Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front and parking sensors not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model 3 SR+ owner. Love the car. Been 2 days with it.
One issue I noticed is that the front and rear sensors don’t seem to be working. I don’t see the proximity detection lines and distance nor any sound when reversing and close to touching an object.
Anyone else experiencing this with they model 3s?

One issue I noticed is that the front and rear sensors don’t seem to be working. I don’t see the proximity detection lines and distance nor any sound when reversing and close to touching an object.
Same, I picked up my M3 AWD yesterday, my proximity sensors are also not working. No beeps or distance lines when navigating in tight spots, also can’t make lane changes on autopilot either because it says ‘ultrasonic sensors not communicating’ seems like that’s a related issue.

When I got mine in January, it had a left front (#1) ultrasonic sensor that was bad. That one malfunction was enough to prevent display of all the parking distance lines, front and rear. Also, there were no parking chimes, as well as no auto lane change, auto park or navigate on autopilot. I did a support chat via the Tesla website and the agent was able to run a remote diagnostic on the car to identify the failed sensor. After scheduling the service appointment, the service center contacted me the next day to say that they ordered a new sensor and would call me back once they had it and it was painted. About two weeks later, I was in and out of the service center in less than half an hour with everything working perfectly.

oops

Reminds me of a joke.

Three municipal workers who planted trees for a living. Tom dug the hole, Dick put the tree in the hole and Harry filled the hole back in.

The council inspector came along to find a row of freshly filled in holes. What are these holes for, he asked Tom. Well said Tom, Dick has been off sick all week...

Turns out my temperature sensor is offline too. It sure sounds like this joke

Just had this issue after a headlight replacement. Sensor wiring connector was disconnected and not reconnected properly during the headlight swap. The following things did not work:

• External Temp indication
  • Cabin Overheat Protection
  • Remote climate control from app
  • Auto HVAC (always reset to feet)
  • Ultrasonic sensors

Took it back to service and they connected it. Everything worked except the ultrasonics. Rebooted with the two scroll wheels when I got home, and poof, they started working again.

Reactions: chicagoM30402
Same. My '18 Subaru Outback warns me when a snail is moving 40' way as I back up. I'm in love with my new AWD 3, but my backup warning is good only for telling me that just I ran over that snail --or worse.

I just got a new Model X. I had a 2017 Model X previously. I just became aware that the proximity sensors have been eliminated from the vehicle. Not sure about your 3 but in the X the driver can't see any of the car forward of the windshield. I would never have bought it if I had known that that safety feature had been eliminated on the new models. I'm seeing if I can return it for a refund.

I just got a new Model X. I had a 2017 Model X previously. I just became aware that the proximity sensors have been eliminated from the vehicle. Not sure about your 3 but in the X the driver can't see any of the car forward of the windshield. I would never have bought it if I had known that that safety feature had been eliminated on the new models. I'm seeing if I can return it for a refund.
I would imagine OP has the issue sorted now as they posted this 4 and a half years ago