Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frame Impaled by Iron Storm Grate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened while driving across a storm grate, leaving a hotel at less than five mph. You can see from the pics that the grate impaled the frame and shattered the undercarriage. The body shop initially thought there was battery damage, but the Tesla service center said the battery was fine. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with the hotel's insurance company, and the process is very slow. The Tesla-certified body shops are backed up for five months. Once the body shop thought the battery was involved, they stopped the inspection. The undercarriage should be easy to resolve, but I am concerned with the hole in the frame.

Is it ok to continue to drive the car in this state?
What needs to be done to "fix" the hole in the frame?
Is the frame damage going to cause adverse long-term effects
Tesla Impale (1).jpg
Tesla Impale (2).jpg
Tesla Body Shop (2).jpg
Tesla Body Shop (3).jpg
?

Tesla Impale (3).jpg

the hotel's insurance needs to cover a rental car for the duration of the repairs.
the car should not be driven until fully fixed.
demand they rent a Hertz Tesla. Like for like.

If they balk, tell them they can pay for your lawyer as well when you file a lawsuit.

I am not a mechanical expert and if you are not either, I would say get Tesla's advice on the safety of the car. They are best to assess the damage and how it affects the car.

As for the hotel and repair, my only advice is to keep it cool and leave threats involving a lawyer and lawsuits out of it. That's a sure fire way for the hotel to stop talking to you and having all communications now go through their lawyer and legal dept.

Let your insurance and their insurance duke it out (that's why you have insurance right?).

Remember, stuff happens in life - sometimes we just have to laugh it off and deal with it. Be assertive but don't be a jerk (not saying you are or will be) - you will get more out of the situation that way.

That's my fatherly advice for today. (and please remember to take the garbage out later).