Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Charging @ Work -vs.- Daily Charging @ Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@yobigd20 Without reading the study, I am skeptical. It is easy to come up with such a small increase in load if you just consider the increase in energy over a 24 hour period, instead of the peak increase in power. If you take the worst case scenario (all cars electric and everyone plugs in between 8 and 9 am at work), then the numbers are quite different. I'm familiar with MISO, so let's take that as an example. (I used Wikipedia numbers unless otherwise stated.)

The states under MISO (excluding Illinois and Manitoba, just to be conservative) have a population of about 37 million. At 0.8 cars per capita, that's 30 million cars. At a low 3.3 kW, that is almost 100 GW of additional load. MISO just released their 2013 summer load forecast - peak load 93.8 GW (Summer Readiness Workshop Presentation.pdf). So we are talking about more than 100% of the summer peak load. Even if we could spread this out over 24 hours at about 13 kWh per car (40 miles) per day, it is still 16.7 GW. Not quite 2%.

@yobigd20 Without reading the study, I am skeptical. It is easy to come up with such a small increase in load if you just consider the increase in energy over a 24 hour period, instead of the peak increase in power.

Oil refineries are the largest consumer of electricity in the state of CA. If everyone switched to EVs, a majority of those refineries could be shut down (still need some for plastics and other refined fuels).

Energy Efficiency Roadmap for Petroleum Refineries in California
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/industry/petroleum_refining/pdfs/refining_roadmap.pdf

Not sure if yobigd20's source took that into consideration, but that would offset some of the increase load from charging.

Totally agree with rolosrevenge here, I would not charge at work, at all. Leave the EVSEs for use by all the other EVs and plug-in EVs to use, you don't need to clog the chargers. Leave them for the person who can't afford an 85KW Model S, they need the charge much worse than you do... :)