Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Friend hates autopilot / makes us lazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend hates automation and he thinks Tesla autopilot is a bad thing. Says it makes us lazy and become worse drivers because we are now relying on automation and can't fend for ourselves. He also hates auto correct and he thinks any type of automation means humans using their brains less and being dependent on it. I like autopilot and it helps a lot for long drives on freeway. And it's one of the reasons I don't mind driving far now because autopilot can help conserve my energy.

He compared the scene in Wall-E where the fat guy falls out of his automated chair and he couldn't get back in. Not because he was fat, but mainly because he was dependent on all those robots / automation around him.
I presume your friend takes the lazy and easy way out and uses Google rather than using old fashioned tools like encyclopedias?

In aviation we have a lot of automation, but pilots are trained how to use that automation. The 737 MAX crashes is a great example in which the manufacturer enhanced automation and not only did not train pilots, but did not even bother to tell them the system existed.

The biggest danger with automation in cars is that untrained people are using these systems. We already have morons trying to bypass built in safety systems, and a lot of people ask a lot of very basic questions about TACC, AP and FSD. Tesla seems to feel drivers can figure this out on their own when far too many are clueless.

I think the lack of training is the biggest issue with Tesla AP. My experience in aviation is limited to small general aviation Cessnas. It was made very clear to me from day one that autopilot on those plans have their limitations: the systems will do whatever they can to maintain your presets, regardless if it puts your plane into a stall. In my mind, Tesla's AP system is similar.

My friend hates automation and he thinks Tesla autopilot is a bad thing. Says it makes us lazy and become worse drivers because we are now relying on automation and can't fend for ourselves. He also hates auto correct and he thinks any type of automation means humans using their brains less and being dependent on it. I like autopilot and it helps a lot for long drives on freeway. And it's one of the reasons I don't mind driving far now because autopilot can help conserve my energy.

He compared the scene in Wall-E where the fat guy falls out of his automated chair and he couldn't get back in. Not because he was fat, but mainly because he was dependent on all those robots / automation around him.
I hope your friend also refuses to drive cars and instead run on foot everywhere.

My friend hates automation and he thinks Tesla autopilot is a bad thing. Says it makes us lazy and become worse drivers because we are now relying on automation and can't fend for ourselves.
He doesn't have to use AP if he doesn't want to. I think I can still fend for myself, anyway.

For that matter, just driving a car AT ALL makes us lazy, and we're still using automation. He ought to sell his car and walk everywhere. No using a bike -- that's automation! And maybe he ought to go barefoot, too.