Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 'Y' - Help. Is it possible to remove driver's front seat headrest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery early March. Am aware front headrests are not adjustable. But, was taking a quick nap in driver's side seat and reclined the seatback. While resting, my head bumped up against bottom of headrest. Half asleep, I reached up with hands to push against headrest (leverage) and move my body down. The headrest moved up and the back side of the seatback fell away. I can only assume the headrest had not been fully inserted to the 'lock position.' I pushed the headrest back down to lock position and then inspected the back side of seatback leaning on the rear seat. Became aware the headrest cylindrical posts are what hold the top of the back side of seatback in place - the posts protrude through brackets attached to back side of seatback. Now unable to push headrest up in order to replace back side of seatback.

How is it possible to remove the headrest from the locked position?

Took delivery early March. Am aware front headrests are not adjustable. But, was taking a quick nap in driver's side seat and reclined the seatback. While resting, my head bumped up against bottom of headrest. Half asleep, I reached up with hands to push against headrest (leverage) and move my body down. The headrest moved up and the back side of the seatback fell away. I can only assume the headrest had not been fully inserted to the 'lock position.' I pushed the headrest back down to lock position and then inspected the back side of seatback leaning on the rear seat. Became aware the headrest cylindrical posts are what hold the top of the back side of seatback in place - the posts protrude through brackets attached to back side of seatback. Now unable to push headrest up in order to replace back side of seatback.

How is it possible to remove the headrest from the locked position?
Yes you can remove the headrest, here is how (for Model 3, but it should be same for Model Y):

The headrest rods are used to retain the seat back cover, that is why your seat back fell off.

The headrest was not designed to be adjustable, although I do finder that it being removable was helpful for sometimes loading long cargo.