Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharge after service appointment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something odd happened to me a couple of days ago when I took my car to supercharge after a service visit. I decided to take my car to charge up at a nearby supercharger after my service appointment. This was inside a paid parking structure. I remember seeing the rates for charging at 24 cents per KWH. I charged up to 80%, paid my parking ticket and left the parking structure. When I got home, I checked the Tesla app to remind myself how much that supercharge session cost and it did not show up. I thought that maybe it just took some time. However, I checked the next day and it was the same. I also did not see a charge on the credit card stored in my wallet. Oddly enough, the charge stat menu in the app also didn't see the charge.

My question is, how did I somehow get free supercharging after my visit? I have not tried to supercharge since that time yet. Does it have anything to do with the service visit prior. I remembered seeing that the service appointment continued to show in the Tesla app after my visit which could indicate that they didn't close out the visit/service. Any ideas?

Something odd happened to me a couple of days ago when I took my car to supercharge after a service visit. I decided to take my car to charge up at a nearby supercharger after my service appointment. This was inside a paid parking structure. I remember seeing the rates for charging at 24 cents per KWH. I charged up to 80%, paid my parking ticket and left the parking structure. When I got home, I checked the Tesla app to remind myself how much that supercharge session cost and it did not show up. I thought that maybe it just took some time. However, I checked the next day and it was the same. I also did not see a charge on the credit card stored in my wallet. Oddly enough, the charge stat menu in the app also didn't see the charge.

My question is, how did I somehow get free supercharging after my visit? I have not tried to supercharge since that time yet. Does it have anything to do with the service visit prior. I remembered seeing that the service appointment continued to show in the Tesla app after my visit which could indicate that they didn't close out the visit/service. Any ideas?
Maybe supercharging during at a service center during an appointment is a courtesy and the system deals with that by not charging you to do so within a certain timeframe of the appointment?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
That makes sense, I have gotten free supercharging during several service appts. I used to be a total ass and pulled in on fumes so they spent a lot on filling my car. It was cool that they had superchargers that were not like the public ones, just a box on the floor with cables for charging.

I find it odd that the charging session didn't show up at all. I would think that a complimentary charge would show up with a price of $0.00. It's really odd that it doesn't show as a charging session in the app.

I had a similar (?) experience after buying my car early this month. I stopped back at the store to pick up a 14-50 adapter, charged it (supposedly) to the card on my profile and then stopped for my first SC visit on the way home. Later I hear that the card didn't work for the adapter so they charged it manually. I found my address missing in my profile so added it, now thinking all was OK. A week later I SCed again (in another state) and the session completed but then I got a message on screen saying SCing was disabled due to there being no valid payment method! The card in my profile loooked correct but I deleted it, added it again, tried SCing again and all was well. Strange thing is that the first SC session never showed a $ amount on screen. So:
  • Was my first session complementary? (I haven't reviewed the credit charges yet.)
  • Are we allowed one or two SC sessions with a dead card before being locked out? (This allowance could be a life saver if your card gets disabled due to fraud.)

Seems to be a common occurrence,
I recently took my model 3 to service centre and after the appointment they plugged my vehicle into charging station (non supercharger) and the charge was free.
On my second follow up appointment as parts were unavailable) I arrived for my appointment 30 minutes early and plugged into supercharger, whilst charging service mode popped up on the screen and I wasn’t charged for the supercharging session.