Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen windscreen washers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, the wiper defroster has very little impact on frozen nozzles/lines in my Aug 2022 model 3
I had to wait until temp got to 0 degrees this morning to be able to wash my windscreen
I think the purpose of the wiper defroster is to free up blades which are frozen to the screen, rather than heating the washer jets. I think it just directs warm air to the lower part of the windscreen where the wipers are at rest.

Reactions: Adopado
I think the purpose of the wiper defroster is to free up blades which are frozen to the screen, rather than heating the washer jets. I think it just directs warm air to the lower part of the windscreen where the wipers are at rest.
I think the new models have additional heating elements where the wipers tuck away for that purpose, pre-wiper defroster they relies on warm air and that's why the manual suggested using hte service mode.

Well the chip from a rock I collected the other week (and failed to promptly get Autoglas onto the case) came back to haunt me this morning.

Got in the car (after preheating) to find not one but two separate nice long cracks in the screen 🙈👿

I had the wiper warming function on and I really think that may have triggered it - temperature differential across the screen first thing in the morning + said rock ‘n chip defect (and another I didn’t spot earlier)

Oh well. New screen just in time for Christmas…merry Xmas X. You get fresh glass for crimbo this year 😅

At least I got 5 years out of this one and it was pretty pockmarked and had a good few blade scratches.

Last edited:
Isn't there a wiper defrost function next to the heated steering wheel function on the climate screen in the car? No 7 on this screen shot?

View attachment 884384

7. Touch to turn on the wiper defrosters (if equipped). Wipers defrost for 30 minutes then turn off automatically.
That just stops the wipers sticking to the windscreen, doesn’t warm the pipes or reservoir.

Reactions: AndyWarrington
Checked my car this morning at-8C and the wipers were in a defrosted region after 5 mins of pre-heating. In fact, I think putting the wipers in service mode could actually be worse than leaving them alone?? Note: I don't have heated wiper blades.
wipers.jpg

It’s not done with air flow - there are resistive conductors on the back of the window glass at the bottom where the wipers sit.

That just stops the wipers sticking to the windscreen, doesn’t warm the pipes or reservoir.

Whilst this isn’t untrue, I have found that after 30 minutes with the wiper defrost on (and cabin HVAC of course…) you can use the washers again. (This is in -2 to -6) so it helps a bit I think because it will stop the fluid freezing in the blades / nozzles even if not the reservoir.

I could use my washers as soon as I set off (albeit in -3 to -5). I use the same stuff that Tesla use, which is a BMW screenwash. Even diluted (same stuff that’s been in there since the summer) it hasn’t frozen, thankfully.

That said I did need to pour water on my wipers this morning whereas you newer car owners don’t have to :)

Well the chip from a rock I collected the other week (and failed to promptly get Autoglas onto the case) came back to haunt me this morning.

Got in the car (after preheating) to find not one but two separate nice long cracks in the screen 🙈👿

I had the wiper warming function on and I really think that may have triggered it - temperature differential across the screen first thing in the morning + said rock ‘n chip defect (and another I didn’t spot earlier)

Oh well. New screen just in time for Christmas…merry Xmas X. You get fresh glass for crimbo this year 😅

At least I got 5 years out of this one and it was pretty pockmarked and had a good few blade scratches.
Good luck with getting that screen sorted before Crimbo!

I booked mine in with National Windscreens in September after they said my 'chip' was not repairable. Finally had an appointment 21 November but as they were about to remove the screen they noticed it wasn't the same. I have a little notch in the camera bit and the ones on site were flat.

Come the weekend and the cold snap the wee chip became an 18" horizontal crack.

Anyhow after going back on the waiting list I've since changed insurers so have now tried through Autoglass. Paid my £75 excess up front for a 23/12 mobile fitting only to get a call next day to shift to 12 January 2023 at their workshop.

We'll wait and see who comes up trumps first...

