Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Super Charging for Model 3 customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, many of us who have ordered Model 3 with its premium package included (by default) should be treated like the Model S and X customers, I feel. They should be provided free access to Super Charging in its facilities - a small token of appreciation for buying Model 3 with all its premium package options

how do we make this happen, if you agree with this?

Funny this is brought up...I drove from the east bay to Folsom today. Tried to charge at the Roseville Galleria on two separate occasions during the day and all stalls were occupied and the lines were long waiting for open spots. Then, on my way home with 49 miles of charge left, I pulled in to the Vacaville supercharger and it too was full with a line, but I was lucky enough that the line moved fairly promptly and I was able to charge.

Unless Musk is going to build a heck of a lot more superchargers, soon, there's no way the system can handle what it has, let alone the added pressure of Model 3 owners with a free pass.

A Model 3 with premium package is still nowhere near the money they get for an S or an X. The pricing we've got now is based on the assumption that Model 3 owners aren't getting free use of the Supercharger system. If there was "free" Supercharging then the car would cost more, because nothing is actually free.

Personally, I'm fine paying a few bucks when I want to go on a road trip. It's still way less than I would pay for gas and it'll be a fraction of my total miles.

So, many of us who have ordered Model 3 with its premium package included (by default) should be treated like the Model S and X customers, I feel. They should be provided free access to Super Charging in its facilities - a small token of appreciation for buying Model 3 with all its premium package options

You are welcome to your feelings, but not to free supercharging. The token of appreciation you get is getting your car months ahead of everyone who has chosen to wait for other options.

If you want to be treated like the model S and X customers, pay $2000 extra for "free" supecharging, because that's what's baked into their cost to cover it.

You are confused. Nobody has free supercharging. You either have prepaid or pay as you go supercharging. You could ask Tesla if they would let you pay $2500 or so for lifetime supercharging, but I doubt they would do it. Nothing is free.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I had a Nissan Leaf, and they provided free charging for 2 years. ... that is what I meant ..
For those curious, vadhris is referring to:
Nissan launches "No Charge to Charge" program; plans hundreds more U.S. EV quick chargers for LEAF drivers
Nissan No Charge to Charge | EVgo
EZ-Charge: frequently asked questions

As a driver of a formerly leased '13 Leaf and now a used '13 Leaf, I was never eligible for that. It program didn't exist when I leased from 1st Leaf. The used Leaf I drive now is about a month older than my former leased car, so it's also ineligible.

Just my $0.02.

Why would anyone who has the ability to charge at home overnight even think that "FREE" Supercharging is free. Think about your time, both driving there and back, plus your time waiting for the charge. Why would anyone waste 1 to 2 hours to get free electricity that would only cost $3.00 at home?

I came to this realization one day at the Nissan Dealer "FREE" DCFC (L-3) that I would sometime use on a Sunday afternoon when I would drop my wife off at a grocery store a block from the dealer, then drive down, wait for my turn, then plug into the fast charger. When finished I would drive back, go into the store and find my wife, pay for our goods, then go home. Mind you that this store was 15 miles from home. Another one, just as good was less than 1/2 mile from home.

One day as I was waiting my turn to plug in I realized that I was only getting about $1 of electricity, $2 if I arrived at a lower charge level, and thought to myself, "What am I doing???" All this to save only $1 or $2. I never did this again, and probably good that I did not because a couple of months later that Fast Charging station was turned over to EVGo as a paid charging station.

The point with charging using the Tesla Supercharger is that you would only use it while on a trip away from your local area and the Supercharger was the fastest and easiest way to charge. If you think you will be on these trips for say 10,000 miles per year, that is only about $300 to $400 of cost you will pay each year to Tesla, depending on how efficiently you drive.

That means you will pay the same as S and X owners in about 6 to 8 years! Model 3 owners, consider yourself lucky to pay as you go instead of prepay.

Kinda makes me think of why did I prepay for FSD in advance to save $1000 over paying when it is ready. The question at hand is "Will I still have this Model S when it IS finally released?" Our Nissan Leaf, which we thought we would have forever, was totaled by insurance company when we were rear-ended at 3.5 years and 50,000 miles. The good news there is that I was planning to get a new set of tires the next week, so saved almost $1,000 there. jmho

You are confused. Nobody has free supercharging. You either have prepaid or pay as you go supercharging. You could ask Tesla if they would let you pay $2500 or so for lifetime supercharging, but I doubt they would do it. Nothing is free.

My $0.02: $2,500 for lifetime supercharging is kinda insane. It cost me exactly $9.90 to drive from Alpharetta, GA to the Atlanta airport and then to New Orleans, LA. That's leaving the house with a full charge, and then brief stops to super charge in Greenville, AL and Mobile, AL.

It just doesn't seem worth it to pay $2,500 for lifetime super charging unless you're driving a huge amount of miles every day.

Reactions: suwaneedad
My $0.02: $2,500 for lifetime supercharging is kinda insane. It cost me exactly $9.90 to drive from Alpharetta, GA to the Atlanta airport and then to New Orleans, LA. That's leaving the house with a full charge, and then brief stops to super charge in Greenville, AL and Mobile, AL.

It just doesn't seem worth it to pay $2,500 for lifetime super charging unless you're driving a huge amount of miles every day.
Right. It makes little economic sense. But there remain several types of people who might prefer to pay up front: 1) people for whom somebody else is paying (a business or parent is buying the car); 2) people like me for whom the psychological advantage of everyday free is worth something more than the money involved; 3) people who can't do math; 4) people who are giving the car as a gift; 5) people who don't care about the money; 6) people who buy every option offered because that's how they do things.

But I don't think Tesla will keep offering free supercharging so long as they need there to be a disincentive to using the superchargers. If it gets to the point where they are no longer crowded then free supercharging will be another sales lever Tesla will use.

To me supercharging should be at a slight premium over what you pay per kWh at home. You don't want to encourage people that happen to live near a SC to charge there instead of at home just to save a few cents. And you want Tesla to make a little money off of it to encourage them to put in more charging locations. They should be for road trips only. The exception is in urban areas where many apartment dwellers need to use public charging, but it shouldn't be under the cost of the electricity.

I came to this realization one day at the Nissan Dealer "FREE" DCFC (L-3) that I would sometime use on a Sunday afternoon when I would drop my wife off at a grocery store a block from the dealer, then drive down, wait for my turn, then plug into the fast charger. When finished I would drive back, go into the store and find my wife, pay for our goods, then go home. Mind you that this store was 15 miles from home. Another one, just as good was less than 1/2 mile from home.
On the other hand, it gave you an excuse to drive some more. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Graffi
No. Free isn't working, sadly.
It's just easier to leave entitlement to S and X owners.

Hmmmm. Entitled?? I was told that supercharging, which I use maybe twice a year, was included in the price of the car. I feel that supercharging should not be free to all because of the massive abuse by owners who live fairly close and think "free" means them, all the time, even to blocking long distance travelers. I would be happy to hear that Tesla disallows free charging to any car that "lives" within a radius of, say, 30 miles, and this would include those poor apartment dwellers that can't have a plug installed. My garage charging is not, was not free.