Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Super Charging for Model 3 customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmm. Entitled?? I was told that supercharging, which I use maybe twice a year, was included in the price of the car. I feel that supercharging should not be free to all because of the massive abuse by owners who live fairly close and think "free" means them, all the time, even to blocking long distance travelers. I would be happy to hear that Tesla disallows free charging to any car that "lives" within a radius of, say, 30 miles, and this would include those poor apartment dwellers that can't have a plug installed. My garage charging is not, was not free.

I like roblabs idea to prevent local supercharging.
The supercharger network should be for long distance travel not local travel!

And here we have a Darwin Award-winning collective load of crap about six different ways.

Not only has Tesla embraced the non-garaged for at least 4 years now by offering carte blanche at SCs for such owners unless and until they can facilitate charging at home or at the office, but then Tesla doubled down with urban supercharger locations in large measure due to the non-garaged in those very areas.

Yet still, these kind of posts pop up every once in awhile from the "somebody must be getting away with something" crowd. It's just offensive.

Never mind that it is generally impossible to discern a non-garaged "local" from a garaged "local" when they use an SC. Are there glaring exceptions once in awhile at the all of 3% of SCs that can even remotely be considered busy? Sure. As with most exceptions, those are clearly not the rule.

Non-garaged locals have been and will continue to charge at SCs. Get over it. They won't be geo-fenced despite the wrong-headed views of a few. Now, if you want to have a go at garaged locals, then have at it. However, and again, we're talking about at best 3% of the network here, you'll quickly end up with a patchwork there as well. Don't forget to persecute livery while you're at it, even though Tesla has a policy for these folks as well going forward. Oh, and ICEing by our own - being probably the NUMBER ONE cause of SC congestion - for which Tesla now also has the idle fee policy - which I'd like to see graduated to $1/min after 60 min lifetime and $5/min after 180 min lifetime per vehicle.

It would be nice if those who don't use SCs but once or twice a year if ever would kindly recognize that a) those of us who use them on a weekly basis in the most densely-populated areas of the country have a far clearer view of who's using what and b) Tesla is well aware of who's using what and where. The non-garaged will continue to be welcome, locals will continue to be persecuted even those it's impossible to tell the difference between non-garaged and garaged by looking at them, and Tesla will continue to manage demand in an effective manner *for the most part*. They've dropped the ball in the OC in the past and in San Diego presently, but in time, all should be well.

If you really want to see the wheels fall off the cart, cast the hairy eyeball of persecution not at "locals", but at the worrisome trend continent-wide - that being the relative health of pedestals and sites year over year. There is no faster way to turn a 12-stall site into a 4-stall site than to have 4 non-functional pedestals on top of the aforementioned ICEing by our own.

Clearly, with a little thought, it will become quite evident that persecuting the mythical freeloading local is just shooting badly in the wrong direction.

All of the above having been said, here's a solution for the OP that the "burn them all" contingent will also be powerless to affect. Just buy a CPO AP1 Model S. Great cars coming off 3-year lease now with lower mileage, ESA to 100,000 miles or close to it, and supercharging is included. Plus these cars can be had for $45K give or take based upon options and mileage. Yes - for LESS than a Model 3.

Lastly, please recall the words of Dr. Straubel from a few years back - he said that included supercharging would be fine up to a point. And, in round numbers, that point would arrive in about 2020 with 1M vehicles. Give or take a year, I'd say he pretty much nailed it. As with any finite resource, nothing is forever.

i dislike penny pinching rich guys, at the expense of others.

Given that in my workplace EV chargers have now become a resource of too many EVs chasing limited plugs, I have been lobbying at my workplace that Teslas should plug in only in the rare occasion they have low range that they can't reach their destination after work, and leave the chargers to range handicapped vehicles. I have received a lot of support from non-Tesla owners. There is no Bolt here.

Tesla owners are hemming and hawing , ''but but but, we have a right to siphon off free electricity too and save a few pennies" but the tide is slowly building.

Every plug can be rotated between two or more Leafs, Volts or I3s or any hybrids. So a plug can service two or more owners in a typical workday. On the other hand, a Tesla just sits there sucking free electricity the whole day. Because the owners don't charge at home to suck up free electricity at office.

Given that in my workplace EV chargers have now become a resource of too many EVs chasing limited plugs, I have been lobbying at my workplace that Teslas should plug in only in the rare occasion they have low range that they can't reach their destination after work, and leave the chargers to range handicapped vehicles. I have received a lot of support from non-Tesla owners. There is no Bolt here.

Tesla owners are hemming and hawing , ''but but but, we have a right to siphon off free electricity too and save a few pennies" but the tide is slowly building.

Every plug can be rotated between two or more Leafs, Volts or I3s or any hybrids. So a plug can service two or more owners in a typical workday. On the other hand, a Tesla just sits there sucking free electricity the whole day. Because the owners don't charge at home to suck up free electricity at office.
This is being discussed in other threads. Other than a few vocal Leaf owners, most agree that just because someone bought a crappy EV doesn’t mean they should get priority for a J1772. And Volts and other hybrids can get home on gas.

just because someone bought a crappy EV doesn’t mean they should get priority for a J1772
Just because a Tesla owner has a lot of disposable income but is a cheap skate and does not want to charge at home, they don't get to lock up chargers the whole day, at others expense.

I betcha the moment they charge ONE PENNY more than their home rates, all Tesla owners will stop plugging at workplace. ONE PENNY will do the trick.

I like roblabs idea to prevent local supercharging.
The supercharger network should be for long distance travel not local travel!

