Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Driver Side Headlight Failure - Anyone had this issue before?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

Just a few hours ago, my driver side headlight decided to go on summer vacation, leaving the passenger side headlight to do all the work.

I quickly but barely made it into Lawrence SC before they close and they could not do much other than suggest it may be a wiring harness issue as the entire driver side headlight assembly is not functioning.

Anyone with same issue with their Model 3? What was the fix?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-26 20.51.27.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-26 20.51.27.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 581
This happened to me. Model 3 less than 1 week from delivery and light died song with turn signal. Took almost a month for mobile service to replace the headlight in my driveway just this morning..

Mechanic said that this is the first time he has seen a dead headlight on the model 3.

Reactions: cadetsea
Hey BEPA400,

Thanks for sharing your woes. Can't believe you only had yours for one week and it became a one eye wonder.

I just passed the 6 month mark a few weeks ago and then my driver side headlight made on a Friday died out of the blue.
Luckily, Oakville had a spare driver side headlight in stock...so light died on Wednesday early afternoon, replaced Friday morning.

Service guy at Oakville told me he's seen a couple of Model 3's come in with dead headlight before, but not too common.

You must live far away from a service centre to bring it in BEPA400?

Otherwise, I hope you haven't had any other issues with your Model 3!

Haha no.. I’m a 25 minute walk to the Vancouver SC.
There was a sign it was failing.. the day before while the car was off, the lower part of the drivers headlight remained on and buzzing. That persisted until the whole light just crapped out.

Attachments

• F8DBD036-83E2-430C-BC8A-3A3E10FFB554.jpeg
    F8DBD036-83E2-430C-BC8A-3A3E10FFB554.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 436
Thanks cwerdna of SF Bay Area for thinking of us Canadian's safety with our vehicles! =)

BEPA400, I use to live in Vancouver, and drove a Highlander Hybrid, training wheel for full EV. After moving to Toronto, I have to say that driving here on freeways all day long for me and averaging 120km to 135km(while someone is tailgating you at this speed even)....it is an absolute pleasure/lifesaving to enjoy AutoPilot and instant torque to pass at high speeds (eat that turbo lag based luxury sedans). Never thought I would enjoy a 4 door sedan this much when I am a SUV guy (still am at heart).

Driving in Vancouver all the years I lived there, I think my average speed was like 60km-80km going from Richmond to downtown Vancouver.....so the advantages of a Tesla isn't probably going to be fully realized in Vancouver unless you hit a highway going to the burbs.

Hope you get to drive your Model 3 more...maybe go down and pick up more packages at Point Roberts when our dollar hits 80 cents soon! =p

Last edited:
When Model 3’s started delivering in Canada June 2018 I heard a lot of people having this issue, mine was fine but since then I haven’t heard much. Then this thread came along and I checked my headlights and what do you know, my passenger side is dimmer than my driver side. Well *sugar*

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Hi YusufT,

So sorry to hear of your bad luck. Please keep us posted on whether Tesla Service is going to replace your entire passenger side headlight.

I also noticed that my gap has slightly increased where the bumper joins the hood, so if they replace your headlight, check the potential new gap.....maybe take a photo of before they replace your headlight, so you have a reference. I wish I took a photo of my hood gap before they replaced my headlight.

Good luck!

Hi YusufT,

So sorry to hear of your bad luck. Please keep us posted on whether Tesla Service is going to replace your entire passenger side headlight.

I also noticed that my gap has slightly increased where the bumper joins the hood, so if they replace your headlight, check the potential new gap.....maybe take a photo of before they replace your headlight, so you have a reference. I wish I took a photo of my hood gap before they replaced my headlight.

Good luck!
Hey I haven’t logged into the forum in a while so apologies for the late followup.
Once I booked the appointment I got a call from the service centre requiring me to take photos of both headlights and email it in. They called me back a day later saying the photos are good and I may proceed with my appointment. Once I came in once again they wanted to do a visual test before taking possession of the vehicle. Then they said it’ll take 3 hours and that was that. They replaced the entire unit and now both headlights are same brightness.

Hey I haven’t logged into the forum in a while so apologies for the late followup.
Once I booked the appointment I got a call from the service centre requiring me to take photos of both headlights and email it in. They called me back a day later saying the photos are good and I may proceed with my appointment. Once I came in once again they wanted to do a visual test before taking possession of the vehicle. Then they said it’ll take 3 hours and that was that. They replaced the entire unit and now both headlights are same brightness.
Hey YusfT,

Thanks for sharing your positive experience. Now you don't have a lazy Model 3 eye anymore. =p

I just recently went back to the SC to rotate my tires, and boy, it was expensive at $97 + tax.

Gonna have to find someone else reputable to do tire rotation in the future that I can trust to hoist up the Model 3 properly.

Hope nothing else is wrong with your Model 3 YusfT!

Hey YusfT,

Thanks for sharing your positive experience. Now you don't have a lazy Model 3 eye anymore. =p

I just recently went back to the SC to rotate my tires, and boy, it was expensive at $97 + tax.

Gonna have to find someone else reputable to do tire rotation in the future that I can trust to hoist up the Model 3 properly.

Hope nothing else is wrong with your Model 3 YusfT!
Thanks dude and yeah mostly every service is more expensive through Tesla but it’s worth it. I got my callipers painted and the guy raised my car. Even though he apparently did a lot of Teslas before, something broke underneath the car and I don’t know what it’s from. I have to speak to Tesla and see what it was.