Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody install the sunshade on their 3 yet? I am interested in seeing how easy it attaches, if it integrates somewhat seamlessly with the roof, and how well it works. I realize that winter may not be the best time for the sunshade but hotter temperatures are right around the corner in Texas!

I ordered the sun shade for the front and only use it when it's hot outside. It integrates well. The only issue I have is trying to figure out how it folds so that it fits back in its storage bag when not in use. Otherwise, it's great.

Also wondering if it sits up high very close to the glass or if it droops down and reduces effective headroom in the front? I’ve seen YouTube videos of the rear sunshade and it looks like it droops down quite a bit. Can’t quite tell on the front piece though.

I received my sunshade however it did not come with the clips. Anyone else out there get them?
It does come with 4 clips. I didn't see one when I opened the package. I contacted Tesla and they sent me another front shade. Then I found the "missing" clip. Look again, then notify Tesla. I also got a rear shade. Again one clip fell off. This time I looked and found it. I love the shades:)

In your opinion, is it worth it? I'm a bald redhead in Atlanta, so protecting the dome is a bit of a concern for me. :D
I really like mine. I had them on my S before so this was automatic for me. Some people don't find them necessary, but I value the increased heat rejection and slight glare reduction. I would not go without them. Oddly I received an extra set that Tesla did ot want back, so I have a pair already for my other Model 3 that is on order.

For anyone wondering about tint :

The reason you do not want to tint is because the darker your tint, the more heat is absorbed in the glass. The heat then emanates like a hot plate into the cabin. The sun will stay off the interior, but the heat will now come from the glass continuously.

This is why 3M Crystalline is not offered in limo tint - it can absorb so much heat it can shatter the glass.

The correct method is insulation, which is what the sun shade does. It traps heat between the glass and cabin, while dimming the sun.

In winter it will also stop heat from escaping the cabin.

I got both shades and they absolutely work in 90F+ temps. Really nice improvement, just like Tesla says.

Reactions: ConcordeSST
What I meant is you could take the front sunshade and put it in the back it would fit but it would pucker a bit so it wouldn't fit too small it would be just a little too large for the space. Causing it to drop down maybe touching a taller person's head sitting in the middle of the back seat.

I just installed the heat shield brand which I will provide a link it's also for sale by Evannex at a much higher price. I found out that Canvas Works/Heatshield is the company in California that produces it by the tracking information from UPS. Evvanex sells it Via dropship method at about a $90 markup for entire car.

Heatshield Store - Advanced Windshield Reflector entire car $199.75 vs 289 Evvanex

I liked the top two windows covered with white. Brightens cabin. Back does not cover rear. So you can drive with it. It stops right at the end of the graduating top tint.

Can immediately tell upon driving that the fan is on lower setting via auto to maintain the temperature. I will show a couple more photos as I install the sides and front. Also depending on tint you can't see from the outside that they are in. For instance I took an outside photo of roof. Can't even see the silver.
View attachment 317793
View attachment 317794
View attachment 317795 View attachment 317788

Hi, this looks like a great product. How do you like it so far after using them for a few months? I wish they also sold the small rear piece to make it completely dark. Do you by any chance receive a promo code for this after purchasing it?

thanks,

Hi, this looks like a great product. How do you like it so far after using them for a few months? I wish they also sold the small rear piece to make it completely dark. Do you by any chance receive a promo code for this after purchasing it?

thanks,
20190426_203456.jpg

I did not receive a promo code. Evenexx purchases the Heatshield products and resells it.
The thread is about a different product(tesla mesh shade). Which I also own. I find a little help from the mesh type sunshield, but more from glare or high sun while driving rather than actual heat stopping performance. Better than nothing.

The Heat Shield came with the corner piece you mention missing. I would reach out to whomever you purchased it from and inquire about the triangle piece. That corner lets in a ton of light believe it or not when the rest of the car is blacked out.

I find the product top notch for doing what it is intended for. Is it pretty, no. I didn't buy a sunshade set to sleep in my car to be pretty. I bought it for its effectiveness. I can easily sleep in a parking lot in the mid 90's in sun with the air off or on low after preconditioning car. At night I take the side shades down. Top blocks out fluorescent lights from parking lots. I like how they roll up. Hence the creases in the foil and take little to no room in the trunk. The whole set up takes about 5 minutes, but can be a little claustrophobic while trying to put it all in while heat is blazing.

Again my use case is kind of strange, but so am I. Spent 30 days sleeping in my car last year, and 30 days in a tent. Hope this helps.

I live in South Florida - I have my 3 just about a week and I noticed today that I could not leave my hand on the glass roof as it was so hot and the heat coming from the roof onto my head was extremely uncomfortable to unbearable. I bought the Tesla front roof screen, but there are alternatives on Amazon, apparently cheaper and offer better performance. Find a YouTube comparison from "Frugal Tesla" who compares the Amazon option with the one from Tesla. The test and comparisons are very thorough. His conclusion is the Amazon version blocks more heat, but says the Tesla one does a decent job and has better clips, and is certainly better than nothing.

I live in South Florida - I have my 3 just about a week and I noticed today that I could not leave my hand on the glass roof as it was so hot and the heat coming from the roof onto my head was extremely uncomfortable to unbearable. I bought the Tesla front roof screen, but there are alternatives on Amazon, apparently cheaper and offer better performance. Find a YouTube comparison from "Frugal Tesla" who compares the Amazon option with the one from Tesla. The test and comparisons are very thorough. His conclusion is the Amazon version blocks more heat, but says the Tesla one does a decent job and has better clips, and is certainly better than nothing.
I like the Amazon ones that come with the additional insulation layer you can add on top of the mesh layer. This is good if you'd like it to be blacked out and good for camping/privacy.

I installed the Tesla version. It fits perfectly and the clips are very secure, but easy to remove. I like the Tesla one because it allows a very small amount of light to peak through, but truly mitigates very well the effects of the strong heat coming through the roof glass. The Tesla is solving the main problem without darkening the interior too much. Again, I am only talking about the front piece over the front seat area.