Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Delete?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you ever get a fix it ticket for no front plate
Purchase double sided tape, attach the plate in the parking lot
Get the ticket signed off
Remove and enjoy the rest of your day :)

I have been advocating this for years and years. Got my last ticket maybe 15 years ago, and did exactly this. This week I was driving on I-5, saw a CHP on other side of freeway swing around, cross divider, and pull me over. He had spotted "No Front Plate", and stated that he watched specifically for Teslas. The bad news was that he gave me a warning. I couldn't get it fixed and signed off. So I now have this ugly chunk on my car's sleek front end.

What gets me is that of all the people that live in CA who don't want to mess up beautiful cars, or simply don't want to put a plate on the front (officially, that's 10%), no one seems to care enough to get a stupid out of date law removed. And there will always be (mostly newbie) police officers who are willing to write tickets for those violations. Where is the place I can sign to get a motion on the ballot? Why is this allowed to continue????

I have been advocating this for years and years. Got my last ticket maybe 15 years ago, and did exactly this. This week I was driving on I-5, saw a CHP on other side of freeway swing around, cross divider, and pull me over. He had spotted "No Front Plate", and stated that he watched specifically for Teslas. The bad news was that he gave me a warning. I couldn't get it fixed and signed off. So I now have this ugly chunk on my car's sleek front end.

What gets me is that of all the people that live in CA who don't want to mess up beautiful cars, or simply don't want to put a plate on the front (officially, that's 10%), no one seems to care enough to get a stupid out of date law removed. And there will always be (mostly newbie) police officers who are willing to write tickets for those violations. Where is the place I can sign to get a motion on the ballot? Why is this allowed to continue????

My quick search pulled up a petition from four years ago. It only required 100 signers to get on the ballot. In four years, it got ONLY 18. The petition is closed. I know for a fact that there are more than 100 California owners on this forum, and probably more than 100 don't have front plates. Can someone get something started again?

Reactions: Akikiki
At delivery on 10/6/2016 I was told that "there are 2 little screws to take off" but as we all found, it is next to impossible to do without special tools. Finally, after addressing a letter to Mr. Musk (or whoever reads his mail), the Tampa SC agreed to loosen the screws so that they could be only finger tight. They were not really just finger tight, but I finally got them off. The backing was very hard to pull off, but after constant pulling on one corner I finally got it loose, peeled off the tape and cleaned with with rubbing alcohol, and then applied some wax. Tesla's adds do not show a front license tag bracket, and I think that is deceptive advertising since Tesla won't remove the bracket and say it is necessary because of crash testing.

After writing a letter to "Mr. Elon Musk or Whoever Reads His Mail" complaining about the issue, and including photos of ants in the car and misalligned rocker panel, I received calls from the Tampa SC and they agreed to loosen the 2 underside bolts so that I could remove the bracket.

Just did this task in 36 degree weather. 2 minutes of a hair dryer on one side of the underplate was all that was needed. All the tape came off with one pull. I actually think doing this in cold weather is better and leaves less sticky stuff on the bumper. In my case, I had none to peel off.

Easy fix!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: azred and Akikiki
Another one just done today - I went with the "cut a slot into the screw" method as I didn't have a 90º needle nose plier and didn't want to to driving around looking for one or waiting on Amazon.

One other quick tip I gave give that I don't see anyone else has used is when removing the piece that is taped to the bumper, instead of using your fingers, use a plier to grab one of the tabs and pull. Needs a good pull but came off on the first try and very cleanly, no residue or tape left behind.

Screen_Shot_2016_12_24_at_6_06_48_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016_12_24_at_6_06_27_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016_12_24_at_6_06_12_PM.jpg

Where is the place I can sign to get a motion on the ballot? Why is this allowed to continue????
Seriously ? I would love to have NO license plate, messes up the look of the rear end too. What if you were a victim of a hit and run accident and all you had a view of was the front plate of the car ? Or someone committed a violent crime and witnesses only saw the car from the front?......The law isn't changing my friend

More than likely the front plate requirement in CA is for all of the intersection cameras. Yes, there is a database entry created almost every time you cross an intersection. It is used by virtually every police department in the country.