Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I can sorta understand it can't be Full Self Driving (Beta) if it is having to ask if it is OK to do a lane change. The whole point is that FSD is making the driving decisions. There is no way it could drive in the city if you have to confirm every lane change, especially the amount of time it takes. You can switch FSD Beta to Autosteer and drive in NoA when you want to confirm lane changes.
Can I switch between Autosteer and FSDb mid-drive? I’m asking because the lane changing decisions are terrible when I’m on the highway portion of my commute when in FSDb. I’d like to be in Autosteer - EAP as I understand it - where it asks for lane change permissions. Then once I get on the freeway I’d like to switch over to FSDb where it can make it’s lane changing decisions. Is this possible?

-Paul

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
Can I switch between Autosteer and FSDb mid-drive? I’m asking because the lane changing decisions are terrible when I’m on the highway portion of my commute when in FSDb. I’d like to be in Autosteer - EAP as I understand it - where it asks for lane change permissions. Then once I get on the freeway I’d like to switch over to FSDb where it can make it’s lane changing decisions. Is this possible?

-Paul
Sorry, but I only did it in my parking deck and I THINK I had to put in Park but not 100% sure. So just try switching on your next drive.

I’m asking because the lane changing decisions are terrible when I’m on the highway portion of my commute when in FSDb.
Have you tried the Minimize Lane Changes option? It causes the car to only change lanes when it must to follow your current route. The only time it screws up for me on that setting is the occasional now-classic changing lanes away from a coming turn. To stay on course.

-Paul

Sort-of. You can change from FSDb to AP while driving but you can't switch back.

You CAN switch profiles while driving. So create two profiles for yourself, one with FSDb enabled, one without. Then you can swap to your heart's content. And I fully understand why you would want to do so!

^^ thats true, for me it starts the lane change suddenly, always to the right, and when the next turn is left it then immediatey tries to turn back left and (yesterday, today) gets stuck blocking two lanes because its too late. So sure, I now drop out of FSD when I see that situation happening, or there is just too much traffic. This multistep step look ahead is sometimes termed reinforcement learning. I feel like the reward for getting into the right lane is too high. I have no idea about the FSD team priority, but this one really feels bad, so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deaf Paul
^^ This is one of the bad behaviors that FSD has on the highway portion of my commute. It always changes to the left lane of the two lane highway 2 blocks (10 seconds) before it needs to get back in the right lane to take the highway exit which is normally backed up with traffic AND over solid white lines, and FSD is unable to do. I have to manually do it, and end up cutting people off/blocking traffic like an asshat.

Reactions: pipestem

-Paul
I believe you can switch driver profiles on the fly, so you could try creating a No-FSD profile (start by copying your current profile and then disable FSD in the new profile).

However, I think a simpler solution is to use FSD, but cancel your navigation destination when you want it to just drive automatically in the current lane, without lane-shifting "to follow route". In this state, it will change lanes automatically upon turn-signal request, but otherwise it generally keeps the current lane. It usually won't make any real turns by itself, unless it kind of has to based on reaching an intersection with no easy straight-through path.

When you get on the highway and you want it to resume navigating and automatic lane selection, then reactivate your desired destination in the navigation screen

Reactions: Deaf Paul
While I can sorta understand it can't be Full Self Driving (Beta) if it is having to ask if it is OK to do a lane change. The whole point is that FSD is making the driving decisions. There is no way it could drive in the city if you have to confirm every lane change, especially the amount of time it takes. You can switch FSD Beta to Autosteer and drive in NoA when you want to confirm lane changes.

View attachment 978278
That makes sense when its no longer beta and works as it should.. until then it is a potential accident waiting to happen