This may sound good in theory but there are many times, here in Texas, that I've charged to 100% at home, made a long journey and barely made it back to the Supercharger that was 15 miles from my home. There are plenty of valid reasons that one might need to charge at a supercharger near their home.

I'm afraid the problem is too complex for blanket solutions like "no supercharging within x miles of your home" or such. The solution is for people to be considerate and think of others and not take advantage of a good thing. This sort of thinking, however, is beyond the reach of too much of humanity, so the problem remains.

Bought a crappy EV? I'm sorry, but up to last year, if someone wanted to make the commitment of driving EV, their only choices were buying a $75k+ Tesla or a limited range EV. Not everyone can afford $75k for a car.

I have been asking our landlords in buildings we lease to install Level 2 charging stations but not provide them for free (but just pass through their cost). By doing so, people with their "crappy" EVs can charge up if they need extra range but it keeps people from just using the charging stations to save a few pennies.

Just because a Tesla owner has a lot of disposable income but is a cheap skate and does not want to charge at home, they don't get to lock up chargers the whole day, at others expense.

I betcha the moment they charge ONE PENNY more than their home rates, all Tesla owners will stop plugging at workplace. ONE PENNY will do the trick.
You sound angry about this. Do you drive one of those short range EVs that I disparaged? Remember workplace charging is a good solution for those who live in apartments or condos and can’t charge at home. Plugging in for an 8 hour workday would be similar to plugging in at home overnight.

Perhaps the answer is for your employer to install more charging stations to meet the demand. Tesla will offer this for free for companies with more than 50 employees:
Tesla launches a new ‘Workplace Charging’ program to supply free charging stations to businesses

Reactions: Amit519

A better solution would be to impose time limits on everyone. Maybe 2 hours max, maybe 4 hours max depending on how much congestion your chargers have. Otherwise, how to enforce "need"? A Leaf driver who lives 5 miles away is "hogging" the chargers just as much as the Tesla driver who lives 40 miles away. Do you even let Volts use the chargers at all with a system like that (since they obviously never "need" the charger)?

Remember workplace charging is a good solution for those who live in apartments or condos and can’t charge at home

Believe me, over here, all of the Tesla owners have three car garages. Even if they can't charge at home, there is no reason it should be free. The fact that there is a charger available is the perk. This will weed out free loaders who can charge at home. Think of this as day-care centers or cafeteria at work facility. They are never free.

Tesla will offer this for free for companies with more than 50 employees:
There is only so much spaces that can be reserved for LEVs and EVs, before the ICE men are going to get upset and come with their pick axes.

My point is: FREE charging does NOT work. It creates problems. Because humans are selfish and cheap.

Last edited:
So why can't we have paid local super charging? It prevents free loaders, but it also helps situations like these.

Personally, I would be fine with that. But, there are people out there with no home charging, no reasonable way to install home charging, and more importantly, who were told that this wasn't a problem when they bought their car and disclosed that local Superchargers were going to be their primary charging solution. They probably won't want to pay for local charging. And how to differentiate between those people and those for whom local Supercharging isn't really necessary, they're just taking something for free and inconveniencing others?

I agree Suc should not be free. Let's turn this on its head. What if Tesla offered "entitled" MS and MX owners some cash to change to a pay by use Suc program. I'd do it, I seldom use Superchargers, and it might be benefitial to Tesla since it's cheaper to pay folks than build more Suc. I'd tale 1k in a heartbeat. I'll never use that much Suc credit.

But, there are people out there with no home charging

Let them provide proof that their primary residence where the car is registered is an apartment. If it is a condo with a garage, let them provide proof that their association will not allow charger installation. Those are fairly easy to provide documentation.

If your Tesla is registered in a single family home then, you are out of luck. If you still don't have the ability to charge, then provide proof. Until then no free local charging for you. The county and real-estate records show if you have a garage or not.

An ever better solution is to not make it free. Put a nominal charge, free loaders will whither away and the resource will be used on a need basis. Win win for everyone.

True. I detest free public chargers. They turn people into animals. I have been unplugged literally just after I walked away from my car before at one in a popular mall. Note that said mall was a good 70 miles from my house one way, so it's not like I was "just" convenience charging. Looked at plugshare and all the comments were about people getting unplugged. Only cars with lockable connectors escaped.

I actually love the very overpriced EVGo and Blink units around town. They are always available because no really wants to pay .40/kWh unless they HAVE to.

Does anyone here lock the connectors? I am assuming the adapter stays locked to the car but someone can disconnect the J1772.

I've seen the $60 charging lock on Evannex as well as $2 padlocks. Do both these work? Do people use them?

A better solution would be to impose time limits on everyone. Maybe 2 hours max, maybe 4 hours max depending on how much congestion your chargers have. Otherwise, how to enforce "need"? A Leaf driver who lives 5 miles away is "hogging" the chargers just as much as the Tesla driver who lives 40 miles away. Do you even let Volts use the chargers at all with a system like that (since they obviously never "need" the charger)?

Which is exactly what my employer does - informal 3 hour time limit, which allows up to three cars to charge per stall if all charge to the limit. But there also needs to be a sense of community, so all EV and PHEV owners are also on an internal e-mail alias to foster cooperation, encourage community behavior, notify of open/vacating stalls, and occasionally shame the bad apples.

Both the company and the municipality incentivize EV/PHEV, carpooling, and mass transit. For EV/PHEV, free charging is one perk, but EV/PHEV "clean energy vehicle" parking closer to the entrance doors is another (that also facilitates swapping vehicles in the charging stalls) - far more EV owners can actually benefit from that since there are 8 times the stalls for that.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt