Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Friendly tip -- Don't block the cabin air sensor!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
My spouse and I were on our way home from Cape Cod after watching my grandson play in a hockey tournament yesterday. it was quite cold, low 20s (F) and windy. On the trip down to the rink, the heater worked fine. The trip was more than 60 miles, plenty of distance for the cabin to heat up, or for a problem to show up. But on the way home (after a charging stop), the heater was blowing cold air. I tried making various adjustments, raising the temperature setpoint, etc., to no avail.
Then I thought to check the center console. Sure enough, I had plunked my soft winter hat onto the console, and it was resting against the surface where the cabin temperature sensor is. So the hat was blocking the cabin air from flowing into the sensor space. Within seconds after removing my hat, we heard the fan speed change, and in 30 seconds or so we started to feel heat from the vents. We had cranked the setting up quite high, so as the cabin warmed we turned the heat back down to a normal setting (70 or 71, I think). The heater kept us comfortable for the rest of the ride home.

I knew from previous experience that it was important not to block the sensor openings, but had been careless about dropping my hat over them. The hat was soft enough that it probably was pressed quite firmly against the circle of openings, blocking most or all of the air.

So -- friendly tip to Model S (and X) owners -- don't let objects block the cabin air sensor!

I wish I had a photo to post that shows the sensor openings in the center console, but I do not. I hope readers know what location I am referring to .

Where exactly is the temperature sensor? The armrests? The cup holder?

Post a photo?

This isn't a very large photo but it is the only one I could find for now. The sensor is behind the circle of punched holes in the face of the center console, below the cup holders (which do not show in this photo). So, air flow to the sensor can be blocked by things being placed on top of the console, especially if the cover is down over the compartment where the 12 V plug and USB ports are. (The cover is folded up in the photo.)
I hope this helps!

cabin air temp sensor opening.jpg