this is slightly on the passenger side of the center line, correct?

Yeah, that is about right.

Personally, I would not drill. I would determine if I had a problem by removing the three (you might need to remove a couple from aero under cover as well) bolts and seeing whether there is an accumulation of dirt. Or: modest amounts can be flushed by parking the car pointed downhill and flushing copious amounts of water through, starting from the trunk area, I think.

• Helpful
Reactions: hcdavis3
Yeah, that is about right.

Personally, I would not drill. I would determine if I had a problem by removing the three (you might need to remove a couple from aero under cover as well) bolts and seeing whether there is an accumulation of dirt. Or: modest amounts can be flushed by parking the car pointed downhill and flushing copious amounts of water through, starting from the trunk area, I think.

I'm in SoCal so I'm not anticipating a tremendous amount of dirt there, although I do occasionally drive a short distance on a dirt road, I just don't like the idea of water accumulating. I'll take your advice though and hold off on drilling for now.

I just don't like the idea of water accumulating

I'm in SoCal too. As long as you're not at elevation in a place susceptible to icing (prolonged sub-freezing temps seem unlikely in California, even at elevation), the water does just flow out as soon as the car becomes level or slightly downhill. It's really more of an annoyance. I park my car pointed downhill when I wash my car (which ensures the water just flows out) so that I don't have a few cups of water flow out onto the floor of the garage when it levels out (if I am pointed uphill when washing then water accumulates in the rear diffuser). It doesn't take much of a hill to get it to flow out (downhill) or accumulate (uphill).

Reactions: Magnets!
This is horrible. Has Tesla declined to fix this issue?

I don’t think it is that big a deal. I think in cases where it is due to missing fasteners Tesla has generally replaced it free of charge. Some people have paid, others have not - depends on the argument they make and the specific situation. I suspect that if Tesla got a lot of these immediately after a heavy rain they might be less inclined to replace them under warranty...because if you drive through a huge puddle it can definitely cause damage, and that is really not Tesla’s fault (though you could make an argument for poor design, at some point enough water at sufficient speed will damage any vehicle).

If there are bolts missing Tesla really has to replace it under warranty. All bolts should be present and they should not loosen.