Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Texas. The law is we have to display a license plate in the front and back of the car. I just bought my model Y. I’ve asked friends of mine who own Teslas if they mounted the front license plate. So far, none of my friends have front license plates on their Teslas. And have never been pulled over for not having one. So what do I do? I don’t want a $200 ticket for missing plates! But the car looks so nice without displaying the plates in the front. Any advise?

I remember back in the 80s getting pulled over for not having a front plate on my VW Scirocco. I subsequently put one back on and had to find a cop to sign off and the cop made the comment that the car was too small to find a place to mount the plate. IE He even realized it was a stupid reason for the first cop to pull me over.

Upvote 0
Well we are taking the 80’s. Do you recall the strict bumper regulations of the day. Should have a Porsche, Lamo , Ferrari or the like you had the clunky ugly bulbous bumper extenders to meet import laws. Nowadays if you buy one of those thing you just remove them and default to Euro spec, provided they haven’t already been modified.

Btw I couldn’t even fit into a Scirocco with my height. The lack of adjustable steering wheel didn’t help either.

• Funny
Reactions: rlzalusky
Upvote 0
Knock on wood... I haven't displayed front plates on most of my new cars for years (like 20 ~ 25) now. I haven't been pulled over, but I do keep the front plate in the trunk just in case. My excuse would be --- "yes, osifer - I am waiting for a factory mount that's supposed to arrive any day now." Keep my fingers crossed that I never have to use the excuse.

Upvote 0
Last month, I was in a shopping plaza for dinner in Rowland Heights. There was a cop writing tickets to parked cars without a front license plate. He walked over to my car, and gave me a verbal warning While proceeding to write more tickets.

I had always thought front plate was a cheap fix it ticket. Turns out it is now a moving violation with a $200 fine. So I went home and installed the OEM front plate after 40k miles on my car. But I hope y’all would never get a ticket for something that silly!

Upvote 0