Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Front Number Plate Attachment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening all,

Resurrecting an old post here.

Previously asked the forum if anyone had removed the god awful tesla brackets on the Model Y, especially the front.

I've sorted the rear but I don't want to drill the plate on the front to attach to the rear base.

Question is, has anyone managed to fit the plate to that base using a 3M tape and if so, what tape have you used? I want to use tape but having nightmares about it falling off (yes I know I should just screw it then!)

Nah, looked at the vinyl ones. Just want to stick this metal one to that plastic base. Had originally done it with super strong Velcro but it fell off within weeks, luckily on the drive.

Same happened to us. The reason being the type of plastic material that the plastic holder base is made from. In hindsight, I found that it was unfortunately listed as not a suitable plastic for the Heavy Duty Velcro fittings. So you need to check if whatever fixing you use is suitable for use with the 'waxy' type plastic that the original holder is made from - unfortunately I cannot remember the exact type but I think closer inspection of the holder may list the type of plastic. This is very common for many glues, not just that used on the Velcro fitting. I currently have temporarily reverted back to original mounting, but when I get around to it I will revert to using a couple of screws into the holder back - hopefully they will align nicely with the letterings and green stripe in the plate.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Same happened to us. The reason being the type of plastic material that the plastic holder base is made from. In hindsight, I found that it was unfortunately listed as not a suitable plastic for the Heavy Duty Velcro fittings. So you need to check if whatever fixing you use is suitable for use with the 'waxy' type plastic that the original holder is made from - unfortunately I cannot remember the exact type but I think closer inspection of the holder may list the type of plastic. This is very common for many glues, not just that used on the Velcro fitting. I currently have temporarily reverted back to original mounting, but when I get around to it I will revert to using a couple of screws into the holder back - hopefully they will align nicely with the letterings and green stripe in the plate.
I’m in same position currently, back to original bracket. Above suggestion of gorilla tape is the only one I’ve had so far adhesive wise

I haven't done it with my current car but previously bonded HD velcro onto the Tesla plastic holder base using Gorilla contact adhesive and then a number of short Philips screws through the velcro for additional security. If screwed down tight these sit below the retaining surface of the velcro so the remainder makes contact. It never came loose in nearly three years but if it had, the screws would have held long enough once it became visible.

I haven't done it with my current car but previously bonded HD velcro onto the Tesla plastic holder base using Gorilla contact adhesive and then a number of short Philips screws through the velcro for additional security. If screwed down tight these sit below the retaining surface of the velcro so the remainder makes contact. It never came loose in nearly three years but if it had, the screws would have held long enough once it became visible.

Thanks for that suggestion - I've already got some Gorilla glue. I'll give that a try but not looking forward to trying to separate the two parts of velcro. That stuff is so strong... hoping I never have to try and take rear plate off. I think I made a bit of a mistake by using such long strips! I've actually used a combination of Gorilla glue and HD velcro on a different application (on to high density foam) and the Velcro won!

Very good idea mate, best of both worlds

Thanks for that suggestion - I've already got some Gorilla glue. I'll give that a try but not looking forward to trying to separate the two parts of velcro. That stuff is so strong... hoping I never have to try and take rear plate off. I think I made a bit of a mistake by using such long strips!
My previous M3P hd Velcro front and back, stayed solid for 3 years through all weathers. Velcro was stuck straight to bodywork. Was a bit of a chore getting it off but I expected that to be honest. Used some spray glue remover for the residue, all all came up like new.

Reactions: MrBadger
Did you get round to sorting your plate out? I’ve bought the screws but can see how these can screw into that base plate as it’s very thin material.

Did you get round to sorting your plate out? I’ve bought the screws but can see how these can screw into that base plate as it’s very thin material.
Not had a chance yet. Old plateholder just fixed to the back plate with a couple of self tappers so was just going to do the same. I saw your comment in other thread about the void. Behind. The self tappers should cope with that in the same way that current one is just left on with a couple. As long as you don't overtighten and pull them through the plastic they should be ok.