Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Door operation without Premium package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. In my case I have *always* walls or other cars on my driver's side door, and if I open the door at 45 degrees it will 100% hit the wall or the car next.

So my question would be...

(1) I'm fine with auto present turned off, but I don't want to hit anything by automatic door.
(2) if there is NO obstacles detected, does the driver's door always open at 45 degrees?
(3) what is the possibility of the driver's door hitting some objects due to FWD sensor didn't detect obstacles? In other words, do I need to catch the driver's door every time I enter the car at home, at office, everywhere?

When you park between 2 cars for example, you can see the sensors on the display working before u open the door. It also senses a low roof before u open the trunk. You actually see that on te screen as before i think the sensors starting working while the door was opening in real time. I did hit a car next to me in a parking before the software update and never again. I opened that door im not going to say hundreds of times but i never hit anything now. what i do find sometimes is that it sometimes opens just 10% when it can open more, a error in the side of caution.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Non PUP owners-
Can anyone explain with any clarity how the drivers door auto presents on fob double click 10% of time? It's happened to me as well and I can't reproduce the scenario. Happened just last week before .100 software upgrade. We clearly have software to open drivers door with fob but don't have understanding on its mechanics.

My guess is, for us non PUP owners, the presenting door feature is purely limited by software as the doors themselves obviously have all the hardware to open (within the same sensed limits) via the center console (or, for dramatic effect, synchronized to music during the Christmas light show).

I didn't want all that came with the PUP, including auto-presenting doors. But I also assumed you could at least use the FOB to pop the front door ajar. Pressing the button on the door just means I am always wiping away fingerprints from the button. At first this didn't really bother me that much, but, now that I have had my X for a few months, it is one of those things I would really love to see added via software update.

The sensor it uses is in the FWD behind it. It should detect a car as long as it isn't a scenario where something is not blocking the FWD, but is blocking the front door - always keep that in mind. It opens partially in our garage only because of our other car, then when pass the door (from front) it detects me, and opens about another foot only, not hitting our other car but enough to get in. It is awesome actually.

I'm glad I went with the premium package.

Auto-present is a really nice luxury - so nice not having to touch anything getting in and hitting the brake to close the door. In fact I'm happy with every premium feature I bought; finding value is personal.

I'm glad I went with the premium package.

Auto-present is a really nice luxury - so nice not having to touch anything getting in and hitting the brake to close the door. In fact I'm happy with every premium feature I bought; finding value is personal.

Hehe, sorry about the FWD acronym ;-) Guess we are used to it on here with all the Falcon Wing Door talk we had.

I'd agree on the premium auto door operation, you really do get used to it. Also have gotten use to single clicking the fob here in Chicago at least when parked on street so it does not open for you when approach. I had a loaner S for a while last week and noticed how much I appreciate the doors, not only them opening for you but how light/easy they open when you are getting out - don't really have to push it open, etc. That and I walked up waited, and stepped on the brake and waited to no avail a couple of times hehehe so it is interesting how your brain trains you that it is the norm.

Also nice to be able to double click and double click again to open passenger door - don't believe any of the double clicking works for non-PUP as well (was removed in last software release around Nov/Dec).