Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing the headrest in the model 3/S-Maybe this helps someone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed.

Guaranteed exactly how?

There are 3 types of insurance coverages that most folks procure:
  1. Liability Coverages (coverage paid to others when you are at fault for a covered loss).
  2. Personal Coverages (coverage for you and your passengers)
    1. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
    2. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Property Damage
    3. Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
  3. Vehicle Coverage (what most folk talk about when they talk about vehicle coverage). This may include:
    1. Comprehensive
    2. Glass Deductible
    3. Collision
    4. Towing
    5. Rental
    6. New Car Replacement
    7. Loan/Lease Gap Coverage
The only one on the above list that might (theoretically) be a subject of debate is 2.3 - PIP.
Incidentally, it's the most useless portion of the coverage, since your personal insurance is ALWAYS better than the bare bones coverage offered by PIP.
In other words, PIP is worthless if you have medical insurance coverage of any kind.

Consequently, the scare mongering about insurance implications of interior modifications are of equal value to that of PIP.

a
Your personal health insurance won't cover a non-family passenger or driver. You would have to hope they have adequate health insurance to cover themselves along with your PIP. And PIP can cover lost wages as well, which their health insurance won't.

And even then, if you're deemed to be at fault, their health insurance may come after your car insurance company and/or you to be reimbursed. You didn't do a simple 'interior modification'. You've modified a safety feature of the car. If you think someone wouldn't use that against you if they thought it would save them money or get more out of you, you're fooling yourself. Hopefully, you never have to find out.

Reactions: WyoDude
While your DIY looks impressive, I hope you have a big name insurer. Any smaller insurance company is gonna seize on that like a dog on a bone to deny or reduce any claim you make. Guaranteed. And the onus is gonna be on you to prove that your installation was just as 'safe' (however that's defined) as the original configuration.
I don't think so I think it's a reasonable aftermarket modification done with safety and comfort in mind

Your personal health insurance won't cover a non-family passenger or driver. You would have to hope they have adequate health insurance to cover themselves along with your PIP. And PIP can cover lost wages as well, which their health insurance won't.

And even then, if you're deemed to be at fault, their health insurance may come after your car insurance company and/or you to be reimbursed. You didn't do a simple 'interior modification'. You've modified a safety feature of the car. If you think someone wouldn't use that against you if they thought it would save them money or get more out of you, you're fooling yourself. Hopefully, you never have to find out.
Using this logic any modification you would ever do to your car could be considered a safety modification to be honest. Tesla makes such a weird car in some ways it's almost impossible not to modify it in some way to meet somebody's personal needs. A comfortable driver is going to be the safest driver on the road if you're not comfortable you're not going to be safe

They sell aftermarket headrests with monitors on them with adjustable posts.

There's probably some liability in there somewhere but not a big deal unless it's directly involved in the injury and the insurance wants to fight you based on an aftermarket headrest.

Personally, the Tesla seats work great and the headrest is a non-issue. I honestly don't see how a big blocky one is an improvement but...whatever floats your boat

Using this logic any modification you would ever do to your car could be considered a safety modification to be honest. Tesla makes such a weird car in some ways it's almost impossible not to modify it in some way to meet somebody's personal needs. A comfortable driver is going to be the safest driver on the road if you're not comfortable you're not going to be safe
No, not every mod would be considered a safety mod. At least, not by any reasonable person. Changing the seat covers could never be considered on the same level as modifying the seatbelt tension, safety wise. And I would disagree that most people 'need' to modify a Tesla. They aren't THAT different from conventional cars. You do what you gotta do. If you feel the new headrests are worth it, then rock on.

They sell aftermarket headrests with monitors on them with adjustable posts.

There's probably some liability in there somewhere but not a big deal unless it's directly involved in the injury and the insurance wants to fight you based on an aftermarket headrest.

Personally, the Tesla seats work great and the headrest is a non-issue. I honestly don't see how a big blocky one is an improvement but...whatever floats your boat
There are two main problems with the way that Tesla does their headrest. First of all, it doesn't go up or down so there's a limit to how tall somebody can be and have it work for them. I am over this limit. Secondly, it's very narrow, so there's very little ability for the driver to shift positions during long road trips to help promote circulation in different parts of the body. Humans are not robots. Each human body is different and has different needs when in the sitting position for long periods of time. This is especially becomes true as people age and they suffer injuries and whatnot. Having a headrest that goes up and down and has more horizontal surface position is a no-brainer. That is why you will be hard pressed to find an auto manufacturer that has done headrest like Tesla has in the history of automobiles. In addition to going up and down and having plenty of horizontal surface, it is also nice for the headrest to be adjustable to the front and back position. These are basic items in most passenger cars for a reason. The headrest or head restraint is one of the most important parts of the car as it shields our necks and heads in the event of an accident and keeps them comfortable during vehicle operation.

