Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And to add that... electricity isn't free... don't expect the "free charging" "loop hole" to exist for ever... take it if you can, but don't get upset when it goes away.
And don't get me started on "solar is free". It isn't. There is a capital cost to get going, and most likely an opportunity cost of forgoing the feed in tarrif for the solar that charges your car and not fed back for a credit.
Free charging will remain - think WiFi.

Thanks all.

renting currently while the house is being rebuilt, can’t install a wall charger. and a classic is occupying the garage so tesla has to be out. meanwhile looking at 4 months till house is ready, only then I can have a reliable source.

does it impact the battery, long term, if the car is not fully charged regularly prior to driving?
Ah, I see!
Only you can evaluate how much messing about you'll have to keep the thing charged, especially if you have to go out of your way to get juice. If your mileage isn't normally too high, as we all say you will be fine using the mobile charger - just keep it off the ground with something covering it in case of rain. You may be surprised how little you need to visit another charger!
Just seen you've ordered - welcome!

alyuan, congratulations on your order, I am sure you will love the car

As Chenkers posted earlier you have free 50Kw (About 44Kw peak in reality) DC charging options at the Monash Uni Campus's at Caulfield and Clayton as well as Swinburne Uni, though be aware that Caulfield has paid parking ($4.06 per hour) 24/7 except for public holidays, Clayton is free parking after 4pm weekdays, all weekend and public holidays and Swinburne does not have paid parking at the charger

The Monash uni chargers are managed by Chargefox, and Swinbourne by ChargePoint, and you can see from their apps if they are free before you leave home

For charging at Chargefox managed chargers you need to use their app or RFID card which you can order from them, in regard to ChargePoint chargers you can again start a charging session using their app (It stopped working in August last year, and I noticed it started working again in the last few days), you can also use an Iphone, or NFC (Near-Field Communication) capable android phone, which will act as a virtual RFID card if you have the app installed - ChargePoint no longer supply a RFID card

Thank you.

What are the common charge suppliers (did I term it right?) in Australia? Tesla, Chargefox and Chargepoint?
I believe Chargepoint pulled out of Australia. There are still chargers around but lacking local support.

This thread is a sticky at the top of the Australia page and summarises the main charging networks apart from Tesla (see supercharger sticky thread):
Wiki - Other Fast/Ultra-fast Chargers - Australian index

The main networks locally in Melbourne are Tesla, Chargefox and Evie but there are others opening or expanding.

Reactions: alyuan
Also if you do go down the route of trying to charge at ChargePoint and other free charging stations, make sure you grab a type 1 to type 2 adapter and a Type 2 to Type 2 cable before taking delivery.

I am also based in Melbourne and live in an apartment complex with no access to a charger.

1 month in and I’m loving it. Actually enjoying the experience of charging and working from my car, does this get old?

Also if you do go down the route of trying to charge at ChargePoint and other free charging stations, make sure you grab a type 1 to type 2 adapter and a Type 2 to Type 2 cable before taking delivery.

I am also based in Melbourne and live in an apartment complex with no access to a charger.

1 month in and I’m loving it. Actually enjoying the experience of charging and working from my car, does this get old?
That I cannot use the Tesla supplied cable in public charging stations?

That I cannot use the Tesla supplied cable in public charging stations?
Nope you can't. Most of the BYO cables require either Type 2 or Type 1 connection (into the charger) and Type 2 connection into the Tesla. For some chargers, you would need the Type 1 to Type 2 converter to plug into the Tesla. Honestly I haven't had to use the Type 2 charger or any other charger except the Tesla Supercharger yet (and only used that once).

Nope you can't. Most of the BYO cables require either Type 2 or Type 1 connection (into the charger) and Type 2 connection into the Tesla. For some chargers, you would need the Type 1 to Type 2 converter to plug into the Tesla. Honestly I haven't had to use the Type 2 charger or any other charger except the Tesla Supercharger yet (and only used that once).
Thanks. What will be the mob’s go to brand in Australi?

