Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front passenger seat back fell off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two week old Model Y. Passenger apparently adjusted height of head rest and the back of the seat fell off. I’m having a challenging time re-installing it. Not too many YouTube videos on this topic. My guess is the seatback wasn’t latched in properly during installation but was held in place by the arms of the headrest. Once the headrest was raised the seatback was free to disengage. Any advice?

This happened to me on my new Y. I had Tesla service come out and just like mentioned above the just held the back up in place and pushed down on the headrest really hard to snap it in place. Felt stupid that we hadn't realized that the headrests are NOT adjustable. They look like they are because of the arms, but like you've experienced....when you pull them up, there is nothing left holding the back on.

Two week old Model Y. Passenger apparently adjusted height of head rest and the back of the seat fell off

What? Your passenger sat in the back seat, pulled down the body of the pax seat, found the two pins he had to move to the side, was able to move them both without them snapping back into place, then lifted the headrest up?

Your "passenger" did all this? Where were you?

This happened to me too in my Model S. I raised and lowered the head rest to secure a towel on the seat after mowing the yard. The next day I noticed that the seat back had fallen off. I looked at the back and didn’t see anything broken and notice that the posts seemed to hold the seat back in place. Once I lined everything up and pressed the headrest down, the seat back stayed in place.
365091D8-6F31-47C1-9C7F-4BFFEAEAB2B2.jpeg
365091D8-6F31-47C1-9C7F-4BFFEAEAB2B2.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: KBF
Hi all,

Just took delivery of a MYLR23 at the very end of November.

I recently disengaged the clip to push the head rest up a little bit to place a plastic hook that goes around the head rest poles. I got the passenger seat to click back. However, the driver seat head rest pins came loose. I guess I either pried too far out.

I was able to get the pins back into position and made sure they had tension, but the headrest won’t click in anymore. Any ideas on what to do here? Will mobile service be able to help with this? How much would it cost?

You commented months ago but maybe you still have this problem.

I kept learning you can't remove that irritating head rest until I found a YouTube video showing how to do it. It works great until you discover the head rest is, nonsensically, the primary way the seat back is attached to the seat.

So I turned it around and put it back in. There's a trick to it but it's pretty easy to do yourself. You just need to get the head rest lined up while pressing firmly on the seat back, so that the poles of the head rest fall into the holsters of the seat back again. It can be kind of a crowded 3 hands operation since you really need the seat reclined pretty far to get the head rest back in. But, definitely something you can do yourself with little risk.

Once reinserted backwards, that head rest no longer cramps my neck and no longer leaves me in a dangerous situation with a big gap between my neck and the seat back - that was a serious danger in case of rear end collision when it was facing forwards. The head rest has less padding facing this way, but still has padding, so fears of it being unpadded when flipped around like this are unwarranted.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike_TV