Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD == Boeing 737 Max 8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2019-3-16_10-22-55.png

• Funny
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
This is a really bad analogy.

What happened with the Max 8, is Boeing changed the engines, and moved them on the wing. Under certain circumstances this could cause the nose to tip upwards. They put in code to compensate for that. Then, in a brilliant move, didn't tell anyone. Especially not the pilots who they decided didn't need any expensive hands on training with the new systems.

How aircraft market pressures propelled the launch of the Boeing 737 Max | CBC Radio

Uh, do we all imagine the various security breaches we hear about several times a year?
Dude I write code for a living. Like I said, that’s not happening. You can keep throwing these what ifs to things you don’t understand, but that doesn’t change the truth.

Sounds to me the guy doesn’t understand tech, and he has a Tesla. It’s one thing to be against their self driving approach, it’s another to come up with ridiculous what if situations.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Yeah if you do some research on the 737 MAX this really isn’t an automation issue in my mind. The airplane was redesigned with larger engines for better fuel efficiency. They discovered it caused the airplane to fly differently around the pitch axis than the other 737 series aircraft. So they added a system to the elevator to compensate for these different flying characteristics so that it flew similar to other 737s. The problem is they failed to disclose this to pilots. Both accidents happened in the most raw state you can fly this airplane.

In a very odd twist adding more automation to these 2 scenarios would have helped the pilots. Simply turning on the autopilot would have disabled this new elevator system because it’s only active while hand flying. The unfortunate part is we are all trained when the aircraft is doing something you don’t feel is right disable all automation and hand fly it, which is what they were doing I’m sure.

I mean Tesla updated the abs software OTA after the consumer reports article. So presumably if someone hacked into the update system they could send an update to mess with ABS or braking in general. Don't even need EAP or FSD to cause an accident if you can hack the cars.
This is probably why Tesla has a standing bounty for any software glitches and hacks anyone can present to them. Up to and including a free car for something serious enough........