Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front plate mount all new deliveries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't be surprised if they will start to do it in CA as there might be some pressure from authorities. Literally 3/4 of the Model 3s around here and about a similar proportion of S and X don't have front plates, and police truly have better things to do than pull people over for not having front plates (for a different reason than law enforcement usually cares about).

It starts to look like Tesla owners think they're above the law for their own aesthetic whims. I say this as someone who far prefers not having a front plate, but begrudgingly does so.
This isn't just a Tesla thing. I have been going without a front plate for a long time. Lots of other people in the car community around me do the same. They simply don't look good and in VA it is a secondary offense so you cannot be pulled over for it.

This isn't just a Tesla thing. I have been going without a front plate for a long time. Lots of other people in the car community around me do the same. They simply don't look good and in VA it is a secondary offense so you cannot be pulled over for it.

Of course. The issue here is that with Teslas, it doesn't just extend to the "car guys/gals", but potentially a lot of others who "just think it looks better without." Tesla can be seen as contributing to that by not installing a front plate holder and leaving it to the customer, and also giving people a place to lay the blame when they get pulled over: "But Officer, Tesla didn't give me a place to put the plate."

Hence my point that I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is getting pressure to put that holder on.

Of course. The issue here is that with Teslas, it doesn't just extend to the "car guys/gals", but potentially a lot of others who "just think it looks better without." Tesla can be seen as contributing to that by not installing a front plate holder and leaving it to the customer, and also giving people a place to lay the blame when they get pulled over: "But Officer, Tesla didn't give me a place to put the plate."

Hence my point that I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is getting pressure to put that holder on.

I think Tesla does put it on unless asked specifically by the owner not to. When I got to the delivery center for mine he was finishing up my rear plate and he asked me if I wanted the front plate on, when I told him no he just placed it in my trunk. He did make sure to tell that it was legally required to have one, which I knew.