Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front wheel rubbing noise while turning backing out of my driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 Model X Raven Long Range has started making a loud noise while turning the front wheels after backing out of my driveway. If I instead back up further across the street and then just pull forward there is no noise at all.

So turning 90° while backing up causes a loud rubbing noise. Turning 90° while moving forward causes no problem. It sounds like the wheels are rubbing against the wheel wells.

Anyone else have this problem? I’ve got a service center appointment in 3 weeks but my first long road trip is coming up next week.

(These are the original tires and wheels that came with the car. Suspension is usually at the standard height.)

My 2019 Model X Raven Long Range has started making a loud noise while turning the front wheels after backing out of my driveway. If I instead back up further across the street and then just pull forward there is no noise at all.

So turning 90° while backing up causes a loud rubbing noise. Turning 90° while moving forward causes no problem. It sounds like the wheels are rubbing against the wheel wells.

Anyone else have this problem? I’ve got a service center appointment in 3 weeks but my first long road trip is coming up next week.

(These are the original tires and wheels that came with the car. Suspension is usually at the standard height.)

OK, I just figured out my problem! When my snow tires/wheels were removed a few weeks ago and the original tires/wheels put back on, 1 of the larger wheels that belongs on the rear axle was place on the front. It must be rubbing against the wheel well liner. I’ll get this fixed today or tomorrow and hopefully that will be it.

Separate question. I marked my snow tires’ positions when they were removed from the car but not my original all season tires. How do I tell which goes on the right and which goes on the left? I know that I am not supposed to rotate the tires, and won’t do it again, but just wondering if there’s some way to tell now which belongs where?

I’ve only got 5500 miles total on the two sets of wheels combined, so I suspect that it doesn’t matter much now, as long as I keep track in the future.

Thanks!

Tire Size
(front) 265/45R20
(rear) 275/45R20

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Separate question. I marked my snow tires’ positions when they were removed from the car but not my original all season tires. How do I tell which goes on the right and which goes on the left? I know that I am not supposed to rotate the tires, and won’t do it again, but just wondering if there’s some way to tell now which belongs where?
I am not sure it really matters side to side. That is sort of a form of tire rotation. If there was a directional tread pattern then that would require putting them on same side and the tires would be marked left/right. Not too many of those in the world.

Obviously you have learned front to back is critical.

Reactions: WarpedOne
OK, I just figured out my problem! When my snow tires/wheels were removed a few weeks ago and the original tires/wheels put back on, 1 of the larger wheels that belongs on the rear axle was place on the front. It must be rubbing against the wheel well liner. I’ll get this fixed today or tomorrow and hopefully that will be it.

I’ve only got 5500 miles total on the two sets of wheels combined, so I suspect that it doesn’t matter much now, as long as I keep track in the future.

Thanks!

Tire Size
(front) 265/45R20
(rear) 275/45R20

Yep, just swapped the two wheels, moving the 275/45R20 from the front to the rear. Wow, it’s amazing! No more rubbing noise.

Actually they are a great shop. They just didn’t realize this time that the tires are offset on a Model X. (Apparently no other SUV has offset wheels?)They were very apologetic. They got me in and swapped them immediately.

The BEST thing is that they let me store my off-season tires there so no lugging wheels back and forth. Despite this one mistake, which I forgive and spoke to the owner about, they are an EXCELLENT small, privately owned tire shop.

Incidentally my four snow tires that they had just removed were all the same size. I view it equally as MY mistake as I knew the wheels were offset but totally forgot that tidbit of information when I watched them swap out my snow tires.

If as you say that you have the manufacturer original tires, then there is no directional tread pattern on that car. You can swap the front tires with each other, or swap the back tires with each other. Of course that may not always be the case in the future if your switch to another type of tire. Glad you figured out the problem.

If as you say that you have the manufacturer original tires, then there is no directional tread pattern on that car. You can swap the front tires with each other, or swap the back tires with each other. Of course that may not always be the case in the future if your switch to another type of tire. Glad you figured out the problem.
Thanks for the confirmation. That’s what my shop told me but it’s nice to hear that from others.