Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front door randomly flinging itself open when opened.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ever had the front door fly open at full force when opening via the inside or outside handles? It happened to me twice yesterday. The passenger door flung open to its full arc, almost as if it'd been caught by a storm gust of wind. It was clearly being driven by the door motors, because when I grabbed the door I could feel it trying to push further. Fortunately, there was nothing in the way.

The second time it happened was in my driveway when the door was opened from the inside. It had been opened and closed multiple times since the first incident with no issue. Unfortunately, it flung itself open again, this time into the door of my wife's Model 3, leaving a crease.

I can't recreate the issue at will, which means I have to assume my car is going to try and smash whatever is next to me everytime the door is opened.

I never had that happen. Maybe try turning off "auto present" and see if that helps.
I don't have PUP on the X, so no auto present.
Sounds like the sensors in FWD are defective
It's possible it's failing intermittently, but it normally works fine. The door opened with way more force than it would open without an obstacle though. If you imagine how forcefully the door closes from fully open using the center console, it opened even more forcefully than that.

Fronts use the FWD sensors to detect how far to open ...at least that’s what my SC told me :(
Yeah, the fronts do use the FWD door sensors. I'm taking it in on Thursday to have my driver's side FWD looked at again, since I get the red bar phantom obstacles when sitting in the sun. It means the front door only cracks an inch or two when opened and the FWD has to be overridden to open at all.

Reactions: P85_DA
I'm expecting push back from the SC if I can't find a way to replicate this. I'm going to insist that the door mechanism be replaced, because it's unacceptable for the door to open like that. I'm pissed that our Model 3 was damaged, but at least it's our property. Hitting another car in a parking lot like that would be a huge problem. This photo barely does it justice, but it wasn't some little tap.

Attachments

• IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 237
You should be able to replicate it, just a have someone stand outside and film. Open the door repeatedly until it happens again. Tesla will be ale to pull the logs of the door opening. And it's it swing open why to fast that is most likely a hinge or sensor problem.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Ohh man that was a hit ... didn’t realize these doors auto opened that hard ...hopefully ur wife is not as meticulous on cars as guys are :eek::oops:
Let's just say the only reason I got to sleep inside the house last night, was that she was the one in the passenger seat when it opened. I was looking in her direction when she pulled the inside handle and it opened like a jack in the box lid.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
You should be able to replicate it, just a have someone stand outside and film. Open the door repeatedly until it happens again. Tesla will be ale to pull the logs of the door opening. And it's it swing open why to fast that is most likely a hinge or sensor problem.
I opened and closed the door dozens of times after the first incident to try and replicate and eventually chalked it up as a fluke. It wasn't until 6 hours later that it happened again and I've opened and closed it several dozens of times since trying to replicate.

I did put the date and time of the 2nd incident in my service request info, so hopefully they can pull something from that.

This isn't the first time I've had strange behavior from that door though. They reset the door control module before since the door motor wouldn't disengage from the door and provided heavy resistance all the time. You basically had to force the door open and closed. It's been fine since the reset, but perhaps I can use that prior behavior as justification for them to just replace it this time.

Has anyone ever had the front door fly open at full force when opening via the inside or outside handles? It happened to me twice yesterday. The passenger door flung open to its full arc, almost as if it'd been caught by a storm gust of wind. It was clearly being driven by the door motors, because when I grabbed the door I could feel it trying to push further. Fortunately, there was nothing in the way.

The second time it happened was in my driveway when the door was opened from the inside. It had been opened and closed multiple times since the first incident with no issue. Unfortunately, it flung itself open again, this time into the door of my wife's Model 3, leaving a crease.

I can't recreate the issue at will, which means I have to assume my car is going to try and smash whatever is next to me everytime the door is opened.
I had this happen on my Sig P90D X ... we went out to dinner with a relative. My drivers door open 'harsely' then partially closed then repeated that several time. It was hard enough I thought it hurt the hings. Tesla could not confirm what happened even tho I gave them the date and time. I only saw it once. I was on an outside parking spot and no one was to my left (drivers side) thankfully!!!