Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FRONT LICENSE PLATE IN BAY AREA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not understand AT ALL the resistance of some to put proper identification on vehicles as required by law. Are they so vain? Why invite unwelcome attention? The excuse, " it spoils the looks " is lame. The disregard of the law about the plates is in the same league as those that break the rear windows. You deserve each other.
IMO the main reason is the frame is not installed at the factory, so it enables people's natural sense of laziness not to install it. That and if the police are not actively enforcing it, and the fines are small, there is little to no incentive to install it.

Interesting article and map. Southern states rule :cool:

Why Do Some States Require Front and Back License Plates?
I'm also jealous of Southern states open carry rule.

I would not mind being able to do this to my Model 3.

2019-05-19.png

got popped yesterday, Sunday May 19th - tinted front windows and no plate. He didn't write me up on the license plate, but did on the tint and he encouraged me to add the plate. I'm hosed as he sits on HW49 up in Auburn CA and will start to get me all the time if I don't get them resolved.

What kind of tint do you have in the front? Did you mean the windshield or the front passenger and driver windows?

Yeah, always a risk. But at least in that case you should be able to have the ticket dismissed, I would think. But still a potential hassle.

They give you a letter from the DMV so if you get pulled over, you at least have that to show the cop. Meter maids would be the real problem.

Maybe put a copy of the letter on your dash, however as stated, ticket should be dismissed if this is legit.

I do not understand AT ALL the resistance of some to put proper identification on vehicles as required by law. Are they so vain? Why invite unwelcome attention? The excuse, " it spoils the looks " is lame. The disregard of the law about the plates is in the same league as those that break the rear windows. You deserve each other.
I want more "disagrees" to prove my point.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vines
I've had a lot of experience not having a front plate on my Firebird for the last 22 years in the Bay Area. Got cited maybe 4 times over that period. Usually when parked on the street in Palo Alto for lunch.

What I then do is go to the police station late at night, better if it is cold or raining. Park in front. I keep my front plate screwed to the mounting bracket, and then I use double-sided heavy duty sticky mounting pads to temporarily attach it to the front of the car. Walk into station and get officer to come out and sign off on it. Take off plate and drive away. Paid low fee by mail (used to only be $10-25 or so). That's how it worked at least 3 times, they don't seem to keep records of it.

The 4th and last time it happened, I went to a different police station, parked, stuck the plate on (the sticky pads were a bit old), and went in to ask an officer to sign off. To my surprise the clerk asked to me to just go back out to the car and take a picture of the plate on the car with my cell phone and then come back to show her. I walked back out to my car, and the plate had fallen off! Thank god the procedure changed :) Stuck it on and quickly snapped a photo, returned to station, got signed off yet again...

The 4th and last time it happened, I went to a different police station, parked, stuck the plate on (the sticky pads were a bit old), and went in to ask an officer to sign off. To my surprise the clerk asked to me to just go back out to the car and take a picture of the plate on the car with my cell phone and then come back to show her. I walked back out to my car, and the plate had fallen off! Thank god the procedure changed :) Stuck it on and quickly snapped a photo, returned to station, got signed off yet again...
This was my experience, minus the taped-on plate falling off (I'm using The Bandit), at the San Jose police station a few months back: CA HOV decal front bumper

I have caved, CHP wins in my area. Never had an issue with not having a front plate for 30+ years of driving, but they have me nailed now. Also, front passenger and driver window tint removed (I had the bare minimum) - amazed at how much the tint actually helped.

Seems California would be all for the tint, reducing heat and all. I’m sure I can find a way to tie the pack on window tint to global warming, then this state would be all for it. Hell, I could probably apply for a million dollar grant and write a stupid paper on my findings is this a@@ backwards run state.

Oh well......first world problems.