BTW went to Tesla Stratford upon Avon who talked me through a service request for a new screen via the app, which initially quoted 2 days, only to have heard nothing since. Not even showing in my app as an appointment🤷‍♂️ to make a follow up?

Reactions: Sean.
I could use my washers as soon as I set off (albeit in -3 to -5). I use the same stuff that Tesla use, which is a BMW screenwash. Even diluted (same stuff that’s been in there since the summer) it hasn’t frozen, thankfully.

That said I did need to pour water on my wipers this morning whereas you newer car owners don’t have to :)
Is that the stuff in the posh white bottle that is good for -55 c undiluted that they used to position enticingly close next to the service reception desks? :D

Is that the stuff in the posh white bottle that is good for -55 c undiluted that they used to position enticingly close next to the service reception desks? :D
Not sure. It is this stuff (I paid £17.50 - still quite a lot for screenwash):

When I was looking before I was told this is what they were putting in the cars at the time. Even diluted it's good down to -11C.

Good luck with getting that screen sorted before Crimbo!

I booked mine in with National Windscreens in September after they said my 'chip' was not repairable. Finally had an appointment 21 November but as they were about to remove the screen they noticed it wasn't the same. I have a little notch in the camera bit and the ones on site were flat.

Come the weekend and the cold snap the wee chip became an 18" horizontal crack.

Anyhow after going back on the waiting list I've since changed insurers so have now tried through Autoglass. Paid my £75 excess up front for a 23/12 mobile fitting only to get a call next day to shift to 12 January 2023 at their workshop.

We'll wait and see who comes up trumps first...

BTW went to Tesla Stratford upon Avon who talked me through a service request for a new screen via the app, which initially quoted 2 days, only to have heard nothing since. Not even showing in my app as an appointment🤷‍♂️ to make a follow up?
Yeah I’m very well versed with Tesla parts delays and repair time inflation. Can only but live in hope. Good luck with yours too.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
There we go. Got notified today they can’t accommodate me until 3 January - due to parts availability.

Stiff price on a new screen around £977 for the screen, primers & sealants, £338 to fit it then add 20% for his majesty pleasure.

Do you know how much the screen on the 3 is or are you letting insurance take care of it?

There we go. Got notified today they can’t accommodate me until 3 January - due to parts availability.

Stiff price on a new screen around £977 for the screen, primers & sealants, £338 to fit it then add 20% for his majesty pleasure.

Do you know how much the screen on the 3 is or are you letting insurance take care of it?
There was a worldwide "drought" of windscreens in the early part of this year and a bird smashed into my screen in January fortunately not puncturing it.
I got my windscreen replaced by Tesla Winchester in mid-May this year after a 4-month wait for Autoglass basically to waste my time and Churchill just passed the buck to Autoglass. Officially Churchill will only reimburse £200 less your excess for a non-Autoglass replacement.
The car was legally undriveable because half of it was severely crazed over - I did do a couple of, cough, 'emergency' shopping trips hoping fuzz wouldn't catch me.
Paid Tesla Winchester £833 for windscreen and two wiper blades and because of Autoglass total lack of help Churchill finally refunded me all but the £75 excess.

• Informative
Reactions: Sean.

No idea about cost, although I have some strange invoice on my account that matches the date of my original appointment to fit the 'wrong' screen. It is down as £470 which TBH I would probably pay Tesla just to get it sorted.

However, looking at yours and others comments this doesn't tally and I ain't spending a grand on a new one.

There'll be some waiting going on until I get it sorted via the insurance...

Not sure. It is this stuff (I paid £17.50 - still quite a lot for screenwash):

When I was looking before I was told this is what they were putting in the cars at the time. Even diluted it's good down to -11C.
I purchase the 60 litre concentrate from BMW and dilute this myself. It is about £120 IIRC and using it on 3 vehicles it lasted me nearly 6 years before I had to but another. Mixing screen wash is really bad as it causes the filter to gum up inside the bottle and that is never an easy job to clean or replace.

Reactions: Durzel