Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging transfer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, new here. I feel really dumb asking, i’ve searched but nothing really explains. I recently purchased a 2013 Model S and i was told it had “free supercharging for life”, but i’ve looked at the code and it says SC04, pay-per charge. Was I let down with this one? Or is there a way to change that? Thank you in advance!

There is (was recently) a Tesla offer to transfer the free supercharging for life to a new Tesla for the time you own the new one (non-transferable) if you buy one before the offer expiration date. I don't think there is any way to determine if this was done to a car prior to purchase. Sometimes Tesla is slow to remove the SCO1 code until after you purchase the car. Only way I can think of is to have the original owner guarantee this is transferable, or refund X dollars if it is not eligible.

Upvote 0
There is (was recently) a Tesla offer to transfer the free supercharging for life to a new Tesla for the time you own the new one (non-transferable) if you buy one before the offer expiration date. I don't think there is any way to determine if this was done to a car prior to purchase. Sometimes Tesla is slow to remove the SCO1 code until after you purchase the car. Only way I can think of is to have the original owner guarantee this is transferable, or refund X dollars if it is not eligible.
I used the offer last year to transfer from my 2016 to my new 2023 MS LR. My experience is that the free supercharging transfer happened almost immediately. I live about 1 hour drive from service center where I picked up my car and by the time I got back home the transfer was complete.

I agree sometimes in other cases the removal could take some time, but the transfer option with purchase of a new car was triggered as soon as I completed delivery.

Also, if the car had been through Tesla's hands at some time earlier in it's life, it could have had the SC01 removed, resold by Tesla to a second owner maybe with an SC05 free for the life of that owner as a promotion that was run from time to time. That could be another scenario where a 2013 might have been downgraded from SC01 to SC05, with the SC05 then being removed when sold to current owner.

Whatever the scenario is, if it really is showing now with SC04, afraid that OP was led astray and they are out of luck.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
Bummer but don’t let it get you down if indeed it is gone. I’ve spent a total of $400 this year on charging, with about half of that at superchargers, the rest at home. It’s good to have it but it won’t be too bad if you have to pay for SC charges.
The value of FUSC is highly dependent on the individual use case. Some folks maybe only use a superchargers a couple times a year while others do significantly more cross-country driving and have a much greater economic benefit from FUSC.

In my own case, just over 80% of my total 10,000 miles traveled has been fueled by supercharging for my 6-month old 2023 MS LR show. So in your case it's maybe only worth about $200 a year, for me it's been worth about $800 in my first 6 months.

I will say keeping FUSC was not a sufficient financial justification for me to buy my new MS and sell my 2016 MS90D. I agree that decision was more an emotional decision heavily based upon other factors. But ability to transfer FUSC was financially significant in my case and I understand why it might be important to @PnwFerrynerd or others.

Upvote 0