Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Parking Camera - My $150 / 15 min. installed Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem I have is my car spends much of its life in a dark garage. Don’t think I’ll get benefit from the solar aspect…, not to mention I live in Seattle. 😂

That’s said, for $20 it’s worth a shot!
for what its worth, mine too is in the garage most of the time. i think the ambient light coming through the windows i have on the doors and overhead lights that come on when someone goes in or out of the garage , that plus times i do drive the car is just enough

OK @Stirthepot and @WilliamG , you both convinced me - nice writeup and feedback report. I got the solar version and installed it today. Like they both said, its a very easy install. I don't know if the solar panel will get any light to charge the battery, but desk charging the camera every 2 months is not that big of a hassle. Let's see how it holds up to the weather.

Only thing I noticed is the camera seems to be over enthusiastic in gauging distance. It shows I am hitting the obstacle when I am really 12-15 inches away. Better this than the opposite I suppose ha

PXL_20230108_231300900.jpg

PXL_20230108_231646089.jpg

PXL_20230108_232800616 (1).jpg

Last edited:
OK @Stirthepot and @WilliamG , you both convinced me - nice writeup and feedback report. I got the solar version and installed it today. Like they both said, its a very easy install. I don't know if the solar panel will get any light to charge the battery, but desk charging the camera every 2 months is not that big of a hassle. Let's see how it holds up to the weather.

Only thing I noticed is the camera seems to be over enthusiastic in gauging distance. It shows I am hitting the obstacle when I am really 12-15 inches away. Better this than the opposite I suppose ha

View attachment 893760

View attachment 893761

View attachment 893763
Yep you’re not wrong about the distance. It’s the nature of a wide angle and the size of our bumper that’s probably putting it off. Thankfully you can adjust the lines to make it work.

Weird every time I click a link from here I get this, but it’s okay I believe I found it on Amazon as Auto-Vox backup camera View attachment 893914
well, apple. that's your problem. haha, just kidding.

I am sure they are all the same, but for what it's worth, my exact model was 'SunGo2' from 'Cargoplay' on amazon. It came with solar for $143 including tax.

View attachment 893760

View attachment 893761

View attachment 893763
Just did mine today! Solar-upgraded my existing. Took a few mins.

Attachments

• EA6B4474-F467-4B5C-B521-274CE43D305F.jpeg
    EA6B4474-F467-4B5C-B521-274CE43D305F.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 162
Glad some others are enjoying this. FYI - for the first time since I installed I dropped a bar on the battery, guessing its the cold weather and my lack of driving the car over the last couple of weeks. I think a lot of people with model 3's would like this as well.