Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD falls back into Autopilot mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy!

I'm new to FSD Beta, received it late on the 24th.

I used it a few times in my part of town (Houston metro on the south side near highway 6 and Fort Bend Tollroad) without issues (just some interventions required).

Last night I visited friends over in Katy. FSD worked at the start, silently fell back into Autopilot* mode, then started working again at the very end of the trip:
  1. FSD on Hwy 6
  2. FSD on Fort Bend Parkway (tollroad)
  3. Autopilot on Beltway 8 (tollroad)
  4. Autopilot on I-10
  5. Autopilot on SH-99 (tollroad)
  6. FSD on FM 529

Return trip was identical with FSD falling back into Autopilot while I was on SH-99, I-10, and Beltway 8.

Any ideas?

* the new visuals like the red/yellow lines depicting the edges of the road went away and I was once again prompted for lane changes. I've always had Autopilot configured to prompt for lane changes because it likes to use the cash lanes on Beltway 8 even though I have an EZ Tag.

The route: FSD was active in green sections, fell back to Autopilot in the red sections
IMG_0839.jpg

Howdy!

I'm new to FSD Beta, received it late on the 24th.

I used it a few times in my part of town (Houston metro on the south side near highway 6 and Fort Bend Tollroad) without issues (just some interventions required).

Last night I visited friends over in Katy. FSD worked at the start, silently fell back into Autopilot* mode, then worked again at the very end of the trip:
  1. FSD on Hwy 6
  2. FSD on Fort Bend Parkway (tollroad)
  3. Autopilot on Beltway 8 (tollroad)
  4. Autopilot on I-10
  5. Autopilot on SH-99 (tollroad)
  6. FSD on FM 529

Return trip was identical with FSD falling back into Autopilot while I was on SH-99, I-10, and Beltway 8.

Any ideas?

* the new visuals like the red/yellow lines depicting the edges of the road went away and I was once again prompted for lane changes. I've always had Autopilot configured to prompt for lane changes because it likes to use the cash lanes on Beltway 8 even though I have an EZ Tag.

FSD beta will revert back to NOA on highways. That's normal since Tesla has not implemented the FSD Beta stack for highways yet. Also, FSD Beta can revert back to AP in certain conditions like rain when the confidence drops.

Thanks for the quick response!

I wasn't expecting that as my initial FSD outings were up and down highway 6 and it worked OK there, and then it worked OK on Fort Bend Parkway, which is basically the same layout as SH-99 (divided road with limited access) were it didn't work.