Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 11.3.6 50+ minute commute with only 1 disengagement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing the video.

Didn’t look like a particularly challenging drive though. I admit I just skimmed the video but I didn’t see any situations where FSD had to actually make a decision - no left turns, no yield or stop signs, no traffic circles.

Sure it works great on the freeway, but if that drive had spent more time on surface streets with the software actually required to make decisions, I’m not so sure it would have been so successful.

Very true. Honestly the most challenging part was merging on to the highway and then crossing 4 lanes in the span of a mile. Even so - before FSD 11.3.6 I couldn’t leave downtown without at least 3 disengagements. It feels a lot more natural now

I like that you slowed the video down for most of the encounters. I only got through about half of the video.

The 1 disengagement was a near miss. A human sees those things coming and responds appropriately in time. I would hope FSD could as well but suspect system latency makes that impossible at this time. That scenario should included in a basic system performance test. I've been wanting to try that as I suspect it will be a 0% success rate for all versions of FSD to date.

I noticed you tend to lean heavily on manual turn signals.

You’re correct. I tend to not trust the FSD judgement of when to start changing lanes. I’ve had experiences where it merged into the exit lane with less than 0.2 miles until the exit where I normally move into the lane much earlier. Not sure if this is because I have “assertive” turned on for FSD drive mode. Will need to try the other modes more and see if that improves.

I’ll record another video with no forced lane changes on my part and see how that goes

Reactions: BobbyTables
That sure looked like a motion parallax problem to me. The other car was coming straight at your camera, so there was too little apparent motion for FSDb to pick up on. As a result, the car was depicted in white for the entire approach Once you corrected and started moving away, there was again sufficient apparent motion, FSDb could see that the other car was too close, resulting in a red rendition.

That's certainly a situation that the software should handle.

Oh. Do you have ultrasonic sensors?
I’ll record another video with no forced lane changes on my part and see how that goes
Heh. If you need a prod to not do that, here you go. FSDb is not good at lane selection. We all know that and there's no reason to add aggravation to your life to remind us of it. Again.

Reactions: kabin
It seems people pushing YouTube video views are awed by FSD. The rest of us believe this product is several years from being the product promised in Fall 2016 and since. BTW I have two Teslas on FSD and never have had an urban trip of 30 miles or more without multiple disengagements.

Reactions: aerodyne and kabin