Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk latch recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The hood latch recall is an inspection, and if not properly positioned, it is adjusted. I didn't see anything in the recall about replacements. If the latch has failed, and it's out of warranty, I'd expect they would charge for it.

The 8 GB eMMC in MCU1 is only replaced if Tesla determines it has failed (within 8 years/ 100K miles). If you purchase MCU2, it has its own eMMC (64 GB) and has little to do with MCU1's eMMC. Many elect to replace MCU1 with the MCU2 retrofit, as it is faster, offers some new features and is more reliable. The downside is the retrofit makes your old AM/FM/XM radio incompatible. Tesla can update the radio ($500?) to get FM/XM, but AM is a goner.

The hood latch recall is an inspection, and if not properly positioned, it is adjusted. I didn't see anything in the recall about replacements. If the latch has failed, and it's out of warranty, I'd expect they would charge for it.

The 8 GB eMMC in MCU1 is only replaced if Tesla determines it has failed (within 8 years/ 100K miles). If you purchase MCU2, it has its own eMMC (64 GB) and has little to do with MCU1's eMMC. Many elect to replace MCU1 with the MCU2 retrofit, as it is faster, offers some new features and is more reliable. The downside is the retrofit makes your old AM/FM/XM radio incompatible. Tesla can update the radio ($500?) to get FM/XM, but AM is a goner.
Thanks for the clarification.