Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also CA-based. I did not install the plate either (really messes up the clean front end). I have the plate in the trunk in the event I need to install it in a hurry, but zero issues to date. I have two other cars, neither has a front plate and I've never had an issue here.

I'm in NY which is front plate state. So when you get your new Model 3, the dealer doesn't have the plate installed and they leave it up to the owner to do it? That is great if true!
Yes, Tesla doesn't install the front mount. Many people here in CA go without it. I'm going to leave it in my frunk and stick it on when I park in SF so I don't get tickets from the meter maids.

• Helpful
Reactions: BagheeraNY
Did Tesla provide the screws for the front license plate? I found the mount but I can't find the screws anywhere.
I also didn't receive any screws with my mount. I went to the SC and asked about the screws and they told me it was supposed to be taped to the mount. The service guy came back a few minutes later showing me his dirty hands because he had to dig around to find me four screws. Good luck!

I'm in Toronto and both my front and back plates were installed when I took delivery on Wednesday, and the rear one had the Model 3 plate holder from the store. I had bought 2 already, so now I have an extra one.

Now I want to go check the garage because I used the screws that were already on when putting the front plate cover on but they were awkward. Didn't even realize there were ones in the box. :)

I did have the bag of screws taped to the back of the mount. But there's nothing really special about the screws. The mounting holes are not threaded and are just plastic, so you can use any short screws that seem appropriate for the holes.

The screws intended for the front have the points cut off so they do not go so far as to hit the actual car bumper. If you end up getting your own screws, it might be worth filing down the tips.

It varies by state, in CA they will not install the front plate but I think in NY they are required to install prior to delivery.

Can anyone in NY confirm?

When I picked up in NY, they asked if I wanted to install it myself or have them do it for me. Since it is required here as you mentioned, I just asked my DA to do it. Took literally 15 seconds because of the double sided tape.

I had asked my ISA over the phone if it would be possible to NOT have the delivery center mount the plate holder. She told me that since CA requires a front plate, it would be installed prior to delivery. Apparently Fremont doesn't know about this because when I picked up my car, the holder was still inside the car. All of the other vehicles in the lot also did not have the holder mounted on the front.

I have since ordered the "The Bandit (v2)".

Reactions: BM3LRPUP19
I did have the bag of screws taped to the back of the mount. But there's nothing really special about the screws. The mounting holes are not threaded and are just plastic, so you can use any short screws that seem appropriate for the holes.

The screws intended for the front have the points cut off so they do not go so far as to hit the actual car bumper. If you end up getting your own screws, it might be worth filing down the tips.

I checked the box from the one I used and opened the new box I have and neither plate covers included any screws with it, either in the box or taped to the plate holder. Strange!