Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Texas. The law is we have to display a license plate in the front and back of the car. I just bought my model Y. I’ve asked friends of mine who own Teslas if they mounted the front license plate. So far, none of my friends have front license plates on their Teslas. And have never been pulled over for not having one. So what do I do? I don’t want a $200 ticket for missing plates! But the car looks so nice without displaying the plates in the front. Any advise?

I live in California and got my Y 2 months ago. This is the no drill , $8 solution which works great for me.

Easy to remove if needed and took me about 10 minutes to attach. No drilling and no sticking to the paint.

Word on the streets is that most bridges , Golden Gate bridge and Oalkand bridge will no longer allow toll collection and will rely strictly on camera to bill you. License plates will be required or if caught hefty fee for trying to not to pay the bridge toll.
The bridges read your rear plate I believe. I use the San Mateo bridge weekly without a front plate and still get the tolls.

Upvote 0
Word on the streets is that most bridges , Golden Gate bridge and Oalkand bridge will no longer allow toll collection and will rely strictly on camera to bill you. License plates will be required or if caught hefty fee for trying to not to pay the bridge toll.
Another way to pay toll is to get a Fastrak responder. Bay Area Fastrak doesn't charge a monthly maintenance fee (and you can get one from them no matter where you live)

Upvote 0
Another way to pay toll is to get a Fastrak responder. Bay Area Fastrak doesn't charge a monthly maintenance fee (and you can get one from them no matter where you live)
You don't even need a transponder for FasTrak, you can register your license plate(s) on your account. That way whenever you go through a toll plaza it just bills you. I've been doing this for years with just a rear plate and no issues.

Reactions: faimui
Upvote 0
The No drill , no glue and removable Etsy solution , only $7.99

The front plate is not so noticeable on the Y than the 3 especially if the plate is mounted on the lower air grill.

20220308_165053.jpg
20220308_165112.jpg

Upvote 0
What you get with the more expensive bracket designs is the ability to quickly remove the front license plate when desired. Also, the license plate mount of the SnapPlate is designed to break away under force. This can protect the grill from damage. It is much less expensive to replace the SnapPlate (individual replacement parts are sold separately) than to have to replace the grill.

Upvote 0
+1

I prefer a centered front plate too. Ordered the Slipstream Bracket after much research. Did want something solid and not just 3D printed parts. I’ll post some pics when I get it but it has 3-4 weeks lead time.
I returned my slipstream, it didn’t fit, it was to snug with the front bumper with the license plate screwed grommets as well as I feel the locking anchors were too short for the myp 22.

Upvote 0
I live in Texas. The law is we have to display a license plate in the front and back of the car. I just bought my model Y. I’ve asked friends of mine who own Teslas if they mounted the front license plate. So far, none of my friends have front license plates on their Teslas. And have never been pulled over for not having one. So what do I do? I don’t want a $200 ticket for missing plates! But the car looks so nice without displaying the plates in the front. Any advise?
I'm in Texas and have front plates on only 1 of 4 vehicles. Didn't bother putting one on my MYP. I've never been pulled over for not having one.

Upvote 0
I'm in Texas and have front plates on only 1 of 4 vehicles. Didn't bother putting one on my MYP. I've never been pulled over for not having one.
I got pulled over yesterday in Round Rock. The cop was waiting to make a left turn when he saw me driving in opposite direction. I didnt think much of it but when he made a U and started following me, I knew he was going to pull me over. Long story short he let me go with a warning after running my DL. He commented pulling over another Tesla driver earlier in the day too. Further suggested I fix it soon and mount license plate. With more Teslas on the road, think they will start enforcing this more.

Reactions: Whitebeard
Upvote 0
California here - nobody bothers with front plates, particularly on Teslas. Heck, if people can literally get mugged and robbed with little or no action by the police, are they really going to bother with this? I think the odds are pretty well in my favor, and if I get exceptionally unlucky to get the one cop in a bad mood looking to fry someone for something petty someday, I’ll install the bracket, pay the “fix-it” ticket and remove it five minutes later.

I’m not a chronic speeder, but I’m not going to hang a reflectorized mirrored target on the front of my car for speed laser, or for meter maids to auto-scan plates looking for ticky-tack violations to write simply as a matter of revenue enhancement. I certainly am not penalizing my vehicle’s looks or aerodynamics just to “give ‘em an easy one”.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got pulled over yesterday in Round Rock. The cop was waiting to make a left turn when he saw me driving in opposite direction. I didnt think much of it but when he made a U and started following me, I knew he was going to pull me over. Long story short he let me go with a warning after running my DL. He commented pulling over another Tesla driver earlier in the day too. Further suggested I fix it soon and mount license plate. With more Teslas on the road, think they will start enforcing this more.
Gotta love the fact police are telling the public they are stretched thin and do not respond to such things as petty thefts, stolen cars, graffiti, etc. but they sure have time to harass people for not having a front plate. It's a joke.

I've heard they are not supposed to be pulling anyone over for not having a front plate. If you're pulled over for speeding or something else, they can then add the no plate violation to the ticket. But then again, nobody really knows what's going on anymore these days.

Upvote 0
California required plate: In 30 years and always at least two cars, I’ve never had front plates. Granted I don’t frequent the big cities much, but I do have the SNAPPLATE that can have the front plate on in 30 seconds. Personally I rarely see Teslas with front plates. And now a brief chance to show off my new machine and the front plate look.

Upvote 0