Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Suspension Aft Link grind bolt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am slowly replacing some left suspension points trying to isolate a creaking noise, I have replace 6007998-00-C the Fore link, next is 1027351-00-C which is the Aft Link Assy.
Problem is the bolt comes out towards the battery pack, Tesla says you have to drop the battery pack to get it out. I say I pull it out a little, grind it off, and then re-install it from the other direction? Anybody doing their own maintenance on here, think it will work, tried it?
Don't tell me to take it to the SC! LOL

Just spoke to parts and they actually recommended cutting the bolt before I even got a chance to ask! Cutting that bolt!

Friend of mine just did that recently (at SC) and they charged nearly $2k to do both sides-- Only one was creaking, but once they drop pack I think they figure doing second is wise.

While looking into his issue I found numerous posts on FB from owners who DIY and they all cut the bolt, reinstalled backwards and then cut off the excess to prevent collision intrusion into pack.

Friend of mine just did that recently (at SC) and they charged nearly $2k to do both sides-- Only one was creaking, but once they drop pack I think they figure doing second is wise.

While looking into his issue I found numerous posts on FB from owners who DIY and they all cut the bolt, reinstalled backwards and then cut off the excess to prevent collision intrusion into pack.

Oh nice! Good call on shortening the bolt! How'd you find that? I can't seem to find DIY's for anything on these cars. I often feel like I am the only one working on them. ;)
I actually eliminated my creak for the time being. I wanted to try and figure out which bushing was making the noise before I go spending another $250 on another link that didn't fix my problem. I disconnected almost every piece on the front left suspension and cycled it around, but couldn't ever get the noise to reoccur. I lubed everything and reinstalled. I also removed my 3D printed lowering links for the Air Suspension lowering mod, and returned to original links.
So far it is silent...hopefully it remains like this.

Oh nice! Good call on shortening the bolt! How'd you find that? I can't seem to find DIY's for anything on these cars. I often feel like I am the only one working on them. ;)
I actually eliminated my creak for the time being. I wanted to try and figure out which bushing was making the noise before I go spending another $250 on another link that didn't fix my problem. I disconnected almost every piece on the front left suspension and cycled it around, but couldn't ever get the noise to reoccur. I lubed everything and reinstalled. I also removed my 3D printed lowering links for the Air Suspension lowering mod, and returned to original links.
So far it is silent...hopefully it remains like this.

It was on one of the worldwide Tesla owner groups on Facebook. I don't know which one. Mostly they're filled with cream puff complaints but every now and then a piece of DIY gold comes along worth noting. I didn't save the link or anything-- but really that description is all you need to know. Good luck!

Cut that bolt? Isn't that a cam adjustment bolt? Would you still be able to adjust cam if the bolt go in the other way?

boltsla.png