Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

fsd beta -- helping it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to Tesla and the FSD beta. I've been going out a few times a week at night to test the FSD beta and am starting to freak out a bit less and am even sort of enjoying myself. I was wondering what affect accelerating manually has on the FSD beta. We have a couple of turns that it takes a little slow so I will push on the accelerator a little -- and I think it does something. is this an okay thing to do or am I going to confuse it somehow?

Also, since I've only tested it at night is there any real difference in performance in night driving vs driving during the day?

Gracias.

New to Tesla and the FSD beta. I've been going out a few times a week at night to test the FSD beta and am starting to freak out a bit less and am even sort of enjoying myself. I was wondering what affect accelerating manually has on the FSD beta. We have a couple of turns that it takes a little slow so I will push on the accelerator a little -- and I think it does something. is this an okay thing to do or am I going to confuse it somehow?

Also, since I've only tested it at night is there any real difference in performance in night driving vs driving during the day?

Gracias.
Pressing the accelerator tells the car to proceed with its plan, even if it's not sure it's safe. Be very careful that you, the driver, have confirmed it's safe to proceed before pressing the accelerator.

If you're not sure if it's safe, and are just pressing out of impatience, I recommend disengaging the system (either with the brake pedal or the stalk/button) and proceeding manually, then re-engaging the system.

Yeah, frankly it made me feel a lot better about FSD that I could nudge it along.

On another note, I swear it used to take a couple of right turns near my house so fast that I didn't trust it but now it takes them normally. I'm guessing that I was just a little panicky about the whole thing and now I'm trusting it on these turns a little more. I'm also getting a little better feel for what's going to give it trouble so that helps quite a bit as it feels less random. I still don't have the guts or desire to use it around traffic during the day, but maybe someday!

Does FSD improve over time or is this just wishful thinking? I'm referring to the car's progress throughout ownership regardless software updates. I've only had my MY a few months and I've been nervous about trying FSD.

I've read that the software in my car will learn. Apparently the backup processor is used to shadow the live action and keep track of when the human does something different than what the robot would do. Along with this there's the occupancy network that gains more and more data.

Yeah, frankly it made me feel a lot better about FSD that I could nudge it along.

On another note, I swear it used to take a couple of right turns near my house so fast that I didn't trust it but now it takes them normally. I'm guessing that I was just a little panicky about the whole thing and now I'm trusting it on these turns a little more. I'm also getting a little better feel for what's going to give it trouble so that helps quite a bit as it feels less random. I still don't have the guts or desire to use it around traffic during the day, but maybe someday!
I hadn't thought about trying it out at night. Interesting. I always thought it would be nice to have help with night driving. I'm at that age...