Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front UK number in front of grille

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone mount their front license plate down in front of the grill?

Wanting to do this on my Model Y

I've got a 5-digit private plate where I've had short plates made & was thinking of mounting them using something like in the image to mount down in front of the grille.
Airflow is to be considered but shouldn't affect things too much.

Car's going in to be wrapped so fancied moving the plate to get a cleaner look.

il_794xN.1621347788_jqnh (Large).jpeg

Attachments

• il_794xN.3374756287_4bhq (Large).jpeg
    il_794xN.3374756287_4bhq (Large).jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 116
  • il_794xN.4319121405_9unj (Large).jpeg
    il_794xN.4319121405_9unj (Large).jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 108
  • s-l500 (Large).jpg
    s-l500 (Large).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 99
  • s-l1600 (Large).jpg
    s-l1600 (Large).jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 105
Personally, I don't like it. Breaks up the shape of the front of the car too much.

Have you thought about vinyl plates? I don't have short plates, but I have vinyls front & back and I think it looks so much better than the stock plate holders. Especially on the front, a flat plate just looks like an odd afterthought (which it is, really).

Reactions: Jason71
There are radiators on Teslas although I’m not sure where the airflow goes in but I wouldn’t assume there’s no impact without checking. They can also be louvered so they may look closed when stationary (pretty sure my MS ones were like that because they used to creak when opening and closing).

Even if technically ok, personally it looks too low to me aesthetically, but that’s just personal taste

Reactions: init6
Personally, I don't like it. Breaks up the shape of the front of the car too much.

Have you thought about vinyl plates? I don't have short plates, but I have vinyls front & back and I think it looks so much better than the stock plate holders. Especially on the front, a flat plate just looks like an odd afterthought (which it is, really).
Regarding vinyl's I'm thinking of these though also concerned that when I take the car to be washed (they use high power jets) they will stay on 🤔

I have and like the vinyl plate. I've had no problems with it. Yesterday I saw a black M3 in Christchurch with the numberplate mounted to the side, below the passenger headlight, possibly even farther round than that. It was a fair quick glimpse but it looked good. I'd never considered that location before.

I have and like the vinyl plate. I've had no problems with it. Yesterday I saw a black M3 in Christchurch with the numberplate mounted to the side, below the passenger headlight, possibly even farther round than that. It was a fair quick glimpse but it looked good. I'd never considered that location before.
Ooh offset plates, stylistically not everyone’s cuppa. But Alfa do them ok. Well Alfa front ends are beautiful anyway.

A59B5A7C-F200-4DBB-B921-C6B6A8971ED5.jpeg

IMO, off centre plates only work on cars where there is a focal point on the front that necessitates the plate being off centre (as per above examples, new gen M3, Alfa etc.)

It’d look odd on a MY (imo of course - all subjective) because it will make it look like something is “missing” from the middle of the bumper.

My vote is for vinyl centred. Alternatively, just removing the outer plastic frame and sticking the plate to the backing plate makes a positive difference too which is what I’ve done (for OCD car cleaning reasons primarily).

As far as I can tell, there is no minimum height requirement in the Regs to stop you going as low as you desire. Just be aware that you might encounter issues with speed humps and the like if it goes too low.