• Love
Reactions: Skavatar
In the history of automobiles?
There are two main problems with the way that Tesla does their headrest. First of all, it doesn't go up or down so there's a limit to how tall somebody can be and have it work for them. I am over this limit. Secondly, it's very narrow, so there's very little ability for the driver to shift positions during long road trips to help promote circulation in different parts of the body. Humans are not robots. Each human body is different and has different needs when in the sitting position for long periods of time. This is especially becomes true as people age and they suffer injuries and whatnot. Having a headrest that goes up and down and has more horizontal surface position is a no-brainer. That is why you will be hard pressed to find an auto manufacturer that has done headrest like Tesla has in the history of automobiles. In addition to going up and down and having plenty of horizontal surface, it is also nice for the headrest to be adjustable to the front and back position. These are basic items in most passenger cars for a reason. The headrest or head restraint is one of the most important parts of the car as it shields our necks and heads in the event of an accident and keeps them comfortable during vehicle operation.
You mean like Audi RS8, all RS and R sports seats with non-adj headrests or Nissan GTR seats or all 911 seats like the current four optional seats for the 911 that are all one piece, narrow, no adj headrest or the BMW M seats or Lexus LFA or RC seats? Or all race seats required to meet safety standards with non adj headrests?

Like I said, who cares. Do what you like. I was trying to ease up the attack on your fat headrests but yeah I think they are ugly and pointless.

In the history of automobiles?

You mean like Audi RS8, all RS and R sports seats with non-adj headrests or Nissan GTR seats or all 911 seats like the current four optional seats for the 911 that are all one piece, narrow, no adj headrest or the BMW M seats or Lexus LFA or RC seats? Or all race seats required to meet safety standards with non adj headrests?

Like I said, who cares. Do what you like. I was trying to ease up the attack on your fat headrests but yeah I think they are ugly and pointless.
For the most part yes. You may be able to find some exceptions with niche sports cars but headrests or head restraints are adjustable in the vast majority of passenger cars for a reason. It's simply more safe to have a head rest that is adjustable for many different types of bodies that frequent these cars. Plus the narrow headrests in the Tesla do not offer as much surface area for the head to rest on as the driver shifts positions especially over long road trips. This seems like it should be common sense.

For the most part yes. You may be able to find some exceptions with niche sports cars but headrests or head restraints are adjustable in the vast majority of passenger cars for a reason. It's simply more safe to have a head rest that is adjustable for many different types of bodies that frequent these cars..
More safe for the careful individual driver who is aware of proper head restraint adjustment, but it may not be more safe on a population scale where most drivers leave adjustable head restraints in the lowest and furthest back position that is the least protective position for most drivers. Most recent cars with adjustable head restraints limit adjustment to a small amount of vertical adjustment (where the lowest position is still high enough for IIHS rear crash testing), with the forward / backward position fixed to be close enough to the head in IIHS rear crash testing (though drivers who put the backrest more vertical are likely to find such a position to push their head forward uncomfortably).

More safe for the careful individual driver who is aware of proper head restraint adjustment, but it may not be more safe on a population scale where most drivers leave adjustable head restraints in the lowest and furthest back position that is the least protective position for most drivers. Most recent cars with adjustable head restraints limit adjustment to a small amount of vertical adjustment (where the lowest position is still high enough for IIHS rear crash testing), with the forward / backward position fixed to be close enough to the head in IIHS rear crash testing (though drivers who put the backrest more vertical are likely to find such a position to push their head forward uncomfortably).
As such I find it questionable (unless there is empirical tests that show it) that an adjustable headrest would necessarily be safer given the safest position may not necessarily be the most comfortable position to rest your head on (IE people adjust based on what is comfortable for them, not necessarily what is safe).

