TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Found out what’s causing undercarriage composite to break apart

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Redrick00, Nov 19, 2018.

1. xilex

xilex Model P3D

Is this undercarriage something that you can physically rip apart with your hands?

2. Redrick00

Redrick00 Member

89B2247E-74A9-4848-BCB3-87BECFAE6552.jpeg 89B2247E-74A9-4848-BCB3-87BECFAE6552.jpeg
    Thanks for the work, I’ll have to check and see if I’m missing any of those bolts. I watched one of my videos and see where it’s possibly draining from one of the holes you indicated. On the attached screenshot I marked that possible hole location and the spot where it overspills, which is where I first spotted after car wash.

3. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

No it can’t be ripped apart easily. It’s the same material as the wheel well stuff as far as I can tell.

• Helpful x 1
  4. Redrick00

Redrick00 Member

FE585D8C-1BDE-4AD2-8075-87F001A251D7.jpeg Update after latest car wash. Before drilling holes on bumper cover water would spill from front side of felt composite panel leaving one streak of water down the driveway. I covered drilled holes and only left holes 4 & 5 uncovered. On attached image you can now see two streaks of water that drained from drilled holes before over spilling to composite panel.

5. AlanSubie4Life

I confirmed with a couple other people that they have the center bolt on the undercarriage composite, and I can see the bolt head in your pictures as well. Mine was very likely never installed, based on the condition of the threads and no imprint marks from a washer.

Guess I have to add another bolt (was missing one on the front at delivery) to the list for the mobile ranger, if they ever contact me! Maybe I will swing by the service center to see what they can give me on the spot. Just can’t leave the car there; it is apparently a dangerous place.

Personally I wouldn’t drill the cover; I plan to park my car facing downhill (it is easy for me) when I wash it from now on. It seems like drainage isn’t perfect but is adequate, except for the bumper cover, with the car facing uphill. That could be bad in freezing conditions, as mentioned.

6. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

My early August build has all 3 bolts in the plastic cover areas.

I can’t see far enough under my car to see how many of the bolts for the composite cover are there/not there.

7. AlanSubie4Life

Probably easiest to take a picture with a phone, reaching from in front of the rear driver side tire. That way you can relatively easily capture that middle bolt on the composite cover. The rest of the bolts are mostly visible for that cover, with the exception of a couple on each side tucked behind the wheel, which are easy to miss.

• Like x 1
  8. reheat

reheat Member

Tesla has new trunk weather seal design, it might be better at keeping the water out.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Interesting. Did they add an additional seal?

10. reheat

reheat Member

It felt like one piece so not and additional seal but a redesign of the old seal with better coverage.

• Informative x 2
  11. xilex

xilex Model P3D

Will they replace our old seals? :)

12. Redrick00

Redrick00 Member

The new weatherstripping will keep water out of trunk but not out of bumper cover. Water enters bumper from behind tail lights. This is the same seal installed on my vehicle after I found my old one had a wide gap to bumper.

13. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

The coverage looks way better than mine!

14. Skione65

Skione65 Active Member

@Redrick00,

Is this the same wide gap to bumper in the lower left/right corner of the trunk/seal as in my photos? Have a Ranger coming tomorrow to look at same issue.

Ski 784B310E-EAF6-439B-8F2F-28469A5F320F.jpeg 61E8548E-9502-4D8E-8E5C-D6877F4D42EB.jpeg

15. AlanSubie4Life

How does this new seal keep water out of the trunk? While it is certainly more aesthetically pleasing, it seems like that gap with the old sea just lets additional water (in addition to the water coming behind the lights) behind the bumper cover - the trunk should still be sealed - because isn’t the only opening to it this seal around the trunk lid? (Which either seal works to seal.)

16. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I was assuming that they were saying that the seal was redesigned around the top to prevent water running off the back window to go over the seal and into the trunk. But maybe that was wishful thinking on my part. I would love to see side-by-side pictures of the old and new design.

17. Redrick00

Redrick00 Member

Yes, both weatherstripping designs keep water out of trunk, I’ve never had water in mine. If someone gets water in their trunk it must be because they didn’t close trunk all the way which has happened to me a couple of times. My concern with gap on my old weatherstripping seal was with water entering the bumper. SC told me nothing would be damaged by water going in there but that they would fix the seal for me. After I had the new seal installed is when I noticed water still entering bumper cover from behind tail lights. The tail lights have small sealing gasket on mounting screws but as you can see on attached image, it’s a cheap seal which might eventually let water seep into trunk.
    CEF9F0C3-075F-49B9-84FF-AEA53108332E.jpeg

• Helpful x 1
  18. Redrick00

Redrick00 Member

Yes, I had the same gap on lower left corner. I was told they had to remove bumper and readjust the seal but when I look at the before pictures it looks like it’s a different seal.
    7A670588-899A-413F-8892-FBC5D2D9C0FF.jpeg

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

I have the same gap in the lower left corner. As others have said, it seems to lead into the bumper. Please let us know what the ranger says.

20. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

One is never going to keep water out of the bumper area. The solution is proper drainage.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1