Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free EV Charger from GMP Vermont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can only think that they are concerned that people with a Powerwall on TOU will try to play the buy low/sell high electricity arbitrage game. Someone needs to explain to them that end users don't have explicit charge/discharge control of the Powerwall (you can't force a "dump the entire battery now at peak pricing").

This morning Tesla/SolarCity vans pulled up in my driveway unannounced to install 2 powerwalls under a special GMP program that would cost me $30 a month for 10 years while allowing GMP to draw from the powerwalls to help stabilize their grid during peak power demands. I was supposed to get back up power out of deal.

Butttt, it does turn out in order for me to participate in the program I would have to change from TOU rate to a flat rate. Given how much I drive my MX, I estimate that would cost me up to an additional $70/month making for a total cost of $100/month for 10 years to get the powerwalls. That's $12,000! for two powerwalls I do not own or get to fully control. How much does it cost to buy them outright now?

I had to sendt the trucks away with no install after waiting years :(. I talked to someone at GMP and there is no wiggle room on this until they start the next program. Oh well ... Hopefully they will sort this out in the next round and I will get my powerwalls in the next decade.

New MX owner here. I had someone out from SunCommon last week to provide a quote on installing solar at our place in Cornwall. He is coming back on Friday with quotes for powerwalls as well. His off the cuff math last week indicated that Powerwalls would cost approximately $6,300 installed each. We would need to have between 6 and 8 installed given the size of the house and our use of heat pumps to heat and cool the house. If the math works and I get backup power so that I don’t have to install back up generators then I’m all in.

Hopefully I’ll coming away from this next discussion with a full understanding of the various options and pricing information.

Reactions: iCharge
New MX owner here. I had someone out from SunCommon last week to provide a quote on installing solar at our place in Cornwall. He is coming back on Friday with quotes for powerwalls as well. His off the cuff math last week indicated that Powerwalls would cost approximately $6,300 installed each. We would need to have between 6 and 8 installed given the size of the house and our use of heat pumps to heat and cool the house. If the math works and I get backup power so that I don’t have to install back up generators then I’m all in.

Hopefully I’ll coming away from this next discussion with a full understanding of the various options and pricing information.
that's awesome ! Suncommon is a good company. Keep us posted on how it goes :)

Here is the program they were running, but the 2000 powerwalls they did for the pilot are all spoken for:
How does the GMP and Tesla Powerwall program work? - Green Mountain Power
As I figured out the hard way, you're better off just doing the TOU rate with gmp for charging your MX and buying or not buying the powerwalls outside the program depending if you think it is worth it. That is so many powerwalls it sounds like you will not need GMP anyway. Are you offgrid?