TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Found out what’s causing undercarriage composite to break apart

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Redrick00, Nov 19, 2018.

1. vcao

vcao Member

I had both missing, both front (mid?) and back. Both motor areas were exposed.

2. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

Wtf. First I found a screwlose in my door now this thread with water entering the car? Wtf it’s like a bad gift that keeps on giving

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Honestly, though it is unbelievable that pieces of the car are missing, this is a minor issue in the big scheme of things. The water accumulation is largely a non-issue especially since you are in LA (it's more of an issue of dirt accumulation in areas which use a lot of sand on the roads). Just don't drive fast through any large puddles to avoid the ripping. I haven't had any problems at all. Everything seems good under the car, and I've checked. Survived our rainy winter.

Also check to make sure you have everything and that there are no missing bolts...

4. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

Ummmmm I paid 51k for this car. A lose bolt from some pot head assembly worker to me is an issue lol still love the car. I just gotta laugh at your comment.

5. AlanSubie4Life

#165 AlanSubie4Life, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Not saying it's not an issue. Just a minor issue; it is easy to check and easy to fix. As I said, it is unbelievable, especially for the cost of these cars. Mine was missing several bolts. I tightened the remaining ones and got a couple replacements. I'm still missing one, since the service center was out of them 6 months ago when I went in. :)

You do absolutely have to have the performance aero covers/shields under the vehicle, though. They protect the motors from incidental road debris, and prevent the rear bumper cover from falling off. Someone who was missing one had their oil filter punctured.

• Funny x 1
  6. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

Oil filter??? This is for an ice car?

7. AlanSubie4Life

#167 AlanSubie4Life, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Yes, each motor has an oil filter. They use oil for lubrication of the gears and perhaps for cooling, and the filters pick up any assembly debris and reduce incidence of premature motor (gear) failure & wear. There is no replacement required for the life of the vehicle as far as I know, though it might be prudent at some point, to make sure that debris is removed entirely from the vehicle.

Part 5 in the diagram below. This is the rear drive unit. Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 10.52.10 PM.png

• Informative x 1
  8. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Active Member

Makes you wonder what other parts are missing.

9. Triplett

Triplett Banned

I would give that car back and demand a new one.

Not a chance in hell I accept that.

• Like x 1
  10. AlanSubie4Life

11. mbdionio

mbdionio Member

wow. I'm glad we don't have snow nor salt on the road here in central Texas.

12. Dbello70

Dbello70 Member

Thank you all for posting about this issue. It really educated me when the same thing happened to me and it got me angry. My Mid Aero Shield was damaged last week in the rain. I was shocked to find out Telsa was not covering it under warranty, especially with the TSB that was issued earlier this year. My Model 3 is 2 months old and I live in Miami where it rains, hard, all summer. After reading all the damaged aero shield posts on this forum and others, I'm more annoyed. I wrote Tesla and I'm attempting to invoked arbitration on this issue. I have also complained to the NHSTA, DOT, Florida AG's Office, the CFPB and the Better Business Bureau. Its really not about the $214 it cost to replace the shield. Its about a clearly defective part that should be recalled and replaced. The service guy at the Tesla Coral Gables service center said the Tesla mid aero shield, part # 1104313-00-B, is the number 1 stocked item at their service center. Yes, I had the new aero shield required by the TSB and it still failed. I paid $60k for a car i cant drive in the rain. 20190820_213325.jpg 20190820_213330.jpg

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  13. KenC

KenC Active Member

They need to apply a bead of adhesive to that leading edge, because once the water gets ahold of an edge, it's gonna tear it off.

14. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

If it's secured properly and not damaged, it works fine.

15. AlanSubie4Life

Do you have dashcam (and more specifically side repeater) video of the event that damaged the cover? Would be helpful to see what it takes.

In addition, if the cover is not properly secured, it is definitely more vulnerable. My sense is that if you go through significant standing water, it is at risk regardless, though. Never had any problems myself. Got my last bolt for the middle from the mobile service guys a couple months ago. Bolting secured!

16. Joseperous

Joseperous New Member

My composite material has ripped as well. I frequently drive through a car wash because I live in San Jose and don't have a garage and like having a clean car. In addition to replicating hole # 5, I am considering making a fiber glass repair where the composite was torn. After removing, cleaning and drying that composite peice, in addition to repairing the rip with fiber glass, I may as well coat the whole thing with fiber glass resin. It's already made of fiber, so it should bond well and be strong, stiff and much more water resistant.

Any thoughts?

• Like x 1
  17. Furstenwalde

Furstenwalde Member

Thanks for the link, just got waved at and driver came alongside to let me know something was hanging down under my car. It was that panel, it had ripped and a section was ripped so it was like a mud flap under the middle of my car. I used your link and filled out the form. As they are interested in safety concerns I wrote it this way.
    "Fiber panel extending from rear bumper under vehicle forward to the battery pack deforms after becoming wet and rips apart. This panel can come out from under the car while driving at high speed and cause driver behind to swerve to avoid the large panel and have an accident. Water accumulates in panel from rain and puddles and lowers it into the wind stream and then it becomes ripped and can be torn loose."

• Informative x 1
  18. Electric Dream

Check to see if the bolts holding the panel in place are still there or some/all are missing.