Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FS: P85+ Black/Black, 600 Miles, Mint - Austin, TX - SOLD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely shocked by this news. When life changes, you adapt and we all understand. I CAN'T WAIT until you start a new thread 6-9 months from now with your new specs based on the Tesla offerings at that time. Safe travels, don't be a stranger. I expect you to rock your Tesla gear around the world and spread the knowledge. Keep posting and upselling - no one does it better than you!

and keep your eye out for any wealthy Singapore tycoons importing an S).

I don't think he will see any until the RHD version starts shipping next year. From Wikipedia:

Singapore bans LHD vehicles from being imported for personal local registration, but temporary usage by tourists of LHD vehicles is allowed. However, diplomatic vehicles in Singapore are exempt from the RHD-only ruling, and there are a few hydrogen and fuel cell powered LHD vehicles currently undergoing trials in Singapore.

Anyone thinking about buying a Tesla, make ABSOLUTELY SURE you will keep it for a long time, as the resale market is T E R R I B L E for them. Not enough out there, and you will lose your shorts!

Dang Tex. Is this a joke? (Not the selling of the car, which I understand given the circumstances, but the comment about resale). What do you mean by not enough of them out there?

Anyone thinking about buying a Tesla, make ABSOLUTELY SURE you will keep it for a long time, as the resale market is T E R R I B L E for them. Not enough out there, and you will lose your shorts!

I think any high end car is going to lose similar value right as it leaves the lot. I would expect a $120k Porsche to sell for under $100k once it is even slightly used, so sounds about right. Unfortunate, but right. True there aren't as many Tesla buyers out there yet, but I think it's more that there aren't all that many $100k used car buyers out there...

Dang Tex. Is this a joke? (Not the selling of the car, which I understand given the circumstances, but the comment about resale). What do you mean by not enough of them out there?

On the secondary market--dealers, wholesale and such don't have any real value to base pricing off of because there are not many on resale/wholesale market. So no, trust me no joke. The most ANY dealer (and I went to five) would offer was $93K. They have no clue and that's the problem over main stream cars--that's all. Hey I love Tesla, so no haters here--but there are plenty in the thread for you.

On the secondary market--dealers, wholesale and such don't have any real value to base pricing off of because there are not many on resale/wholesale market. So no, trust me no joke. The most ANY dealer (and I went to five) would offer was $93K. They have no clue and that's the problem over main stream cars--that's all. Hey I love Tesla, so no haters here--but there are plenty in the thread for you.

You really can't use those guys as a barometer of the market. Trust me, I was in the business. The truth is, for a "specialty" car (and an all electric six figure machine is certainly a niche product at this point), they are going to low ball the heck out of any offer. Then, they will turn around and list it at 115k-119k and take 110k-114k when they sell it. I hate to say it, but someone stole that car from you at that price considering the mileage and options. Heck, the TEXEX91 pedigree adds about 1-2k in value to me!

You and I discussed this,privately before in regards to haters. There are certainly some people here with sticks jammed where the sun don't shine and I agree those guys do create a real buzzkill for me. Then there are the stockholders who attack if you even hint you dislike anything about the car or the company. I try to ignore those guys and learn/share with other true enthusiasts

You really can't use those guys as a barometer of the market. Trust me, I was in the business. The truth is, for a "specialty" car (and an all electric six figure machine is certainly a niche product at this point), they are going to low ball the heck out of any offer. Then, they will turn around and list it at 115k-119k and take 110k-114k when they sell it. I hate to say it, but someone stole that car from you at that price considering the mileage and options. Heck, the TEXEX91 pedigree adds about 1-2k in value to me!

I buy 1-2 $100K cars per year--I know how it works, trust me. This car is terrible on secondary market period. No one stole anything from me--secondary market is what it is. I know Manheim and all other wholesale markets and have plenty of personal friends who are dealers and I do deals with all the time. No need for a lecture to me. Tesla resale su*ks--go talk to the wholesale market--as you know that's what drives resale.

They will not take $114K for a $113K car as they will never pay that--listen go sell your Tesla and you'll find out.

Last edited:
I buy 1-2 $100K cars per year--I know how it works, trust me. This car is terrible on secondary market period. No one stole anything from me--secondary market is what it is. I know Manheim and all other wholesale markets and have plenty of personal friends who are dealers. No need for a lecture to me. Tesla resale su*ks end of story.

I hate to disagree, but I do. You are using one section of the market to determine value. What if we only let Ferrari dealers tell us what used Ferraris were worth? In this case, the wholesale industry is going to make sure they build a lot of cushion into their offer since the product is not established like Porsche, etc. and with a pretty narrow subset of customers they know it will be a harder sell than a car with the prestige of the pointed star or p-crest. Many high end buyers let the badge convince them of the value of a car regardless of whether it's truly worth what they are paying. I remember the first time I drove a Ferrari. My thought was this car should be like sex, but it wasn't AT ALL. I have driven other F-cars that are truly exceptional cars, the mystique leads you to think they all are and that's sad. Tesla does not have that cache yet (and may never have it) so poseurs are not going to help prop up the resale value.
What THEY (the dealers, wholesalers, etc.) are offering for the car isn't indicative of the true value of the car. In this case, you let them convince you it was and you took a price that seemed attractive by comparison, but was actually just a great deal for the buyer that did get it for 98k. Maybe your past experience with other 100k cars led you to think that the Tesla would be valued to the same standard as a Porsche, but again, there are a ton of people who aspire to own a Porsche and have never even sat in one, much less driven one. The Telsa is the opposite: getting them to sit in and test drive is the hard part, especially given the scarcity of "dealerships" currently. Once you get them to test drive, the car sells itself IMO.

Sadly it seems you are bitter about it, but really you should be mad at the dealers who low balled you or yourself for letting them convince you it was a 93k car. Don't let the fact that those guys snookered you sour you on the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.