Last edited:
As such I find it questionable (unless there is empirical tests that show it) that an adjustable headrest would necessarily be safer given the safest position may not necessarily be the most comfortable position to rest your head on (IE people adjust based on what is comfortable for them, not necessarily what is safe).
Comfort and safety are very closely related when we spend as much time in our cars as we do as Americans

It is not that the restraints are not adjustable, it is that their positioning is horrible and they are hard against the back of my head.
I get a headache after about an hour behind the wheel and a neck ache shortly after that. There has to be a solution that Tesla can apply

It is not that the restraints are not adjustable, it is that their positioning is horrible and they are hard against the back of my head.
I get a headache after about an hour behind the wheel and a neck ache shortly after that. There has to be a solution that Tesla can apply
Generally the head restrains seem to either be designed for people that sit straight (with their backs not generally touching the seat, the head restraint is closer to head).

Or if they tilt the seat back a bit so headrest is angled flat vertically, while seatback is tilted back at an angle.

Many people have the seatback vertical, which would make the headrest dig into your head or neck depending on how tall your torso is. For people that must have the seatback vertical, people remove the headrest and flip it backwards (so the protruding part is facing the back instead of the front).

Exactly, so if Tesla made adjustable head restraints or headrests then people could actually adjust them to their needs! Novel idea huh?

Generally the head restrains seem to either be designed for people that sit straight (with their backs not generally touching the seat, the head restraint is closer to head).

Or if they tilt the seat back a bit so headrest is angled flat vertically, while seatback is tilted back at an angle.

Many people have the seatback vertical, which would make the headrest dig into your head or neck depending on how tall your torso is. For people that must have the seatback vertical, people remove the headrest and flip it backwards (so the protruding part is facing the back instead of the front).
Thanks for the info. I will try that. Not sure how to remove the headrests but it likely involves releasing clips in the seat that hold the shafts in place.
I will research it, try it, and report back in a couple of days.

Thanks for the info. I will try that. Not sure how to remove the headrests but it likely involves releasing clips in the seat that hold the shafts in place.
I will research it, try it, and report back in a couple of days.
There is a clip on the left side (looking from back to front of the car). You have to pull down on the fabric to expose one clip, push it aside with a flathead screw driver to release one side and then do the same on the other. The challenge is sometimes the other side doesn't stay released, so a helper to hold one side up may be helpful.

Note for the video, the suggestion that they are adjustable is incorrect. There aren't multiple detents, so the headrest becomes loose when it is not locked into place. Plus the two rods are used to retain the seatback. So if you adjust it upwards, either the seatback will fall out or the headrest will eventually lock back into the factory position

Reversing it has the same problem of not having a detent, but the headrest at least is in the fully down position, so at least the seatback won't fall out.
Here's another thread that discusses this:

You can also bend it like others discussed, but that reversing requires no modification and is easier to do. Also trying to adjust your seat might be preferable to either option (tiling it back and also adjusting your seating position further from steering wheel tends to help).

I haven't seen people suggest it, but scoring a slight notch might be an option to help retain it and reduce the risk of it flying off in an accident.

Thanks a million. This car is less than 2 weeks old so I don’t want to go about cannibalizing it or bending the headrest posts.
I bought some neck pillows from Amazon but they are a little hard. Luckily they have a removable cover so I think I will experiment with softer filler.
I am looking to find some softer foam

Exactly, so if Tesla made adjustable head restraints or headrests then people could actually adjust them to their needs! Novel idea huh?

Or they wouldn't and they would leave them in a potentially more dangerous position. It can go either way.
Yes, that is likely why, when considered on a population scale. Individual drivers who are conscientious about adjusting the head restraint properly are probably the minority. Here is a question: when you get into someone else's car or drive a rental car, do you check the adjustment of the head restraint before driving off (or when getting into the car as a passenger)?

There is a clip on the left side (looking from back to front of the car). You have to pull down on the fabric to expose one clip, push it aside with a flathead screw driver to release one side and then do the same on the other. The challenge is sometimes the other side doesn't stay released, so a helper to hold one side up may be helpful.

Note for the video, the suggestion that they are adjustable is incorrect. There aren't multiple detents, so the headrest becomes loose when it is not locked into place. Plus the two rods are used to retain the seatback. So if you adjust it upwards, either the seatback will fall out or the headrest will eventually lock back into the factory position

Reversing it has the same problem of not having a detent, but the headrest at least is in the fully down position, so at least the seatback won't fall out.
Here's another thread that discusses this:

You can also bend it like others discussed, but that reversing requires no modification and is easier to do. Also trying to adjust your seat might be preferable to either option (tiling it back and also adjusting your seating position further from steering wheel tends to help).

I haven't seen people suggest it, but scoring a slight notch might be an option to help retain it and reduce the risk of it flying off in an accident.
It is adjustable, even though there are no dents it's a pretty tight fit so you can move it up and down as you wish without it moving