I would not worry about the Type 1 to type 2 adapter, there is not a great deal of J-1772 (Type 1) in your area, there are a number of Type 2 chargers which are byo type 2 cable at Forest Hill Chase Shopping centre, Burwood Brickworks, and Camberwell Shopping centre (which also has a Tesla destination charger which does not require a cable), so if you visits those regularly a type 2 cable may be useful

Remember that you have 50 Kw (44 Kw peak in practice) dc chargers available at Monash Clayton Campus, and Swinburne Uni, that are much faster than Type 2 (7 Kw), and Tesla destination (11Kw)

Use Plugshare (plugshare .com) to check the available chargers in your area, you can set the filters by plug type in the drop down box on the right hand side of the web page to make it easier to see the plug types you want

Reactions: mike_j
I would not worry about the Type 1 to type 2 adapter, there is not a great deal of J-1772 (Type 1) in your area, there are a number of Type 2 chargers which are byo type 2 cable at Forest Hill Chase Shopping centre, Burwood Brickworks, and Camberwell Shopping centre (which also has a Tesla destination charger which does not require a cable), so if you visits those regularly a type 2 cable may be useful

Remember that you have 50 Kw (44 Kw peak in practice) dc chargers available at Monash Clayton Campus, and Swinburne Uni, that are much faster than Type 2 (7 Kw), and Tesla destination (11Kw)

Use Plugshare (plugshare .com) to check the available chargers in your area, you can set the filters by plug type in the drop down box on the right hand side of the web page to make it easier to see the plug types you want
Thanks Roland. I do visit those areas regularly! will check out plugshare.

Thanks. What will be the mob’s go to brand in Australi?
For a Type 2 cable, the one the Tesla shop sells is a good quality Mennekes brand one. It's back in stock right now if you're quick:

Yes that is a good option, it is longer (7.5m vs 5m), has the button on the plug to open the charge port, and is cheaper than ones of similar spec available at other suppliers

This is another option :- Type2 to Type2 Cable (Mennekes) (Model 3/S/X) - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors , even though it is shorter (5m) does not have the button to open the charge port, which is convenient but not essential, it is considerably cheaper - $100 less, and as it is only rated to 16 amps (11 Kw) which is the maximum the model 3 can charge at it will be a fair bit lighter than the Tesla one

and as it is only rated to 16 amps (11 Kw) which is the maximum the model 3 can charge at it will be a fair bit lighter than the Tesla one
The Model 3 can charge at 32 amps single phase, so those cables will only give you half the charge rate you could otherwise get at a single-phase charger, though they'll do the full rate at a 3 phase one.

The type 2 lead is not required at home, wall chargers usually come with a lead with a type 2 plug to plug into the car which are hard wired to the charger

Of the three leads linked the Tesla is 7.5m long 3 phase 32 amp (22kw - 7.2 kw if single phase type 2 outlet) has button on plug to remote open the charge port - cost $310, the weight is not given probably about 4.5 Kg
The one from EVchargers is 5m long, 3 phase 16 amp (11Kw - 3.6 kw if single phase type 2 outlet ) $230 including shipping of $20 to where you are, weight 2kg
The one from EVSE is 5m long, 3 phase 32 amp (22Kw - 7.2 kw if single phase type 2 outlet) $259, free shipping, weight 3.3 kg

Take your pick

Reactions: alyuan
This is another option :- Type2 to Type2 Cable (Mennekes) (Model 3/S/X) - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors , even though it is shorter (5m) does not have the button to open the charge port
[emphasis mine] ahem, yes it does, it's hidden away in the Charge Port Button pull-down.
1627042618295.png

only for the 11kw version tho' 🤔

the Tesla is 7.5m long 3 phase 32 amp (22kw - 7.2 kw if single phase type 2 outlet) has button on plug to remote open the charge port
[emphasis mine] Look carefully at the pic on the Tesla web-store
1627042879918.png

if there is a button it's really well hidden 🤣
The Model 3 can charge at 32 amps single phase, so those cables will only give you half the charge rate you could otherwise get at a single-phase charger, though they'll do the full rate at a 3 phase one.
I tested a 11kW 3phase Type2 on a single phase Type2 outlet, my Model S reported 20A/20A so a tad more than half. Haven't tested on a Model 3, you might be right at half the charge.
1627043459058.png

As to 22kW vs 11kW cables, Model 3 owners would need to consider the chance of ever finding one (they are not common) and if they did what is the likelihood of ever needing to stop for a charge?

However, for the paranoid amongst us, (me included), the 22kW is the way to go - one cable (albeit heavier) and fits all Type2's, and for $40 extra than the 11kW it is worth the peace of mind.
Link by Roland is where to go (thank you Roland 😎), and don't forget TOCA members discount.
1627043972617.png

Reactions: moa999