Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day.

thinking of diving into electrification. if there is free chargers in Melbourne? I’m rebuilding and does not have access to a home charger.

Al
Download an app called Plugshare which will show local chargers.

In general some slow chargers are free (7-11kW for most cars) that would take 5-7hrs to give you a full charge.
As the number of electric cars grow I expect more of these will revert to paid chargers (at 20-40c/kWh)

On the whole rapid chargers (50-350kW) are paid at 40c-$1/kWh.

The main advantage of electric vehicles, is the majority of people can charge at home on a regular PowerPoint (2kW) or slightly faster (up to 7kW) with upgraded plugs and wiring or wall boxes.

There are plenty of free charging options around Melbourne, even a few 50kW DC chargers. But it depends where you live as to what's convenient for you. Plugshare is the best resource to use and it will generally show you if a charger is free. A lot of shopping centres and numerous other locations have free 11kw chargers which are good for a 10-25%+ charge while shopping. City of Moreland is one of the better localities as they have a number of free DC fast chargers across the municipality. There are also a few other council provided AC or DC chargers in other areas. I'd say around 80% of my current charging is free so its certainly possible to get by without a home charger.

Thanks.

new to the game. I travel 100kms each day and will need a reliable charge point. Ideally I can leave the car for <3 hours for a full charge, 50kW is appealing.

Home is in Burwood, I’m aware Brickworks has some chargers, just can’t get my head around the calculations between the kW and time to full charge yet. Tesla will stay outside my garage and common sense is telling me I cannot leave the extension cord in case of bad weather.

Or buy a petrol car and look around for free petrol
Not getting the purpose of this reply...
I've bought used MX2017 with free supercharger for life 2 years ago... for 2 years I've paid about $10 on ChargeFox and I don't have a charging point at home since I live in the apartment block and it's impossible so far to install a destination charger there.
So, I suggested to check models with free supercharger on Carsales...

Thanks.

new to the game. I travel 100kms each day and will need a reliable charge point. Ideally I can leave the car for <3 hours for a full charge, 50kW is appealing.

Home is in Burwood, I’m aware Brickworks has some chargers, just can’t get my head around the calculations between the kW and time to full charge yet. Tesla will stay outside my garage and common sense is telling me I cannot leave the extension cord in case of bad weather.
Brickworks would be 11kW chargers. Your nearest 50kW free charging would be either Monash Uni campuses or Swinburne Campus. Although you do have to pay for parking during hours at Monash. There are a few others in the area and also paid charging at Tesla Superchargers, Evie or Chargefox.

With an SR+ and roughly 50kW battery capacity it will take over an hour to fully charge at 50kW and 4-5 hours at 11kW, although you would rarely charge from anywhere near empty. 100km/day at say 160Wh/km will be 16kW consumed, so about 20 mins charging at a 50kW and 1.5hrs at 11kW.

However I don't see any issue running an extension cord to the car from the garage. Just get an extra heavy duty extension cord and waterproof cover for the connection. Plenty of people manage charging like this with the mobile charger and a few hours overnight would be enough to get you charged.

Not getting the purpose of this reply...
I've bought used MX2017 with free supercharger for life 2 years ago... for 2 years I've paid about $10 on ChargeFox and I don't have a charging point at home since I live in the apartment block and it's impossible so far to install a destination charger there.
So, I suggested to check models with free supercharger on Carsales...
The point was there is no car on the market until tesla came along with free ‘fuel’. Kwh are the new fuel. Yes my S also has free supercharger use for life, but I’d still have purchase it if it meant buying the kwh fuel.

Reactions: Wol747
The point was there is no car on the market until tesla came along with free ‘fuel’. Kwh are the new fuel. Yes my S also has free supercharger use for life, but I’d still have purchase it if it meant buying the kwh fuel.

And to add that... electricity isn't free... don't expect the "free charging" "loop hole" to exist for ever... take it if you can, but don't get upset when it goes away.
And don't get me started on "solar is free". It isn't. There is a capital cost to get going, and most likely an opportunity cost of forgoing the feed in tarrif for the solar that charges your car and not fed back for a credit.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
And to add that... electricity isn't free... don't expect the "free charging" "loop hole" to exist for ever... take it if you can, but don't get upset when it goes away.
And don't get me started on "solar is free". It isn't. There is a capital cost to get going, and most likely an opportunity cost of forgoing the feed in tarrif for the solar that charges your car and not fed back for a credit.
The capital cost is paid back generally with 2 years of power bill savings. This is also around the same time that the energy to make the panels is saved. The cost to charge an EV from solar after that is the loss of the ever shrinking almost nothing feed in tarrif, which in my case is now 6.5 cents per kwh, or $4.80 for an empty to full situation.
I’m expecting the FIT will keep falling in SA, making motoring effectively cheaper….plus tax

>>thinking of diving into electrification. if there is free chargers in Melbourne? I’m rebuilding and does not have access to a home charger.<<

While you are thinking you could be doing <g>.

Seriously though, you wonder about using an extension to charge outside the garage, so do you have a problem getting a wall charger fitted? Preferably of course IN the garage, but many have them attached to an outside wall - they are rated exterior.
100Km per day is no problem - remember you are never charging up from zero (unless you are braver than I) - and even partial charges with a mobile connector would allow you to go several days without the need to charge elsewhere.
Get an EV - it's liberating!

Reactions: Big Earl
Thanks all.

renting currently while the house is being rebuilt, can’t install a wall charger. and a classic is occupying the garage so tesla has to be out. meanwhile looking at 4 months till house is ready, only then I can have a reliable source.

does it impact the battery, long term, if the car is not fully charged regularly prior to driving?

Thanks all.

renting currently while the house is being rebuilt, can’t install a wall charger. and a classic is occupying the garage so tesla has to be out. meanwhile looking at 4 months till house is ready, only then I can have a reliable source.

does it impact the battery, long term, if the car is not fully charged regularly prior to driving?
What impacts your battery is if you DO fully charge before driving. You should only go to 100% if you absolutely have to. Try to keep between 50-90%, but going lower than 50% is no problem. There is no need to charge daily unless you need the range the next day. Hence you may get away with a cord on a saturday to your driveway if your weekly drive is less than the cars range

Thanks all.

No the car actually prefers to be around 50%.
If I were you I’d use an extension cord at home and just plug in whenever your at home. So much more convenient and would only cost you maybe $10/week.

thanks.

making a deposit these days, looking forward to join you guys for a coffee meetup.

If it is appropriate to ask here.. do I get free supercharger kW credits per year? Or where can I ask for a referral?
Hi @alyuan
The rules of this forum do not allow members to share their Tesla referral codes broadly on the forum.
If you feel that any member has helped you in particular click on their name and in the pop up box click start a conversation. If you ask them directly it’s fine for them or your local Moderator :rolleyes: to share their referral code privately through a direct conversation.

The UMC (Universal Mobile Charger) supplied with a Tesla is 6.2 meters from the 3 pin plug to the end of the Type 2 plug which plugs into the charge port on the car, so if you can back the Tesla up to the garage with the charge port (side of the passengers tail light) within 5.5 meters or so of a power point in your garage you won't even need an extension lead