Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging Miles suddenly have an expiration date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
R

raygduncan

I received 5000 free supercharging miles about a year ago based on my referral code.
These originally had no expiration date, but recently I noticed that an expiration date has appeared and it's soon!
Due to the shelter-in-place orders have hardly been doing any driving for the last several months, so a bunch of these free miles are going to get wasted. Seems very unfair of Tesla to impose an expiration date after the fact with no warning.
Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 12.30.33.png.jpg

The terms and conditions of the referral program have always stated they have an expiration date. Only recently, however, they enabled display of that date in the app... But they've always been due to expire.

That said, we've all already received a 1-month extension due to Covid - will they further extend? Who knows ...

I received 5000 free supercharging miles about a year ago based on my referral code.
These originally had no expiration date, but recently I noticed that an expiration date has appeared and it's soon!
Due to the shelter-in-place orders have hardly been doing any driving for the last several months, so a bunch of these free miles are going to get wasted. Seems very unfair of Tesla to impose an expiration date after the fact with no warning.View attachment 550859

Well......it looks like you’ve got ALOT of driving to do in 18 days! Better get started.

Ski

I bought my car in late December ‘19. Immediately after order (but before delivery), I realized I forgot to use a friend’s referral link. I called Tesla and they said they added it to my account. Months went by, and I never got the referral miles. So I called Tesla back and they said “no way to add after the fact, regardless of what you were told last time”. I was bummed, but oh well life goes on.

I happened to check my Loot Box the other day, and somehow now I have 1,000 SC miles added, with an expiration of May 6, 2021. So now the referral miles are good for a full year?

SEP19 delivery and I remember they gave us the complimentary 2-yr SC. But I also had SC miles on my account. I too received notification that my SC miles were to expire... I hope they still honor the 2yr SC incentive. Unfortunately, no paper trail.

Due to the shelter-in-place orders have hardly been doing any driving for the last several months, so a bunch of these free miles are going to get wasted. Seems very unfair of Tesla to impose an expiration date after the fact with no warning.View attachment 550859
I lost over 5,000 referral miles and I was never told that they would expire. As you said I haven’t been driving first due to my mastectomy late last year and then reconstruction early this year and then covid restrictions. I think this is sad, they shouldn’t expire. It doesn’t cost anything more to them for them not to expire. Just more to us. I am very disappointed and sad :(

No way to treat early adopters and your best supporters.
I still can't believe my 5000 supercharger miles expired on 6/30/2020 during a pandemic when I thought they never expired.
Tesla can do crap things from time to time.
This is crap, it's not material, it's the principle.

I even reached out to Tesla to let them know how I feel, they came back with a STRONG NO, sorry miles will expire.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
we all knew they would expire because we read the accompanying literature...

During a pandemic? And many people have been told by Tesla staff that their free miles wouldn't expire. That's what I was told, never saw any fine print until they added an expiration date in the app.

This isn't material to Tesla or customers. It's just no way to treat your very best supporters!!

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
As another (new?) data point, I originally got 1000 referral miles a few months ago, with an expiration date of May 2021 (one year).

Today, I had a referral pick up her car, so my new total now shows expiration of 11/6/2021. Pretty good, right? Seems like they rolled my original balance into the new expiration date, which is inexplicably 16 months from now.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I had a referral in the first half of March, but my 1000 miles expired on June 30, a bit less than 4 months later. And they really did expire - I was charged for supercharging sessions in July. To be fair, the free miles I already had from when I bought my car last June expired at the same time, just over a year later. My referral got their miles with an expiration in October, 7 months later.