Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking sounds on rear suspension when accelerating / decelerating or flexing frame

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and kids noticed the subtle clunking sound when accelerating or flexing the frame during the first month of delivery. On the first inspection by the service crew they claimed they couldn't replicate the noise and suggested the rear passenger door frame welding may be impacted and making that noise. The recommended they would take the Y to a certified body shop and rework the welding as the resolution. I didn't buy that explanation and requested their most senior technician look into this. It was worth the wait as after two weeks in the shop this is what they found:

"Technicians test drove and verified a loud popping noise was present when the chassis was flexed. Technician raised vehicle and, upon inspection, found the right rear shear plate bolts were loose, allowing the plate to pop against the threads. Technician performed thread repair to ensure good torque retention. Technician installed bolts to spec with threadlocker. Technicians test drove vehicle once again, but the noise was still present. Technicians raised vehicle and found the front right rear subframe bushing appeared to be allowing the subframe to contact the body, causing the noise. Technician presented findings to service engineering, who advised replacement of the rear subframe. Once the rear subframe arrived, technicians lowered the rear subframe assembly, exposing the superficial galling present on the chassis subframe mounting points. However, when inspecting the respective mounting points on the rear subframe, no indication of interference, such as witness marks were present. Technicians once again presented findings to service engineering, who suggested the chassis may have had debris present from manufacturing which has since cleared. Technicians were instructed to thoroughly clean the mounting points and reinstall the subframe assembly to test. Technicians reinstalled components and performed a test drive. Noise was no longer present. Technicians reassembled vehicle and performed four wheel alignment."

Long story short, rear sub frame wasn't mounted properly as they suspect debris may have been present at the time of manufacturing.

let me know if you all had similar issues... but just sharing what was done to my Mod Y to resolve the issue.

thanks,
Robert

My MYP is making a loud tick noise coming from rear driver’s side. I wonder if this is it? Noticed it driving with the family in a parking lot windows down radio off. Ticks on acceleration and deceleration.

I'm currently "in service" having the rear subframe on my MS P85 replaced. To the tune of $3.2K. Definitely will be asking how to avoid this in the future. Could this be part of my less than 10K per set of rear tires? Who knows... I don't normally have another mechanic touch my vehicles...

My 2021 MYP has this issue. I hear clicking sound from right rear when I accelerate or break. It’s been in service since 3 days now. I was told that they are replacing subframe and waiting on parts. ETA for repair is 7 days.

We also had a loud click sound on our Model Y when accelerating/deaccelerating and/or turning right/left. Received this new car the end of June ‘22, so it’s under warranty. They are reporting back to me that it needs a subframe replacement at no cost to me. Glad to hear we’re not being charged $3,200.

Reactions: flexnraptor
I am currently having the exact same issue

2022 model y with 14 k no accident
Loud popping noise starts coming on a month ago
First Tesla tech tells me he went and adjust trunk hatch strut wtf

Second stupid tech tells me it’s my rear brake pads that’s clicking and moving wtf

I went test drive with third tech and told him no way it’s that

This thing is causing me grief and anxiety

Second stupid tech tells me it’s my rear brake pads that’s clicking and moving wtf

Can you post a video of the sound to YouTube and link it here so we can listen and see if we can help?

For Can you post a video of the sound to YouTube and link it here so we can listen and see if we can help?

I also had this sound starting around 14k miles on my 2022 Model Y. For everyone still having this issue I wanted to post the diagnosis. My noise is gone after being at service for over 2 weeks! It was extremely frustrating that it took so long for the deTECHtives to come up with a solve but they did and I wanted to share what to do in case anybody else is still dealing with this issue.

Concern: Customer states: Other · Noise & Vibration - Left side clunk/thump happens when I accelerate or decelerate. Sounds like it’s coming from inside or outside the cabin but I’m not entirely sure of it’s location.
Diagnosed and Check Torque on Rear Suspension. Performed Validation Test Drive. Refilled Vacuum Cooling System. Replaced Rear Subframe Assembly.

Correction: General Diagnosis

Correction: Inspected and confirmed caliper bolts were torqued correctly

Correction: Subframe Assembly - Rear (3DU) (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
REAR SUBFRAME ASSEMBLY(1044580- 00-D)

Correction: NVH Adjustment - 0.5 Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive

Correction: Cooling System - Vacuum Refill
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
COOLANT, ETHYLENE 1.00 GLYCOL, 50/50

Attachments

• IMG_5006.jpg
    IMG_5006.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 287
I also had this sound starting around 14k miles on my 2022 Model Y. For everyone still having this issue I wanted to post the diagnosis. My noise is gone after being at service for over 2 weeks! It was extremely frustrating that it took so long for the deTECHtives to come up with a solve but they did and I wanted to share what to do in case anybody else is still dealing with this issue.

Concern: Customer states: Other · Noise & Vibration - Left side clunk/thump happens when I accelerate or decelerate. Sounds like it’s coming from inside or outside the cabin but I’m not entirely sure of it’s location.
Diagnosed and Check Torque on Rear Suspension. Performed Validation Test Drive. Refilled Vacuum Cooling System. Replaced Rear Subframe Assembly.

Correction: General Diagnosis

Correction: Inspected and confirmed caliper bolts were torqued correctly

Correction: Subframe Assembly - Rear (3DU) (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
REAR SUBFRAME ASSEMBLY(1044580- 00-D)

Correction: NVH Adjustment - 0.5 Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive

Correction: Cooling System - Vacuum Refill
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
COOLANT, ETHYLENE 1.00 GLYCOL, 50/50
Hi!

I’m having this issue and the techs at the service center keep sending me home stating that they can’t replicate the issue even though I’ve sent multiple videos of the noise. After reading these forums I think this might be my issue. Would you mind checking my vid out to see if it’s the same?